2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Just cant get behind that. We just signed Reed who was a top 10 outside CB. Hall is progressing and is a very nice #2. I'll listen to the debate all day that he's not a #1. Sauce at his size and agility isn't a slot guy. So yes he'd have to beat out 2 very good vet CBs to even start. Which is unlikely for him. So he'd be our 4th CB more than likely. Which would be an awful use of assets when we can use starters in areas.

I can't get behind a 5'9 guy being a teams top outside corner 

5 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

This is a fine question. Not saying he should be the pick. Simply saying he'd be the number one corner. The Saleh d works best when u have a Sherman cut down one half the field type that allows you to shade everyone else the opposition way and let the pressure win 

I disagree, the Saleh D, which is the Pete Carroll D, which is derived from the Tampa 2 Tony Dungy D, works best when the front 4 is making life a living hell for opposing Quarterbacks. Sherman never cut down half of the field also.

25 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Although I wouldn’t necessarily go CB in round 1 I’m not completely against the idea.

If Sauce or Stingley can be a #1 Cb and by that I mean play top tier receivers well then that’s a sure upgrade over a guy like Hall who whilst a solid player is hardly unupgradable (that’s probably not even a word I just made it up!!) 

We have 4 starting Corners in Hall, Reed, Carter and Echols with depth in Dunn and Guidry. It's not like any of these guys are in contract years or approaching 30. 

16 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I disagree, the Saleh D, which is the Pete Carroll D, which is derived from the Tampa 2 Tony Dungy D, works best when the front 4 is making life a living hell for opposing Quarterbacks. Sherman never cut down half of the field also.

the pete carroll d is the cover three, what are you talking about

CB isn't really a need, but then you hear that the Jets had to play a defense that they didn't want last season due to the fact they didn't trust their young CBs covering these guys. Which caused the run defense to suffer as well.

Sauce Gardner is a top talent, so while I think it is unlikely that we take a CB based on how Saleh and Douglas like to build a team. He might be the best player we could take.  

We could end up taking Sauce at #4, take a WR or DE at #10, then trade back up into round 1 and grab a WR or DE. 

But we need a starting WR, starting DE, starting LB, potentially a starting safety out of this draft. 

Yes if Hutch and KT are gone you go Gardner. The rest of these guys are not worth the 4th pick. Why would you draft an edge guy (in my eyes) that will not produce that much. I think Hutch is a little overrated and KT a little under rated the rest is not going to amount to much. You have a bunch of guys that will get 4-6 sacks a year. That is not getting it done. Gardner on the other hand would become the #1 guy who will in my eyes be the best CB in threes years in the league. So would you rather have a guy getting 4 sacks a season or a guy who shuts down half the field. This is why the Jets pick so high because we do not draft stud players. 

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

If Hutch and Thibs are gone, would it shock anyone if JD took Sauce?  Or maybe even Hamilton?  Forget needs, BPA and feelings towards the value of the position.  I am just curious if you would be shocked.

at 4 yes.  Would go against anything he'd done in the past either himself with Jets or Eagles brass

7 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

the pete carroll d is the cover three, what are you talking about

See this is why research is important. Carroll built his Defense based off of the Tampa 2 style, the difference is he played single high on the backend to be able to load in the box with 7. That’s why he need a tangy FS like ET because he didn’t have split coverage on the backend. It’s why many teams have failed trying replicate the Seattle D because there aren’t many Earl Thomas clones.

Saleh has adjusted the scheme but it’s all from the same school. Pressure with the front 4, cover with 7. What happens on the backend changes, what happens up front is consistent across the board with teams who run this scheme.

34 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

LOL. I guess you never saw him back in his prime. The guy was a stud.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

See this is why research is important. Carroll built his Defense based off of the Tampa 2 style, the difference is he played single high on the backend to be able to load in the box with 7. That’s why he need a tangy FS like ET because he didn’t have split coverage on the backend. It’s why many teams have failed trying replicate the Seattle D because there aren’t many Earl Thomas clones.

Saleh has adjusted the scheme but it’s all from the same school. Pressure with the front 4, cover with 7. What happens on the backend changes, what happens up front is consistent across the board with teams who run this scheme.

so he build his defense off the cover two with just one dude back, thus literally nothing like the cover 2.  got it

11 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

go ahead and name all the legit number one corners under 5'11.  I'll wait

I don’t believe is this #1 this, #1 that nonsense first of all. Second of all just check Reed’s metrics in the scheme and if that doesn’t help you then nothing else will.

And again take your coaches word for it if nothing else.