2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

18 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I’m not taking an anomaly like Cincinnati and allowing it to dictate how this team should react. You don’t need a Chase you just can’t be depending on Jeff Smith playing meaningful snaps over the course of the game. 

And even if our weapons are vastly underrated there’s no way to be sure until we’re consistent all around.

Like I said add a couple more pieces to round out the roster and hope Zach takes that next step and I’m sure we’ll be fine.

I don't think winning with a high powered offense is any sort of anomaly. The winning teams in the AFC are putting on track meets and while the Bills had one of the best Ds going into the playoff they put up very little resistance to Mahommes. 

The league is changing. Score a ton of points to eliminate the run game and rush the passer. 

5 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

I don't think winning with a high powered offense is any sort of anomaly. The winning teams in the AFC are putting on track meets and while the Bills had one of the best Ds going into the playoff they put up very little resistance to Mahommes. 

The league is changing. Score a ton of points to eliminate the run game and rush the passer. 

Exactly. Of course we cant have a bunch of nobody's on defense... but we have to score to beat these teams. We wont ever consistently hold these top teams in the AFC to under 20 points. So we have to score to win. Cant score with average players out there. We wont ever be able to compete with them unless Wilson takes big leaps these next couple seasons. But if we don't get him guys like Chase, Higgins, Mixon, Kelce, Hill, Kittle, Samuel, Kupp, OBJ, etc... we're stuck scoring under 20 against teams popping off 30 every week.

You guys can talking about the team doing this or that with the draft and FA, but it all comes down to 1 thing. Is Zach Wilson the QB that will lead this team? As of right now the answer is no. He had the worse start EVER as a rookie QB. Now he did show some flashes but so have other QB's the Jets drafted and they did nothing. Zach has to step it up big time and no more excuses. He is suppose to be this elite talent so let's see it Zach. The first thing he has to do is work on his ball placement. He had he worse ball placement out of all the QB's. I know Josh Allen worked hard and got his down pretty well but Josh was also not s bad as Zach. The other part is his decision process. He has to make better decisions with the ball. Nothing will matter until this is fixed. This is priority number 1 by far in my eyes. You can have the best OL and weapons and that means NOTHING if Zach continues to play like this. I see the Jets building a good strong team and final make the decision to move on from Zach and bring in a good QB that will take you to the super bowl like a Stafford type. 

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely. But there’s no question that you see the best teams all with great weapons. Yes you can make the point 100% it makes no difference unless you have a franchise QB. But we have to maintain the optimism that Wilson can hopefully be that. But I do know that giving him stars around him can only help. Stafford and Burrow have stars around them. And if they had Davis, Moore, Berrios as their WRs… they’d be golfing already.

Your last point is hypothetical so I won’t really dive into that.

My thing was more about saying we have zero talent at the skill positions as if we need some major overhaul. All I’m saying is we have talent and just need to add to it and get some consistency around them(QB, OL, OC)

Thats the difference between on year flash in the pan and long term contending.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He’s done.

Any idea to why he's done? Think he may be someone the Niners are interested in hiring...If he still wants to do the coaching thing.

So what's the game plan to the offseason? How is this team going to make improvements? The roster needs A LOT of help for sure but two top 10 picks sure will help. Get the best corner and OL? Or have to go pass rusher with one of the picks? Lawson is going to come back so that will help but what else? I can't see my guy Saleh getting fired because he's coaching a bad roster. 

45 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

Winning without an OL is. The Chiefs went to the Super Bowl and got blasted because their OL was terrible and they had every weapon you could imagine. They then spent the entire offseason building up their line. 

Even with the Bengals getting to the SB people are still saying they have to protect Burrow and that is true as well as Bobby’s point about having guys who can make plays. It’s a balance of both. The Bengals were forced to 3 step drop because of it, the Chiefs defense is garbage though so it works. The Rams are not the Chiefs on defense on any level. The Titans were overrated and Tannehill played like crap. The Raiders were not that good either. And all 3 of those wins were walk offs. 

Y’all wanting to neglect the OL because of the Bengals is crazy though, no way Douglas is doing that anyway so I don’t need to argue it but for football’s discussion sake the game is still primarily won or loss in the trenches.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Any idea to why he's done? Think he may be someone the Niners are interested in hiring...If he still wants to do the coaching thing.

So what's the game plan to the offseason? How is this team going to make improvements? The roster needs A LOT of help for sure but two top 10 picks sure will help. Get the best corner and OL? Or have to go pass rusher with one of the picks? Lawson is going to come back so that will help but what else? I can't see my guy Saleh getting fired because he's coaching a bad roster. 

He has his own business as a personal QB coach. He makes like 1.5M to 2M doing so and it’s a much better job than NFL assistant. The Jets hired him to give him a behind the scenes look at what they need/expect from Zach and he’ll apply that to his training in the summer.

If he gets hired by an NFL team he won’t able to run his business with pro quarterbacks due to the CBA. 

As for the team the Jets don’t really have too many leaks so it’s tough to know but Douglas and Saleh’s ideologies tell me that we’ll continue to invest in the O-Line and Front 7. I think we bring in an entire tight end room and some receiving depth behind Davis and Moore, I’m not sure what we do with Moore whether becomes the X or primarily plays from the slot. That would depend on how they see Berrios as a slot or if they can find a top talent to blend into the offense. Tight end will definitely be upgraded tho, we played the whole season without one.

Lawson and Becton hopefully come back and play at the level we expect. That alone makes this team better before free agency and the draft. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He has his own business as a personal QB coach. He makes like 1.5M to 2M doing so and it’s a much better job than NFL assistant. The Jets hired him to give him a behind the scenes look at what they need/expect from Zach and he’ll apply that to his training in the summer.

If he gets hired by an NFL team he won’t able to run his business with pro quarterbacks due to the CBA. 

As for the team the Jets don’t really have too many leaks so it’s tough to know but Douglas and Saleh’s ideologies tell me that we’ll continue to invest in the O-Line and Front 7. I think we bring in an entire tight end room and some receiving depth behind Davis and Moore, I’m not sure what we do with Moore whether becomes the X or primarily plays from the slot. That would depend on how they see Berrios as a slot or if they can find a top talent to blend into the offense. Tight end will definitely be upgraded tho, we played the whole season without one.

Lawson and Becton hopefully come back and play at the level we expect. That alone makes this team better before free agency and the draft. 

But what happened with Becton? Why was the coaching staff a little sour on him last season? He looked phenomenal in stretches his rook season. 

The front 7 and OL definitely need to be invested in more. Really good tackle class and OL in general. Some good corners to be had in the top 10 as well. But you guys can spend big on one in free agency as well. I just hope this team gets the right amount of talent because no doubt in my mind if you do, Saleh/LaFleur will figure it out. 

TE's are very important in this scheme. Maybe spend on Schultz? 

5 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Winning without an OL is. The Chiefs went to the Super Bowl and got blasted because their OL was terrible and they had every weapon you could imagine. They then spent the entire offseason building up their line. 

Even with the Bengals getting to the SB people are still saying they have to protect Burrow and that is true as well as Bobby’s point about having guys who can make plays. It’s a balance of both. The Bengals were forced to 3 step drop because of it, the Chiefs defense is garbage though so it works. The Rams are not the Chiefs on defense on any level. The Titans were overrated and Tannehill played like crap. The Raiders were not that good either. And all 3 of those wins were walk offs. 

Y’all wanting to neglect the OL because of the Bengals is crazy though, no way Douglas is doing that anyway so I don’t need to argue it but for football’s discussion sake the game is still primarily won or loss in the trenches.

I'm not saying to ignore O-line. I think our first pick should be an OT/OG, and then a WR. I dont believe our weapons as they stand will be enough. Especially if Berrios wants $9M and shouldn't be resigned at that number...

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But what happened with Becton? Why was the coaching staff a little sour on him last season? He looked phenomenal in stretches his rook season. 

The front 7 and OL definitely need to be invested in more. Really good tackle class and OL in general. Some good corners to be had in the top 10 as well. But you guys can spend big on one in free agency as well. I just hope this team gets the right amount of talent because no doubt in my mind if you do, Saleh/LaFleur will figure it out. 

Becton had surgery for dislocated kneecap and wasn't able to return in shape. Coaches were tired of his frequent tap out during the practice.

Schultz could work if Jets had plan for him.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Becton came into camp out of shape and was getting wrecked by Carl Lawson all summer. Then he got hurt and was supposed to be out 6-8 weeks and never returned to even practice.

Schultz is probably getting tagged. I see a combination of a mid tier free agent and a draft pick. Fan base wants McBride bad. Jets just coached him in the Senior Bowl. 

1 hour ago, Sapo28 said:

I'm not saying to ignore O-line. I think our first pick should be an OT/OG, and then a WR. I dont believe our weapons as they stand will be enough. Especially if Berrios wants $9M and shouldn't be resigned at that number...

Idk how you can say our weapons aren’t enough when we have seen this team at it’s best. Week after week someone was out. I still think we add someone to the receiving room simply because so many guys are free agents but Davis and Moore are talented and can make plays.

6 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Becton came into camp out of shape and was getting wrecked by Carl Lawson all summer. Then he got hurt and was supposed to be out 6-8 weeks and never returned to even practice.

Schultz is probably getting tagged. I see a combination of a mid tier free agent and a draft pick. Fan base wants McBride bad. Jets just coached him in the Senior Bowl. 

McBride would be very good on the Jets. Sign me up for that.

Well, Becton needs to get back to rookie season form then. He's way too talented to slip up this quickly in his career.

So go sign a free agent corner.....Draft an edge and OL in the top 10 and then McBride in day two??