2022 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Wagner to the Rams. 5 years 50M. 

Where are they getting this money? 

Only thing I can think is slightly alternating years and backloading. 

Howie 2.0 definitely is scarred about going over for guys, this year he probably should’ve broken that more. Cap is about to go way up, can slide a lot of that money into future years. 
But I suppose if they don’t think they are contending it didn’t make as much sense.

Bringing Cox back at that number is the one move I find puzzling this year.

40 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Only thing I can think is slightly alternating years and backloading. 

Howie 2.0 definitely is scarred about going over for guys, this year he probably should’ve broken that more. Cap is about to go way up, can slide a lot of that money into future years. 
But I suppose if they don’t think they are contending it didn’t make as much sense.

Bringing Cox back at that number is the one move I find puzzling this year.

Sames. Love Kelce and Cox but why? We have a decent enough IL to get a passing grade at C without Kelce. And if we win it won’t have a ton to do with Cox. Save the money, let young guys compete, draft some replacements, load up for the next year or two. We’re banking on Hurts flipping a switch I don’t think he’s capable of flipping. I guess, worse case scenario, they can be trade deadline bait if they want to make one last run for another team. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Sames. Love Kelce and Cox but why? We have a decent enough IL to get a passing grade at C without Kelce. And if we win it won’t have a ton to do with Cox. Save the money, let young guys compete, draft some replacements, load up for the next year or two. We’re banking on Hurts flipping a switch I don’t think he’s capable of flipping. I guess, worse case scenario, they can be trade deadline bait if they want to make one last run for another team. 

Nah Kelce was still playing at an elite level last year. I'm cool letting him play out as many years as he has left. He's still worth his contract assuming he has something close to last year left in the tank. 

Cox is the one I didn't get and argued against it in the thread, but everyone seemed cool with the price and was just happy to have a familiar face back even if his play has dropped off a good amount. Hopefully we do get a Jordan Davis or some other good DT to bring in and lessen how many snaps Cox has to play. He played like the 4th most amount of snaps after Anthony Harris, Darius Slay and Steven Nelson last year. He's played a ton of snaps over his Eagles career and he's just slowing down now, so I'd rather he be fresher and be able to give his most and I just want other guys to get snaps at this point to develop them. 

Sooner or later all these older guys are gonna have to be moved on from. Jenkins was a hard pill to swallow, but his time was dwindling. We held on to Peters too long. We got rid of Jeffery a little late and that restructure was stupid. We have to become more consistent through the draft to replenish the roster and last year was the first seemingly good draft since 2018 where we got Sweat, Maddox, Mailata, Goedert (+ a 2nd rounder which became Miles Sanders). 

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Eh... I wouldn't say Howie is scarred with going all in for FAs. I think he learned from it.

I think he really wanted Marcus Williams who was arguably a top 5 FA and at least top 10-15. We made a similar offer to the Ravens.

The thing is Howie is more calculated in who he gives money to and age plays a big factor there. Howie is much more likely to be willing to shell out the money for someone in the 24-27 age range rather than 28-30+. Usually he also doesn't go in on like 4-5+ year deals either now. You saw with Hargrave and now Reddick that both their deals were for 3 years. 

Howie isn't the Cowboys. He isn't afraid of free agency, but I also don't think he's gonna play it out how we used to back when we would sign a Asomugha, Maxwell, Murray (although this was Chip), etc. We've made some real bone headed mistakes not factoring scheme, age, etc when going in on FA and that has hurt us in the past. I'd rather learn from that and go for players at good values like a Kyzir White and maybe someone at a fair price who is coming into their prime in Reddick kinda like Hargrave a couple years ago.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

20 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Eh... I wouldn't say Howie is scarred with going all in for FAs. I think he learned from it.

I think he really wanted Marcus Williams who was arguably a top 5 FA and at least top 10-15. We made a similar offer to the Ravens.

The thing is Howie is more calculated in who he gives money to and age plays a big factor there. Howie is much more likely to be willing to shell out the money for someone in the 24-27 age range rather than 28-30+. Usually he also doesn't go in on like 4-5+ year deals either now. You saw with Hargrave and now Reddick that both their deals were for 3 years. 

Howie isn't the Cowboys. He isn't afraid of free agency, but I also don't think he's gonna play it out how we used to back when we would sign a Asomugha, Maxwell, Murray (although this was Chip), etc. We've made some real bone headed mistakes not factoring scheme, age, etc when going in on FA and that has hurt us in the past. I'd rather learn from that and go for players at good values like a Kyzir White and maybe someone at a fair price who is coming into their prime in Reddick kinda like Hargrave a couple years ago.

That’s precisely what I mean though. Marcus got a fair deal, Howie of old would’ve upped it enough to get him.

It’s not an awful thing, just different.

Personally I’d like him to stick to what he says and be a little less sentimental. OL bring back Kelce 100%. But Cox at that number? Yeah Barnett was a solid deal as were Harris, Scott, Ward, etc….but like let guys go and try to find people. It’s not like any of them were giving you high end production.

It’s in these rebuilding years a bit, but once we are really comparing again I hope he gets that killer instinct back. Otherwise we are just relying on him drafting well which I don’t think any of us do.

52 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Nah Kelce was still playing at an elite level last year. I'm cool letting him play out as many years as he has left. He's still worth his contract assuming he has something close to last year left in the tank. 

Cox is the one I didn't get and argued against it in the thread, but everyone seemed cool with the price and was just happy to have a familiar face back even if his play has dropped off a good amount. Hopefully we do get a Jordan Davis or some other good DT to bring in and lessen how many snaps Cox has to play. He played like the 4th most amount of snaps after Anthony Harris, Darius Slay and Steven Nelson last year. He's played a ton of snaps over his Eagles career and he's just slowing down now, so I'd rather he be fresher and be able to give his most and I just want other guys to get snaps at this point to develop them. 

Sooner or later all these older guys are gonna have to be moved on from. Jenkins was a hard pill to swallow, but his time was dwindling. We held on to Peters too long. We got rid of Jeffery a little late and that restructure was stupid. We have to become more consistent through the draft to replenish the roster and last year was the first seemingly good draft since 2018 where we got Sweat, Maddox, Mailata, Goedert (+ a 2nd rounder which became Miles Sanders). 

Kelces got 1 year left, maybe 2 if we’re making any noise. He is absolutely playing at a high level so bringing him back is a no brainer but in the teams current state, don’t think it made 100% sense. Point was, we have guys on the roster that could fill that position decently. Kelce heading off into the sunset wouldn’t have buried us. And really, what’s this year going to bring us? Another .500 season? At this point my concern is progression and finding out who is going to be here for the next 3 years. Opportunity cost and all. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

That’s precisely what I mean though. Marcus got a fair deal, Howie of old would’ve upped it enough to get him.

It’s not an awful thing, just different.

Ah okay. Yeah, I get you then.

25 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Personally I’d like him to stick to what he says and be a little less sentimental. OL bring back Kelce 100%. But Cox at that number? Yeah Barnett was a solid deal as were Harris, Scott, Ward, etc….but like let guys go and try to find people. It’s not like any of them were giving you high end production.

Oh for sure. Nobody understands why he's kinda taking a step back in that regard this offseason. I wanted to move on from a lot of guys sooner. That's why a lot of fans get a "run it back" vibe, especially with us having only signed Reddick in the first week and a half of FA or whatever it was. Really out of all the guys you listed the only absolutely necessary one to have back was Kelce in my eyes, because he makes things so much easier on a young QB being able to call the protections. 

I would've welcomed Cox back at a reduced number, but he's still getting paid like a top DT and got a little more than Hargrave in his prime is getting lol. Small signings that don't have much guaranteed like Ward and Scott don't bother me that much, but neither were necessary. I think Scott is solid value for that small deal though. I was expecting us to possibly keep McLeod over Harris, but thought one could be back, especially if we missed out on the safeties we were targeting which I wasn't expecting.

32 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

It’s in these rebuilding years a bit, but once we are really comparing again I hope he gets that killer instinct back. Otherwise we are just relying on him drafting well which I don’t think any of us do.

I think we've made some nice adds in FA and I expect us to add in the draft and be somewhat active in FA after the draft looking for values still left out there and it seems like there will be a lot of FAs still available after this draft which is kind of odds, cause usually more guys are off the board by now.

9 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Kelces got 1 year left, maybe 2 if we’re making any noise.

That's all we need is 1 or maybe 2 more years maximum from him. 

We probably end up taking a guy in the draft this year to sit and learn behind Kelce this year and some of those guys have guard versatility too in the case they see Dickerson as the future there.

14 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

but in the teams current state, don’t think it made 100% sense.

I don't agree.

15 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Point was, we have guys on the roster that could fill that position decently.

I'd rather have an all time center still playing at a high level occupying that spot.

Kelce has also been underpaid over the course of his career as an Eagle. I was kinda happy to see him get a nice high-ish 1 year deal cause he's still playing at a high level and it makes up a bit for center being undervalued in this league. Cox got paid a ton over his career and I don't feel like he gives the same effort all the time and his play has fallen off quite a bit. If Cox was still playing at a high level I'd have no problem bringing him back on a sizeable deal for one last year, but he just hasn't been.

17 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

And really, what’s this year going to bring us? Another .500 season?

11-6

17 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

At this point my concern is progression and finding out who is going to be here for the next 3 years. Opportunity cost and all. 

I think the Eagles already know what they have in most of the OL already on the roster. Seumalo back when he used to play center was really bad snapping it and didn't look great, so its not a guarantee he moves there and then he's a FA soon anyways. We could play Dickerson there, but I might like him better at guard anyways. I think we have real good depth on the OL, but I'll take another year of a HOF player at a high level if I can get it and I think Sirianni realizes how much easier Kelce made the transition not just for Hurts, but for Nick.

I dislike Cox more cause it probably limits reps that Milton Williams might warrant or someone like a DT in the 1st which is becoming a stronger possibility.

What made Howie different was how aggressive he always was, now it’s the normal in the NFL and the league caught up. Howie used to be the most aggressive gm, and teams were more conservative. That’s changed recently. Makes Howies strategy irrelevant unless he over pays now. 

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That's all we need is 1 or maybe 2 more years maximum from him. 

We probably end up taking a guy in the draft this year to sit and learn behind Kelce this year and some of those guys have guard versatility too in the case they see Dickerson as the future there.

I don't agree.

I'd rather have an all time center still playing at a high level occupying that spot.

Kelce has also been underpaid over the course of his career as an Eagle. I was kinda happy to see him get a nice high-ish 1 year deal cause he's still playing at a high level and it makes up a bit for center being undervalued in this league. Cox got paid a ton over his career and I don't feel like he gives the same effort all the time and his play has fallen off quite a bit. If Cox was still playing at a high level I'd have no problem bringing him back on a sizeable deal for one last year, but he just hasn't been.

11-6

I think the Eagles already know what they have in most of the OL already on the roster. Seumalo back when he used to play center was really bad snapping it and didn't look great, so its not a guarantee he moves there and then he's a FA soon anyways. We could play Dickerson there, but I might like him better at guard anyways. I think we have real good depth on the OL, but I'll take another year of a HOF player at a high level if I can get it and I think Sirianni realizes how much easier Kelce made the transition not just for Hurts, but for Nick.

I dislike Cox more cause it probably limits reps that Milton Williams might warrant or someone like a DT in the 1st which is becoming a stronger possibility.

We’re just fundamentally on different sides. 11-6 would be astounding with where we’re at right now. I don’t see that. I won’t disagree about bringing back Kelce. He’s been awesome, he is awesome and I still think he can be very good. Just don’t see how it makes sense for this current team. If we traded for Wilson? Sure, reload with the established vets. But another year of questions everywhere on offensive outside of OL and it seems as if it’s just another year middling. And if that’s the case, what’s  the point? I mean, I could even see it if Howie did anything to improve the skill positions but he just sat there. 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

We’re just fundamentally on different sides. 11-6 would be astounding with where we’re at right now. I don’t see that. I won’t disagree about bringing back Kelce. He’s been awesome, he is awesome and I still think he can be very good. Just don’t see how it makes sense for this current team. If we traded for Wilson? Sure, reload with the established vets. But another year of questions everywhere on offensive outside of OL and it seems as if it’s just another year middling. And if that’s the case, what’s  the point? I mean, I could even see it if Howie did anything to improve the skill positions but he just sat there. 

We'll revisit this when we are 11-6.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

We'll revisit this when we are 11-6.

They were mostly wrong last year, they'll mostly be wrong again. I thought it was pretty easy to see going into last year just based on the trenches. And that's how I feel again. How some ppl can't see these things I just don't know. 

28 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

They were mostly wrong last year, they'll mostly be wrong again. I thought it was pretty easy to see going into last year just based on the trenches. And that's how I feel again. How some ppl can't see these things I just don't know. 

We beat one team with a winning record last year. 

19 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

We beat one team with a winning record last year. 

Yep. I was of the belief that we had the potential to be a decent team last year, but not a good one. Generally that was correct. I will wait and see till well after the draft to have real thoughts on what our record will be... but I don't see us being significantly better than last year unless Hurts takes a massive leap.

The good news though: we are currently slated to have another weak SOS which should help us.