2022 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

6 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I didn't know Philly was such an unattractive destination for "high profile" players, but this last couple of season have shown exactly that. 

I think it starts with the QB. If you got a perennial pro bowler or a young stud, guys are more willing to come to destinations not exactly glamorous. But there was a time when players wanted to come here. TO specifically. It’s all about what kind of state the franchise is in. If you’re not backing the truck up for a FA then most other teams are going to look more attractive. And also, Howie has numbers to consider and he sticks to them. He’s not going to overpay at the peril of his cap. It’s just how he does business. And also, also; there’s times to push in and times to sit out. I don’t think it’s time to push in. Build up the core and maybe in a year or two, we’d be ready to add some big pieces in FA. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I think it starts with the QB. If you got a perennial pro bowler or a young stud, guys are more willing to come to destinations not exactly glamorous. But there was a time when players wanted to come here. TO specifically. It’s all about what kind of state the franchise is in. If you’re not backing the truck up for a FA then most other teams are going to look more attractive. And also, Howie has numbers to consider and he sticks to them. He’s not going to overpay at the peril of his cap. It’s just how he does business. And also, also; there’s times to push in and times to sit out. I don’t think it’s time to push in. Build up the core and maybe in a year or two, we’d be ready to add some big pieces in FA. 

To top it off, Philly isn't exactly a city players want to play in, a fanbase with very bad rep, ruthless media, cold weather. Free agents wanted to play for Andy Reid, Nick Sirianni has a very long way to go for that. 

3 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

To top it off, Philly isn't exactly a city players want to play in, a fanbase with very bad rep, ruthless media, cold weather. Free agents wanted to play for Andy Reid, Nick Sirianni has a very long way to go for that. 

I’d take a little offense to that. The right kind of athlete wants to play here. They aloof ones or not very determined ones struggle. I mean, ask a Jason Kelce or Brian Dawkins if Philly is a bad city to play for. We don’t much care for a guy who wants to just skate through a career. If you do things right, we love you. If not, we criticize you. For good reason, I’d add. I don’t know how many athletes got their “pass out of town” and really succeeded elsewhere. Media can be tough. But that’s because they won’t keep a job in a sports city with soft ball reporting. Sirianni will get there. He seems to be more of a players coach than say a Doug Pederson was. Players wanted Andy because he was successful and structured. That comes with time. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I’d take a little offense to that. The right kind of athlete wants to play here. They aloof ones or not very determined ones struggle. I mean, ask a Jason Kelce or Brian Dawkins if Philly is a bad city to play for. We don’t much care for a guy who wants to just skate through a career. If you do things right, we love you. If not, we criticize you. For good reason, I’d add. I don’t know how many athletes got their “pass out of town” and really succeeded elsewhere. Media can be tough. But that’s because they won’t keep a job in a sports city with soft ball reporting. Sirianni will get there. He seems to be more of a players coach than say a Doug Pederson was. Players wanted Andy because he was successful and structured. That comes with time. 

It's not for players who get upset when they're reminded they played bad. Now I'm a nobody and I know what I do doesn't equate, but when I'm bad at my job I don't expect to be patted on the back. I think, since these guys are elite athletes, most of them have come up their whole life knowing they're better than most people at what they do. When they find out they aren't, they can't handle being reminded of it. Some guys it doesn't phase, or they work harder because of it.

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Whatever the reason that’s the perception and we can’t take offense on having a bad rap for only wanting the right kind of athlete her. Hell, even the “right kind of athlete” if given the choice would chose another city, as it looks to be that way. 

I have never understand why to play here you need to act a certain way, as if we had some rich tradition of winning.

As for the media, I would rather have our media sh*tty as it is, than having the Cowboys media that babies and hypes every player. That doesn’t change the fact that they can be pretty crappy with the players.

Maybe Sirianni will get there, who knows. Maybe Howie is a factor, Jim being a well known Richard, and maybe he has an effect on that like the coaches.

30 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Whatever the reason that’s the perception and we can’t take offense on having a bad rap for only wanting the right kind of athlete her. Hell, even the “right kind of athlete” if given the choice would chose another city, as it looks to be that way. 

I have never understand why to play here you need to act a certain way, as if we had some rich tradition of winning.

As for the media, I would rather have our media sh*tty as it is, than having the Cowboys media that babies and hypes every player. That doesn’t change the fact that they can be pretty crappy with the players.

Maybe Sirianni will get there, who knows. Maybe Howie is a factor, Jim being a well known Richard, and maybe he has an effect on that like the coaches.

Maybe it’s exactly what you’re referring to but I don’t see anything wrong with how we handle sports and athletes. I think it’s pretty simple; we expect athletes in this town to play as if it was us in those uniforms. You don’t event have to be uber talented. That’s never what it’s been about. Just leave it all on the field and play to the potential we know you have. That’s really when we start to get angry. Unrealized potential, not taking accountability and not doing what’s needed to be done to improve. Markel Fultz is more beloved than Ben Simmons in this town. That embodies all of it. Guys not taking criticism and instead whine about the town being too tough is just a deflection for whatever excuse they have for not getting the job done or trying to improve. I don’t know about you, but I need that in almost every facet in my life, sports included. I think we grow tough skins and that makes winners. It’s not the only component to winning but guys that take the challenge thrive on it (Dawkins, Kelce, Iverson, Embiid) and those that don’t (Rolen, Drew, Simmons, Reagor, McNabb(to and extent)) fold and give up or maintain bitterness. Accept your faults, meet them head on, fight to get better, take the hard road if necessary, don’t make excuses and exhaust yourself doing it. And we’ll love you. Anything less you’ll be just another athlete “run out of town”. That’s cool with me. I don’t want guys like that representing my city anyway. 

Sorry, that was way less about what you said and more a note to the city but point stands; soft don’t work here. And frankly, we don’t want it to work here. We’d rather lose tough than win soft. I truly believe that. 

11 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Maybe it’s exactly what you’re referring to but I don’t see anything wrong with how we handle sports and athletes. I think it’s pretty simple; we expect athletes in this town to play as if it was us in those uniforms. You don’t event have to be uber talented. That’s never what it’s been about. Just leave it all on the field and play to the potential we know you have. That’s really when we start to get angry. Unrealized potential, not taking accountability and not doing what’s needed to be done to improve. Markel Fultz is more beloved than Ben Simmons in this town. That embodies all of it. Guys not taking criticism and instead whine about the town being too tough is just a deflection for whatever excuse they have for not getting the job done or trying to improve. I don’t know about you, but I need that in almost every facet in my life, sports included. I think we grow tough skins and that makes winners. It’s not the only component to winning but guys that take the challenge thrive on it (Dawkins, Kelce, Iverson, Embiid) and those that don’t (Rolen, Drew, Simmons, Reagor, McNabb(to and extent)) fold and give up or maintain bitterness. Accept your faults, meet them head on, fight to get better, take the hard road if necessary, don’t make excuses and exhaust yourself doing it. And we’ll love you. Anything less you’ll be just another athlete “run out of town”. That’s cool with me. I don’t want guys like that representing my city anyway. 

Sorry, that was way less about what you said and more a note to the city but point stands; soft don’t work here. And frankly, we don’t want it to work here. We’d rather lose tough than win soft. I truly believe that. 

I can see that very much being the case, because we seem to do a lot of losing, tough and soft. 

And obviously our kind of fandom or us caring much more than other cities about the how the players act or the image they project doesn't really translate on what we see on the field/pitch/court/park  because our teams are not filled with "right kind of athletes".