GDT: Bengals @ Titans (Return of The King Edition)

Mesa_Titan

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Well, Might just take next year off. 
See ya'll again in 2023-24

i’ll still follow the team but if we’re running it back with downing and tannehill i’m definitely not making time to sit down and watch most of the games. waste of time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

A RPO where he didn't even think to run it. 
Bengals knew it. They brought a blitz to the 2 WR side knowing he'd likely try to hit it quick. Got his hands up. 
Even if completed the safety rotated down pretty quickly. 
Tannehill makes a bad throw right into the guy starring him in the face. 

When he could have decided to run the ball. 

Hate is a word that is kind of strong. But I hate it. 

It likely is an RPO, yet still, with the blitzing nickel that's 7 defenders (plus a safety 7 yards off the LoS) in the box against 6 blockers. Pretty sure the numbers disadvantage and the blitzing nickel both dictate pass here, so again, what's really the issue? Why should he hand off the ball in that situation?

Just now, Andrei01 said:

It likely is an RPO, yet still, with the blitzing nickel that's 7 defenders (plus a safety 7 yards off the LoS) in the box against 6 blockers. Pretty sure the numbers disadvantage and the blitzing nickel both dictate pass here, so again, what's really the issue? Why should he hand off the ball in that situation?

Because our run game was turning the tide. Run it till they stop you. That's your identity. Supposed to be. 
We've run it with more defenders. 
There was room to run. 

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Because our run game was turning the tide. Run it till they stop you. That's your identity. Supposed to be. 
We've run it with more defenders. 
There was room to run. 

And that would have been fine if they called a run, but if that's an RPO, based on what he's seeing pre-snap the pass was most likely the correct read. I am assuming that, I am obviously not privy to whether or not he's instructed to hand off even if they're showing numbers advantage in the box.

1 minute ago, Andrei01 said:

And that would have been fine if they called a run, but if that's an RPO, based on what he's seeing pre-snap the pass was most likely the correct read. I am assuming that, I am obviously not privy to whether or not he's instructed to hand off even if they're showing numbers advantage in the box.

Perhaps.
Either way it was a failure by playcall and execution. 

Run the ball. 

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Perhaps.
Either way it was a failure by playcall and execution. 

Run the ball. 

Or simply a hell of a play by Hilton. I know it might sound like a crazy idea, but other teams/players are also capable of making great plays. And it was a particularly great play on his part.

7 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Or simply a hell of a play by Hilton. I know it might sound like a crazy idea, but other teams/players are also capable of making great plays. And it was a particularly great play on his part.

Yup. And lucky. Both tips were perfectly batted in to the air to be caught. While we dropped a guaranteed pick six. Sometimes it just be like that. 

8 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Seems to happen to Tannehill often on plays like that. Maybe he’s not recognizing the blitz which is kind of hard to believe with Hilton right there on the LOS.

15 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Seems to happen to Tannehill often on plays like that. Maybe he’s not recognizing the blitz which is kind of hard to believe with Hilton right there on the LOS.

It’s the blitz that makes the throw to Rogers the read. It’s the action of the RPO that’s supposed to open up the throwing lane. Like, in that situation, what you’re not supposed to do is run the ball into a stacked box with an unblocked DB coming off of the edge. You want to get it out to your slot in space with a blocker.

Now, the problem is that we’ve put this play on tape like a dozen times throughout the year. And your play caller should probably have recognized that when he ran literally the exact same play from the exact same formation against the exact same look in the first quarter, nobody on the defense was fooled and it gained three yards after almost being picked. And that maybe you don’t need to go back to it when it looked like they were expecting it.

Great play and read by Hilton. Stupid call given the circumstances.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Well, he is. The blitz dictates pass in this situation, I would assume. The bubble receiver is now playing against off coverage with only the safety over the top, which is what you would want in this situation. There's the fake run element to it that should normally at least keep the blitzing player second guessing, only in this case it doesn't, Hilton guesses pass all the way. For whatever reason.

I guess maybe a Mahomes would have been able to sidearm it around the defender somehow because... well, he's Mahomes, but the rest of the world isn't. He tried to throw it quick and over the defender's head, which is the only way that play could work in that instance, before the safety has time to crush down on the screen and before the blitzing defender has time to close down the lane all the way.

Not sure why he should have run against a loaded box, but pretty sure he made the correct read. Hilton just ended up making an incredible play on the ball.

12 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It’s the blitz that makes the throw to Rogers the read. It’s the action of the RPO that’s supposed to open up the throwing lane. Like, in that situation, what you’re not supposed to do is run the ball into a stacked box with an unblocked DB coming off of the edge. You want to get it out to your slot in space with a blocker.

Now, the problem is that we’ve put this play on tape like a dozen times throughout the year. And your play caller should probably have recognized that when he ran literally the exact same play from the exact same formation against the exact same look in the first quarter, nobody on the defense was fooled and it gained three yards after almost being picked. And that maybe you don’t need to go back to it when it looked like they were expecting it.

Great play and read by Hilton. Stupid call given the circumstances.

Yes, pretty much this.