GDT: Bengals @ Titans (Return of The King Edition)

Mesa_Titan

10 minutes ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

I just don't see Vrabel turning around and replacing him. The team got through so much adversity during the regular season. The offense put up points at times. Not saying I agree with the thought process trying to think as Vrabel would. He's stubborn that is likely his thought process. 

This was my feeling before the playoffs, and I think it made sense before that.  But when you finally have the whole offense healthy, and put up that miserable performance as a playcaller, with extra time too, then clearly it wasn't so much that Downing managed to right the ship through adversity as much as it is we had a really talented team top to bottom, and won a lot of games even with mediocre offensive production.

And I know you're not defending Downing either, but that line is not gonna sell well to fans.  We limp through that game and get killed by the Chiefs, then sure.  That probably works, but if there's no change in offensive personnel, I'm gonna be pissed.

We're pretty locked in to what players we have on that side of the ball, so we can't really effectively rebuild the whole unit like we did with the defense.

I'm hoping that Vrabel is just being loyal to his subordinate before a thorough look at what needs to change, but I don't know.  We'll see.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This was my feeling before the playoffs, and I think it made sense before that.  But when you finally have the whole offense healthy, and put up that miserable performance as a playcaller, with extra time too, then clearly it wasn't so much that Downing managed to right the ship through adversity as much as it is we had a really talented team top to bottom, and won a lot of games even with mediocre offensive production.

And I know you're not defending Downing either, but that line is not gonna sell well to fans.  We limp through that game and get killed by the Chiefs, then sure.  That probably works, but if there's no change in offensive personnel, I'm gonna be pissed.

We're pretty locked in to what players we have on that side of the ball, so we can't really effectively rebuild the whole unit like we did with the defense.

I'm hoping that Vrabel is just being loyal to his subordinate before a thorough look at what needs to change, but I don't know.  We'll see.

Can not go into the season changing nothing on that side of the ball. Like you said with defense at least you could see physical changes:
Coaches
Dupree
Autry 
Cunningham
Jenkins
Hooker moved to starter
Molden
NaQuan Jones
Oly(from Pittsburgh)
Farley drafted in 1st.

They poured into the defense and we got positive change.

Offensively, they need to do change the OC and/or QB.  Those are the only two acceptable moves in my book. If you don't do one or both at the least, the season will be over before it starts. 
Yeah we could add a speed WR, TE, Upgrade the RT, get younger at LT.  But all that means squat if you have a QB that can't be productive along with an OC that doesn't know how to get the most of his weapons. 

Ryan is near impossible to move but if I'm Robinson I explore every avenue up to giving up multiple first round picks to get a QB (Move up in draft or get Wilson/Rodgers). 

11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Can not go into the season changing nothing on that side of the ball. Like you said with defense at least you could see physical changes:
Coaches
Dupree
Autry 
Cunningham
Jenkins
Hooker moved to starter
Molden
NaQuan Jones
Oly(from Pittsburgh)
Farley drafted in 1st.

Offensively, they need to do change the OC and/or QB.  Those are the only two acceptable moves in my book. If you don't do one or both at the least, the season will be over before it starts. 
Yeah we could add a speed WR, TE, Upgrade the RT, get younger at LT.  But all that means squat if you have a QB that can't be productive along with an OC that doesn't know how to get the most of his weapons. 

Ryan is near impossible to move but if I'm Robinson I explore every avenue up to giving up multiple first round picks to get a QB (Move up in draft or get Wilson/Rodgers). 

See, I don't think there's gonna be a good way to replace Tannehill this season, at all.  If you're a team trying to offload a QB because he just played the worst game of his career in the playoffs, that's a tough sell to get any team to give much for him.

Add to that the cap hit, and it just doesn't make sense.

As for moving up, I'm of a similar mindset.  We have very little draft capital.  If you want to move on from Tannehilll, you don't want to also put your new QB in a ****ty situation right off the bat by having no draft capital and a tight salary situation.

If a QB that you like falls to you, you can pull the trigger.  Lamar Jackson was picked at the bottom of round one, and Jordan Love fell to our exact pick, so there are QBs that fall to that spot.  It'd be better if you could move down and build future draft capital, because then you can move up in a potentially better draft class in 2023 with more ammo and a better supporting cast, still sit them behind Tannehill for a year, and bring them into a good team as a polished product.

But yeah.  I'd like to see some change in the offensive staff, primarily because I think change at QB is unrealistic.

32 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

This is where you go ape and blame Downing for going back to a play within the same game. 
And
Going back to a play in the same game that didn't work.

AND

going to a player who has never worked

AND!!!

I still want to die.

5 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Coaches
Dupree
Autry 
Cunningham
Jenkins
Hooker moved to starter
Molden
NaQuan Jones
Oly(from Pittsburgh)
Farley drafted in 1st.

We're not getting Rodgers. I doubt we could even get Wilson, but that would make more sense, for both sides.

Also, this is just a hunch, but I believe Radunz will be our starting LT and soon.

16 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

We're not getting Rodgers. I doubt we could even get Wilson, but that would make more sense, for both sides.

Also, this is just a hunch, but I believe Radunz will be our starting LT and soon.

I agree about Radunz. Always felt he was a more natural LT than right. I still wouldn’t be shocked if we cut Lewan this offseason along with Saffold. Still leaves holes at LG and RT though even if we slot in Radunz at LT.

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

Completely agree that it will not work for the fans. But I just think that's what Vrabel will peddle out along with players have to execute better. 

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I agree about Radunz. Always felt he was a more natural LT than right. I still wouldn’t be shocked if we cut Lewan this offseason along with Saffold. Still leaves holes at LG and RT though even if we slot in Radunz at LT.

Heard on the radio we could release Lewan, Saffold, and Janoris Jenkins today and instantly get $30 million.  We could then sign them back for more cap friendly deals, but that is where some money can come from right away.

Lewan is a question mark anyway. Jenkins is probably not getting cut and Saffold is up in the air. 

47 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Heard on the radio we could release Lewan, Saffold, and Janoris Jenkins today and instantly get $30 million.  We could then sign them back for more cap friendly deals, but that is where some money can come from right away.

Lewan is a question mark anyway. Jenkins is probably not getting cut and Saffold is up in the air. 

I think Saffold is gone one way or another. He has the neck or shoulder issue that’s hampered him all season so I could see retirement actually. Jenkins is iffy. He definitely played well down the stretch but he’s certainly expensive and isn’t getting any younger. Radunz just needs to be a starter next year at some spot. I don’t know if Lewan would resign if they just actively cut him. Does that happen at all really? He wants his money for sure and still plays like arguably a top 10 LT when healthy. I just can’t see them making another hole on the OL

Vrabs wasn't exactly glowing about Taylor's play in his end of the season presser. Vrabs messes with him a lot too though, so it might have just been Vrabs joking on him a bit. He said something along the lines of "Taylor played okay. Got a little better as the year went on, but he was okay." 

Not the best endorsement for your franchise LT, but Vrabs doesn't just hand out compliments to guys either. I could see things going either way with Taylor this year. I don't wanna lose him, but I could see the team seeing Radunz waiting in the wings and clearing up some cap space as very tempting.