Ravens fire DC Wink Martindale

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Is he a good DC though? Just to aggressive or what?

I mean, he's okay...idk. I think our talent on defense overall masked his schematic issues for the past couple of years. That, or there's just things going on behind the scenes with him and Harbaugh that fractured that relationship.

But like others have said, his inability to get edge pressure naturally combined with him just wanting to run cover 0 all day combined with how many big plays we gave up probably resulted in this. You don't go from like top-10 DVOA to bottom 4 DVOA just because you lose Marcus Peters.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean, he's okay...idk. I think our talent on defense overall masked his schematic issues for the past couple of years. That, or there's just things going on behind the scenes with him and Harbaugh that fractured that relationship.

But like others have said, his inability to get edge pressure naturally combined with him just wanting to run cover 0 all day combined with how many big plays we gave up probably resulted in this. You don't go from like top-10 DVOA to bottom 4 DVOA just because you lose Marcus Peters.

Well said. 

Well I don't want to celebrate a man's firing, but I think the Ravens will be better served. Wink's defense was obviously dynamite when Lamar and the offense were scoring half their drives and chewing up 35-40 minutes of clock per game, but once the offense regressed you could see the defense was a paper tiger.

Hopefully the new coordinator will bring a scheme that will allow Queen and Oweh to play fast and aggressive, to their strengths.  

Wink definitely had to go.. Not only did we not have success this year but the combined successes of the pass rushers that have left the building is mind blowing… Between Z.Smith Yannick and Judon it really paints a bad picture of martindale… His need to consistently blitz our best corner on the field (whoever that was at the time) knowing we had an injured secondary this year was beyond me… I mean we consistently allowed career highs in passing yards week after week.. it seemed like it was a constant miscommunication on the field… like literally half the big plays this year we’re due to blown coverage… it was so many times guys didn’t know what their assignment was… I recall one presser where harbaugh said… “We have to kno whether or not the guys we have on the field are capable of executing the plays we are calling”… might not be an exact quote but it was something along those lines… We need a guy who believes in putting his players in position more than the system just working because they drew it up a certain type way… it was a lot of stubborn play calling this year… adjustments were non existent and we either played reactionary or over aggressive… A changed was well needed… 

Edited by bmorecareful
  • Like 1