Rank the current HC openings

squire12

5 hours ago, StatKing said:

Suprised Minnesota isn't higher on people's list. I get the Kirk Cousins hate, but if Rodgers leaves he is by far the best QB in a weak division. That offense is absolutely loaded, and the defense has a nice mix of vets and youth. All they need to have is one good draft and I could easily see them being a 11-13 win team next year. Draft another pass rusher to pair with Hunter, grab another CB and maybe a linemen or two and that team is set.

Biggest thing in MNs favor is a rock solid ownership group and state of the art facilities. The practice facility and headquarters is phenomenal. The owners aren’t afraid to spend money and stay far away from the football side of the team. 

There’s obviously major question marks at QB and on defense. The defense has to be rebuilt but resources are limited with Cousins set to make $45m. So of course do you trade him or extend him? If you trade him, you’ll get cap flexibility but could have a disastrous first year. If you extend him, you’ll probably be in the playoff mix if you can get the defense around league average. The division looks potentially weak if Rodgers leaves so 8 to 9 wins may be enough.  But if you extend him, what’s the long term QB plan. Kind of stuck in QB purgatory. The defense is in serious trouble though, there’s maybe two players you can feel good about in Kendricks and Smith. Who knows with Hunter. Everyone else is a free agent it seems. 

Im not a draft expert but it appears to be a bad QB year in the draft. So might make more sense to build up draft resources for the 2023 draft and get a QB next year to start in 2024 with Cousins here for two more years. At least with an extension, there may be enough cap flexibility to add enough talent to be a playoff team. I think that’s a big deal for a first year HC in terms of establishing a winning culture.

Edited by vikingsrule

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Brand new stadium with lots of revenue, and a very good defensive line that creates a lot of pressure. DL’s win championships. Top 3 TE and Best Slot WR in the NFL. A good RB Duo. They just made the playoffs in a tough division.

As for the QB situation, you can either trade Carr for a 1st and 2nd (I would) or roll with him. A good offensive scheme with a good OL and weapons, and Carr can be a Top 12 QB yearly. I’m not a fan of “Top 12” though. But if Jim Harbaugh came, Carr is much better than Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick, and he turned both of those guys into studs. 

The OL needs to be rebuilt, need a new #1 WR with Ruggs gone, and we need a good LB. This team is not far off from being very good. 

So you don't consider Cooper Kupp a slot WR? He moves around a lot (plays more out of the slot though) so that's cool, just wanted to make sure.

Vikings are by far and away number one. The WRs and RBs, OL talent. Just need to fix the defense and they could be a 12 win team, especially if Rodgers leaves.

Every other team needs an extreme culture makeover. 

Raiders and Dolphins are over achieving teams who will likely keep winning 6-9 games each year to keep you from picking in the top 5.

Giants, Jags, Texans, Bears are complete messes.

6 hours ago, StatKing said:

Nobody is giving a 1st round pick for Carr. Any GM that does will be out of a job in 2 years.

You really don't realise the market rate for QBs do you. He'd absolutely go for a first rounder, Stafford went for 2 first, a 3rd + a salary dump, Wentz went for a 3rd and conditional 1st but he had a mega contract whereas Carr's is really cheap. Darnold went for a 2nd & 4th and 6th. 

Denver = 1 QB away.

Miami = 1 OL away.

Minnesota = 1 defense away.

Las Vegas = Miami + Minnesota = 1 OL and 1 defense away.

Chicago = 1 QB away, as always.

NY Giants = 1 QB, 1 OL, and 1 defense away.

The No Go Zone:

Jacksonville = Meth lab explosion.

Houston = Meth lab explosion at a sewage treatment plant.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Biggest thing in MNs favor is a rock solid ownership group and state of the art facilities. The practice facility and headquarters is phenomenal. The owners aren’t afraid to spend money and stay far away from the football side of the team. 

There’s obviously major question marks at QB and on defense. The defense has to be rebuilt but resources are limited with Cousins set to make $45m. So of course do you trade him or extend him? If you trade him, you’ll get cap flexibility but could have a disastrous first year. If you extend him, you’ll probably be in the playoff mix if you can get the defense around league average. The division looks potentially weak if Rodgers leaves so 8 to 9 wins may be enough.  But if you extend him, what’s the long term QB plan. Kind of stuck in QB purgatory. The defense is in serious trouble though, there’s maybe two players you can feel good about in Kendricks and Smith. Who knows with Hunter. Everyone else is a free agent it seems. 

Im not a draft expert but it appears to be a bad QB year in the draft. So might make more sense to build up draft resources for the 2023 draft and get a QB next year to start in 2024 with Cousins here for two more years. At least with an extension, there may be enough cap flexibility to add enough talent to be a playoff team. I think that’s a big deal for a first year HC in terms of establishing a winning culture.

If Rodgers leaves I think its a no brainer to give Cousins a 2 year extension. He will easily be the best QB in the divison for the forseeable future and you dont want to mess up the chemistry he has with Jefferson. I dont know what the cap ramifications would be but I would try to move off of Barr and Thielen. Use any money they can get off that to shore up the interior DL and draft the rest. 

16 hours ago, Forge said:

If Jax canned Baalke, I think all is well there. Khan is a bit of a clown / moron, but I don't believe that he's overly intrusive in the day to day running of the team (Jags fans correct me if I'm wrong) and he's shown a willingness to spend money in the past. 

Khan sucks because of his processes/lack of knowledge. He gives the GM and coach all they want/need to succeed but keeps hiring the wrong people and retains those wrong people at the helm for far too long.

It’s incredibly frustrating.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lancerman said:

Advantage to Jags is you get Lawrence and unless you are a complete Urban Meyers mess, Khan will give you time. You have nowhere to go but up. 

Unless the Lawrence detractors are right and he's just not really a Franchise QB. 

If you're next man up and it's still ugly, you're going to get blamed long before the Chosen One. 

• Like 1