Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Another thing I would point out league wide...Brian Flores seems to have disappeared from these HC conversations...would be interesting to hear how he is putting people off so much.

My guess is he probably wants too much power with personnel decisions. Also have to wonder who he'd bring to be his staff after being let go so unexpectedly

• Like 1

Just now, GOGRIESE said:

I'd rather have Poles and Quinn. I imagine Poles gets the first chance tomorrow to lock down the job. 

Like I said a few days back for me Quinn would be a knock out hire...I think he is a quality coach...I would love to know what the connection between him and Poles is and why Poles is such a big fan...if they have real synergy and or on the same plage about how we are going to build moving forward...and both love Fields...then I think that combination would be great too.

Brad Spielberger, Esq.

@PFF_Brad

13m

One note: I said I’d heard Monti Ossenfort and Eliot Wolf are expected to be GM finalists in Chicago along with Ryan Poles… Didn’t mean to suggest that’s it. Still two GM candidates interviewing today. But I do believe those two get another look

If Brown doesn't make it and it is those two give me Poles all day long...especially over Wolf who I really don't like.

If we do hire Dan Quinn...just how pissed off will Ryan Pace be? Pace wanted Quinn back in 2015 and instead got told he was having John Fox...he gets fired and we then hire Quinn...small world...

I really want to know if Brown gets a face to face interview and Eberflus is then right back in the game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

If we do hire Dan Quinn...just how pissed off will Ryan Pace be? Pace wanted Quinn back in 2015 and instead got told he was having John Fox...he gets fired and we then hire Quinn...small world...

I really want to know if Brown gets a face to face interview and Eberflus is then right back in the game.

That's the real question. If any of the guys today are getting a face to face interview. Cuts out the need for them to come back. Interview Poles early tomorrow and announce a GM later that day. 

Just now, GOGRIESE said:

That's the real question. If any of the guys today are getting a face to face interview. Cuts out the need for them to come back. Interview Poles early tomorrow and announce a GM later that day. 

The fact the Brown interview kept getting pushed back makes me wonder if it was face to face...I still think the fact he never even interviewed elsewhere shows that most of the NFL put us and Brown together...for me him and Eberflus are still the favourites for the jobs.

Aaron Leming

@AaronLemingNFL

·

1m

Maybe I haven’t paid a ton of attention in past years but this seems like a new strategy. Interviewing coordinator candidates for an HC candidate you just interviewed but haven’t offered the job to yet. Not knocking it, either.

Quote Tweet

Pat Leonard

@PLeonardNYDN

· 22m

Source: Giants requested an interview with Cowboys’ Joe Whitt Jr. for their defensive coordinator position. Whitt, 43, is Dallas’ defensive passing game coordinator/secondary coach. Worked under Dan Quinn in Atlanta (2020) & Dallas (2021). Quinn interviewed for NYG HC job today.

Quinn grew up a Giants fan...maybe that plus the fact they are interviewing his current DB coach puts them in the driving seat for him.

I am just at the point of waiting and seeing. While there are only a few HC candidates that I am firmly against I would be fine with several and over the moon with a few.

To me if you get the right GM you can support the HC, if not you undercut him. I am hoping with Brown or whoever if they do hire a defensive HC then they already have a strong plan for the OC. Any GM should know that Fields is the one they need to elevate to retain the job for 10+ years. If you support him and he develops into a top 10 QB then your job is damn near sacred in Chicago. If he busts then you might not get to pick a 2nd. Same for the HC.

• Like 1

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-interview-steelers-omar-khan-colts-morocco-brown-general-manager-job

Brown possesses 21 years of NFL experience, including the past five seasons as Colts director of college scouting. During that span, Indianapolis has drafted center Ryan Kelly (2016) and guard Quenton Nelson (2018) in the first round and linebacker Darius Leonard (2018) and running back Jonathan Taylor (2020) in the second round.

Brown spent seven seasons as the Bears' assistant director of pro personnel from 2001-07, a period during which the team won three division championships and one conference title. Throughout his time in Chicago he worked with Chris Ballard, a Bears scout who hired Brown in Indianapolis after becoming Colts general manager.

Brown entered the NFL in the spring of 2000 as a scouting intern with the Colts before joining Washington later that year as an assistant scout.

After leaving the Bears, Brown served as Washington's director of player personnel (2008-13) and Browns vice president of player personnel (2014-15).

As a player, he was a four-year letter-winning linebacker at North Carolina State, where he led the team in tackles for three straight seasons and was a two-time All-ACC honorable mention selection.

This just sounds like the right kind of resume to me.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Brown possesses 21 years of NFL experience, including the past five seasons as Colts director of college scouting. During that span, Indianapolis has drafted center Ryan Kelly (2016) and guard Quenton Nelson (2018) in the first round and linebacker Darius Leonard (2018) and running back Jonathan Taylor (2020) in the second round.

Braden Smith in that 2018 draft was a personal pick of Brown who was the one that projected him as a RT even though Ballard and the rest of the FO though he couldn't do it and was a guard only...some other quality picks over the past few years for the Colts in the mid to later rounds...

NT Glover Stewart - 4th round

LB - Anthony Walker - 5th round

RB - Nyheim Hines - 4th round

S - Khari Willis - 4th round

LB - Bobby Okereke - 3rd round

S - Julian Blackmon - 3rd round

WR - Michael Pittman Jr - 2nd round

No coincidence that a lot of these mid round defenders went on to be good starters at their positions.

• Like 2

Sounds like Matt LaFleur fully expects Nathaniel Hackett to get a head coaching job. He said he would promote from within and "it's not going to be an easy decision."

Maybe I had this all wrong...

Bears - Eberflus
Giants - Quinn
Broncos - Hackett
Texans - Gannon
Jags - Leftwich
Dolphins - Daboll
Vikes - Bowles?
Raiders - Harbaugh?

That could make some sense given what we are hearing.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Too bad for Pace . That's just a rumor for all we know and probably still wouldn't make up for the bad move he made to draft Mitch over a Hall of famer in Mahomes.