Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah I read that and couldn't believe it was from Biggs...usually his stuff is really balanced but that was just a stupid story...even having the Giants at #7 was just crazy...both these franchises will have quality candidates at both GM & HC to pick from.

I am negative about the Bears. Even I think Weiderer is over the top negative.

• Like 1

Slam Dunk Hires

Dan Quinn – Quinn is known as a great leader and culture guy…he has changed his defence from Cover 3 to being a lot more varied and aggressive in Dallas and it has paid off…I think the year away from being a HC but still working for a successful team this year will have gave him time to reflect on where he went wrong but also see what good looks like…he had some really good offensive staffs early in Atlanta and while this fell away towards the end of his run in Atlanta he should still have access to some pretty good contacts on that side of the ball…Atlanta probably regret letting him go given the struggles they have had since even after the massive failure in the Superbowl loss to the Pats…46-44 Overall HC record shouldn’t be overlooked nor should the fact he and Ed Dodds worked for Seattle together…this is the hire Ryan Pace wanted to make before getting lumped with John Fox so could be fate…issues would be can he lock in an OC that can build around Fields and run the offensive side of the ball effectively?

Brian Daboll – Daboll should be the pick if we want to focus every effort we can on Justin Fields…he has a ton of experience with different QBs in different organisations and has taken an extremely raw Josh Allen who share a stack of qualities with Justin Fields and turned him into a superstar…he is purely in charge of that offence playing under a defensive focused HC…he has taken average talent around Allen and turned them into really good players…he has a lot of links to a lot of excellent coaches around the NFL and should be able to bring in a successful coaching staff…he could have Joe Schoen with him in the front office which would be an excellent hire as well…concerns would be he is a first time coach and you never 100% know what you’re going to get.

Can see why they would be Hired

Byron Leftwich – Leftwich has been praised for his leadership from multiple sources from his college days to being a player to now being a coach…he would bring the vertical offence that I feel Fields would be the best fit for and he has access to some really experienced coaches around him who could help guide him early as a HC…that said much like Hackett he is in an excellent position of being under Arians and with Brady at QB (did do well with as well Winston thought) he also has a crazy amount of talent to work with which he wouldn’t have here.

Matt Eberflus – Bit of a left field one but Eberflus is known for having created an outstanding culture with the Colts…he has also taken a ton of mid to late round picks and turned them into excellent defensive players…his intensity would be a different approach for this team and something I feel we really need…concerns would be what his offensive staff would look like and the fact he is a 1st time HC who would want to come here and change the defence to fit his scheme.

Brian Flores – I love Flores’ defence…super aggressive front seven that hits the QB a ton…has did an excellent job of winning games with subpar QB play over the years going 24-25…concern would be his lack of ability to keep an OC…develop a QB…very intense guy but seems to have taken it a bit far with ownership as well as some coaches and players…not sure leaving one spot and going straight into another job is the way to learn from those mistakes

Todd Bowles – Bowles has an excellent defence in Tampa…has been developing their high pick DBs for the past few years behind an excellent front seven which is exactly what we need to do here over the next few seasons…seen as an excellent leader and motivator…concerns and the reason he is so low on this list is because his HC record was 26-41 including 3 of 4 multiple double digit loss seasons…could never produce a quality offence or develop a QB…that is a major downfall in my eyes.

No Interest in Hiring

Nathaniel Hackett – In a really got spot under LaFleur and with Rodgers his job is made pretty easy…was seen as a failed OC in both Buffalo and Jacksonville…my hope is that we are simply using this in order to find out a bit more about the inner workings of the Packers offence so we can hand the folder to our new coach…what we have seen out the Packers offence when Jordan Love is in there should be enough to say no way right there.

Doug Pederson – Caught lightning in a bottle the year Philly won the Superbowl but then did nothing outside of that…take away that season and he went 33-36…probably a big reason Nagy got a job here as he was also one of Andy Reid’s tea boys in Philly & KC…I suspect he would bring a lot of similar ideas which again isn’t the way forward.

Leslie Frazier – Would be 63 years old before he coached his first Bears’ game…for context he is only 3 years younger than John Fox…was a big-time failure as a HC in Minnesota going 21-33-1…is being credited for the Bills defence but as he is a Cover 2 guy at heart and the Bills are super aggressive up front I would suggest that D is much more Sean McDermott’s…soft spoken dude who I just don’t feel fits the culture we are going to need to create here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Brian Daboll – Daboll should be the pick if we want to focus every effort we can on Justin Fields…he has a ton of experience with different QBs in different organisations and has taken an extremely raw Josh Allen who share a stack of qualities with Justin Fields and turned him into a superstar…he is purely in charge of that offence playing under a defensive focused HC…he has taken average talent around Allen and turned them into really good players…he has a lot of links to a lot of excellent coaches around the NFL and should be able to bring in a successful coaching staff…he could have Joe Schoen with him in the front office which would be an excellent hire as well…concerns would be he is a first time coach and you never 100% know what you’re going to get.

If we go first time HC this is my choice. Beyond the obvious Allen-Fields stuff, I like Kmet in a Dawson Knox type role. Can year 3 Mooney fill, say, 85-90% of the Diggs role? I think so. Beasley is a solid slot option, but the rest of their WR beyond that are just guys, yet the offense remains remarkably efficient. That gives me a ton of optimism about what Daboll could get done here even if we can’t stack the receiving corp with studs for him. Also, for as much criticism as Daboll gets about his run game, they average nearly 130 ypg on the ground. A big chunk of that is Allen, but we should expect Fields will be a significant part of ours too. QB runs aside though,  Singletary/Moss/Breida combined for 310/1340/12 (4.30 ypc) this year, and had 70/497/4 receiving. By comparison, Monty/Herbert/Williams had 368/1446/11 (3.93 ypc) and had 72/500/1 receiving. Their backs were more efficient despite being less talented (IMO). That bodes well for our backs in the Daboll system. 

• Like 3

Jeremy Fowler

@JFowlerESPN

5h

A source close to Jim Caldwell says the former NFL head coach is expecting to be interviewed for the Chicago Bears head coaching job. Several NFL officials also say Caldwell - the former Detroit Lions and Indianapolis Colts head coach - is a presumed candidate for the Bears job.

Add Caldwell to the no's for me...66 years old...don't need a HC for 5 years tops.

Interesting that this is the first day of the search where only one candidate has been announced for interview...could be they want half a day off from it...or could be we are interviewing someone not currently employed within the NFL so don't need to announce it ahead of time...Caldwell? Riddick? More likely than Harbaugh or Day which won’t happen now.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Jeremy Fowler

@JFowlerESPN

5h

A source close to Jim Caldwell says the former NFL head coach is expecting to be interviewed for the Chicago Bears head coaching job. Several NFL officials also say Caldwell - the former Detroit Lions and Indianapolis Colts head coach - is a presumed candidate for the Bears job.

Add Caldwell to the no's for me...66 years old...don't need a HC for 5 years tops.

It was only a matter of time before Polian forced that one

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It was only a matter of time before Polian forced that one

I don't mind brining Caldwell in for an interview since he has been around a lot of good and a lot of bad and could provide an insight however he shouldn't be close to getting this job.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If we go first time HC this is my choice. Beyond the obvious Allen-Fields stuff, I like Kmet in a Dawson Knox type role. Can year 3 Mooney fill, say, 85-90% of the Diggs role? I think so. Beasley is a solid slot option, but the rest of their WR beyond that are just guys, yet the offense remains remarkably efficient. That gives me a ton of optimism about what Daboll could get done here even if we can’t stack the receiving corp with studs for him. Also, for as much criticism as Daboll gets about his run game, they average nearly 130 ypg on the ground. A big chunk of that is Allen, but we should expect Fields will be a significant part of ours too. QB runs aside though,  Singletary/Moss/Breida combined for 310/1340/12 (4.30 ypc) this year, and had 70/497/4 receiving. By comparison, Monty/Herbert/Williams had 368/1446/11 (3.93 ypc) and had 72/500/1 receiving. Their backs were more efficient despite being less talented (IMO). That bodes well for our backs in the Daboll system. 

I think even bigger picture Daboll’s offence this season were criticised for their rushing attack and their redzone efficiency…they finished 6th overall in rushing yards per game at 129.9 YPG & YPC at 4.8…they also finished 6th Overall for TD percentage in the Redzone scoring a TD 63.08% of the time they got down inside the 20…for context on that one we were 30th in the NFL last year with 47.92%...even when people say he is too pass heavy it’s actually not the case…they are 5th in passing Attempts with 38.5 per game and 13th in rushing attempts with 27.1 per game…running on 41.1% of their offensive snaps really isn’t unbalanced in today’s NFL especially when you have an elite QB and not the best RBs…

Even the things Daboll’s offence has been criticised for they are still almost top 5 in the league for.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Kooky is fine with me if he can evaluate talent and build a good roster (which he showed over an extended stretch that he can). IMO it’s far less an issue with a GM than it would be with a HC who’s interacting with the team every day. 

GM: Rick Smith // HC: Brian Flores

Solid ying-yang I would think

• Like 1

18 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Similar to when they hired Pace Bears will probably hire Cook because of his connections to Chicago (Cubs) and because he'll be cheaper and probably more agreeable than some of the other bigger names on their interview list.

Not saying he's not qualified but honestly never heard of this guy before now and it would be a pretty uninspiring hire for me. I'm hoping they make a splash GM hire

I don't want someone that wins the interview based on charm, charisma etc.

Find me the best MF'ing GM.

17 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Overrated. This is the same guy who asked Dez Bryant in a pre draft interview if his mother was a prostitute...

Yup, and with the whole Richie Incognitio fiasco said Jonathan Martin should have punched Richie.

Dude is a clown and if he becomes GM I might just hand in my Bears card.

16 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah I read that and couldn't believe it was from Biggs...usually his stuff is really balanced but that was just a stupid story...even having the Giants at #7 was just crazy...both these franchises will have quality candidates at both GM & HC to pick from.

In his defense, those were the responses he got from people around the league.