Ravens Hire Former LB Coach/Michigan DC Mike Macdonald as Defensive Coordinator

Ray Reed

I don't really have anything to add here, other than I'm intrigued to see what kind of system he runs and what he places value in. I hope he's able to maximize our edge rushers and secondary and not just blitz 24/7, but I also don't want that Greg Mattison 4-man rush defense or the Dean Pees "bend but don't break" garbage. A healthy blend of everything, if you will.

The task at hand now becomes upgrading the personnel on defense.

If Campbell and/or Williams aren’t here next year, there’s going to be a lot of needs on that side of the ball IMO.

Outside of Humphrey and Peters - who are both coming off surgery - who are our defensive cornerstones? Madubuike is a solid player but hasn’t lived up to the camp hype the past few years. Queen seems to be either complete garbage or red hot and all over the field on any given day and you never really know which. Chuck Clark is solid but he kind of represents our D as a whole: outside of the Rams game just simply doesn’t make enough impact plays. Oweh we have as a promising young pass rusher.

Outside of OL and possibly TE I think we’re going to see a very defensive heavy draft in April. Something like 7ish of the 11 picks.

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

This will be the first time the Ravens haven’t directly promoted from within to fill their DC position since Marvin Lewis. Pretty wild.

Although this is about as “internal” as an external hire can get 😂

I was about to say exactly this. This is probably the most external internal hire we've had under Harbs lol.

He was definitely a name I was keen on early on in the process, so I'm cautiously optimistic here. Not sure how he makes the transition from college to NFL, but I welcome a young, fresh face in the room for once.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

The task at hand now becomes upgrading the personnel on defense.

If Campbell and/or Williams aren’t here next year, there’s going to be a lot of needs on that side of the ball IMO.

Outside of Humphrey and Peters - who are both coming off surgery - who are our defensive cornerstones? Madubuike is a solid player but hasn’t lived up to the camp hype the past few years. Queen seems to be either complete garbage or red hot and all over the field on any given day and you never really know which. Chuck Clark is solid but he kind of represents our D as a whole: outside of the Rams game just simply doesn’t make enough impact plays. Oweh we have as a promising young pass rusher.

Outside of OL and possibly TE I think we’re going to see a very defensive heavy draft in April. Something like 7ish of the 11 picks.

One of the two will definitely be back between Calais and Williams. I expect Wolfe to be back healthy as he just had hip surgery. Folks have differing opinion on him but he's an elite run stuffer. 

I'd say Madibuike comes as advertised. He's a solid fldfenskve linemen who does things that don't always show up on the stat sheet. 

Queen was waaaaay more good than he was bad this year. Open field tackling remains his weakest point by far. Year 3 is normally the "aha" moment for ILBs. So let's hope for the best. 

Chuck Clark is a great leader but man he was a liability out there this year. Whether it was not having the supporting cast or not. I'd like to see him take a Co Cap role soon and just be on the field for a moderate amount of plays going forward and let Stephens grow slowly. 

I'd agree that there's a super defensive draft coming up and even a defensive heavy FA. Tyrann Mathieu is someone I assume EDC has admired for some time. He tried landing him last time he was a FA but he chose the Chiefs. If they don't go that route I wouldn't rule out a Chandler Jones or Von Miller type signing to play opposite Oweh. They could groom him and still be a force giving us a potentially hellish pass rush. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't really have anything to add here, other than I'm intrigued to see what kind of system he runs and what he places value in. I hope he's able to maximize our edge rushers and secondary and not just blitz 24/7, but I also don't want that Greg Mattison 4-man rush defense or the Dean Pees "bend but don't break" garbage. A healthy blend of everything, if you will.

As a Michigan fan I thought that MacDonald did a pretty good job playing up to the strengths of the defense's best players to help cover areas of weakness or play to those players individual strengths. I never felt that their blitzes were predictable and the packages varied too.

Most Michigan fans knew he was only gonna be around for a few years max if he was successful but it still sucks to lost him after one season. I guess he didn't like the never ending recruiting grind (who can blame, him?).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

If he's hired will be be pounding the table for Ojabo? Could be intriguing. 

Would be great if Aiden Hutchinson was like "I'm only willing to play for Coach Macdonald at the next level, so don't bother picking me unless he's your club's DC". Essentially demanded to be selected by the Ravens. He'd probably have to throw in something about the Holocaust never happening and repealing the 19th Amendment too 😂... but I think all of that combined might get him down to pick #14 for us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Would be great if Aiden Hutchinson was like "I'm only willing to play for Coach Macdonald at the next level, so don't bother picking me unless he's your club's DC". Essentially demanded to be selected by the Ravens. He'd probably have to throw in something about the Holocaust never happening and repealing the 19th Amendment too 😂... but I think all of that combined might get him down to pick #14 for us.

Hey, I'll take it 🤣🤣