49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

I am going to be so sad when DJ Jones signs with one of the Florida teams

You have to think we knew what we had in this guy, and have tried to sign him to a learn term contract in the past. I like to think our FO/team is pretty self aware. He was a FA last year. We should have given him a three year deal, easy. 

DJJ has been making splash TFLs look routine for a few years now. I imagine he does it in practice all of the time. 

The big money wasnt there for him last offseason with the cap going down, so he took a one year deal and will absolutely test free agency again. We arent going to be able to stop him from testing the market. 

Someone is going to offer him huge money. The only way to keep him is going to be willing to follow the rams down the rabbit hole and start making "all in" type moves. I am sure that CA taxes and COL will be accounted for by DJJ so we will absolutely need to make a competitive offer.

I have to say though, it seems like most of our team just rents apartments in Santa Clara somewhere during the season and then lives elsewhere. Considering the NFL is a fall/winter sport, it doesnt sound so bad to live from August - mid jan in the bay area and then move wherever else as it starts to warm up. Basically, you dont have to spend 10m on a house that would cost 2m elsewhere to play ball here, but you do have to be comfortable staying in an apartment for 4-5 months out of the year. Probably easier when you dont have kids. 

Edited by N4L

13 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Lance turning into even a bottom-of-the-top-10 QB would make this team good for a pretty long time. 

I see people hedging their bets on Lance, saying he hasn't proven anything and he might be a bust. Those seem to be the same people who also hate on Jimmy. So my counter point to them is : if Jimmy is terrible, and Kyle managed to get us to the NFCCG twice with him, imagine what he could do with someone only slightly better. Imagine what he could do with someone who is significantly better. Trey doesn't need to be Mahomes to take this team to a whole new level. He just needs to add an explosive dimension to the offense and learn to be aware of LBs dropping back into zones...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, N4L said:

You have to think we knew what we had in this guy, and have tried to sign him to a learn term contract in the past. I like to think our FO/team is pretty self aware. He was a FA last year. We should have given him a three year deal, easy. 

DJJ has been making splash TFLs look routine for a few years now. I imagine he does it in practice all of the time. 

The big money wasnt there for him last offseason with the cap going down, so he took a one year deal and will absolutely test free agency again. We arent going to be able to stop him from testing the market. 

Someone is going to offer him huge money. The only way to keep him is going to be willing to follow the rams down the rabbit hole and start making "all in" type moves. I am sure that CA taxes and COL will be accounted for by DJJ so we will absolutely need to make a competitive offer.

I have to say though, it seems like most of our team just rents apartments in Santa Clara somewhere during the season and then lives elsewhere. Considering the NFL is a fall/winter sport, it doesnt sound so bad to live from August - mid jan in the bay area and then move wherever else as it starts to warm up. Basically, you dont have to spend 10m on a house that would cost 2m elsewhere to play ball here, but you do have to be comfortable staying in an apartment for 4-5 months out of the year. Probably easier when you dont have kids. 

I think there's a chance we re-sign DJ. People look at the contracts we're going to give to Bosa and Deebo, and thinks it's unfeasible, but supposing we use the whole 25m of Jimmy's contract to sign guys, I don't think Bosa and Deebo take all the 25 in 2022. Deebo would get a bigger raise, of course, because he's making next to nothing. But Bosa, making around 10-11m in 2022 (that is already accounted for), would probably just increase his cap hit by 5 or 10 millions in 2022, I would think. A year 1 of a Bosa extension could possibly be under 20m, but since he's already budgeted for more than half of that with his current contract, the increase is the only part we have to worry about, not the total number. Deebo could increase his by 5-10 millions as well, and the remaining 5+ (from Jimmy's contract, not counting other contract manipulations that could give us more flexibility) would still be a decent basis for a deal for DJ. Year 1 of a deal rarely reflects the entirety of the deal. It's either made bigger to take advantage of cap room, in order to make the rest of the deal smaller, or it's made smaller, to just fit with the salary cap, pushing more money further down the line. That's what we'll have to do with Deebo and Bosa this year anyway. That's what we did with Trent last year. I wouldn't sign DJ Jones to a 6 year deal or anything. But we can have that smaller first year, a decent increase after that, and try to make up for the total money by offering more guarantees. 

I think it could happen. But... I think the plans for this roster were initiated a couple of years ago. The day it was decided to trade Buckner, I think these guys already had an idea for the coming years. The salary cap situation altered this a little, with so many guys willing to take one year deals to return, waiting for the cap to increase again. But overall, I think there is a masterplan that included letting go of guys like Mostert, Wilson, Tomlinson, Tartt, DJ Jones, K'Waun Williams, and one of the outside corners. I think that plan always accounted for Jimmy's contract not being what it is at this point to make things work. Before we traded up to draft a QB, the assumption might have been that Jimmy would be in line for an extension, and we could use that 2022 year to reduce his cap hit, to re-sign a Bosa, for example. Drafting Trey probably hasn't changed a lot about the masterplan for 2022, in my opinion. It doesn't change a lot about 2023 and 2024, perhaps. And that's a good thing, because the season Deebo had changed a lot about 2023-24 as well. 

22 hours ago, Forge said:

What's the price tag that you would be willing to move McGlinchey for if you knew that your starting right tackle would be Tom Compton next year? 

Hell, I'd move him for a conditional fourth that could bumped up to a third with playing time kickers. His 10 mil on the books is irritating af for me personally.

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I see people hedging their bets on Lance, saying he hasn't proven anything and he might be a bust. Those seem to be the same people who also hate on Jimmy. So my counter point to them is : if Jimmy is terrible, and Kyle managed to get us to the NFCCG twice with him, imagine what he could do with someone only slightly better. Imagine what he could do with someone who is significantly better. Trey doesn't need to be Mahomes to take this team to a whole new level. He just needs to add an explosive dimension to the offense and learn to be aware of LBs dropping back into zones...

I don't think it's hedging bets. I think it's is just wanting to see what unfolds. I have high hopes for the kid. But to not understand nor acknowledge the warts in his game right now and how far he has to go is just not being rational. 

I totally think he'll be better QB than Jimmy. But how long will it take him to get there is the kicker. Will be better in his second year? By his third year? And when I say better, I mean better from the pocket. Because ultimately that's how you'll have to compete and beat the Mahomes and the Allens of the league. I have no doubt he'll be more dymamic and create more splash plays. But those 3rd down throws in crtitcal moments where you have to identify and understand what the defense is trying to force you to do, counter it and do it accurately, in the face of the a rush. That's where I'm waiting to see the maturation take shape.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I think there's a chance we re-sign DJ. People look at the contracts we're going to give to Bosa and Deebo, and thinks it's unfeasible, but supposing we use the whole 25m of Jimmy's contract to sign guys, I don't think Bosa and Deebo take all the 25 in 2022. Deebo would get a bigger raise, of course, because he's making next to nothing. But Bosa, making around 10-11m in 2022 (that is already accounted for), would probably just increase his cap hit by 5 or 10 millions in 2022, I would think. A year 1 of a Bosa extension could possibly be under 20m, but since he's already budgeted for more than half of that with his current contract, the increase is the only part we have to worry about, not the total number. Deebo could increase his by 5-10 millions as well, and the remaining 5+ (from Jimmy's contract, not counting other contract manipulations that could give us more flexibility) would still be a decent basis for a deal for DJ. Year 1 of a deal rarely reflects the entirety of the deal. It's either made bigger to take advantage of cap room, in order to make the rest of the deal smaller, or it's made smaller, to just fit with the salary cap, pushing more money further down the line. That's what we'll have to do with Deebo and Bosa this year anyway. That's what we did with Trent last year. I wouldn't sign DJ Jones to a 6 year deal or anything. But we can have that smaller first year, a decent increase after that, and try to make up for the total money by offering more guarantees. 

I think it could happen. But... I think the plans for this roster were initiated a couple of years ago. The day it was decided to trade Buckner, I think these guys already had an idea for the coming years. The salary cap situation altered this a little, with so many guys willing to take one year deals to return, waiting for the cap to increase again. But overall, I think there is a masterplan that included letting go of guys like Mostert, Wilson, Tomlinson, Tartt, DJ Jones, K'Waun Williams, and one of the outside corners. I think that plan always accounted for Jimmy's contract not being what it is at this point to make things work. Before we traded up to draft a QB, the assumption might have been that Jimmy would be in line for an extension, and we could use that 2022 year to reduce his cap hit, to re-sign a Bosa, for example. Drafting Trey probably hasn't changed a lot about the masterplan for 2022, in my opinion. It doesn't change a lot about 2023 and 2024, perhaps. And that's a good thing, because the season Deebo had changed a lot about 2023-24 as well. 

Deebo & Bosa's cap numbers likely won't go up much, first off, they won't save $25M, or I should say net $25M, when they trade Jimmy, they'll end up with somewhere between $12M-$14M, due to them being over the cap, they'll be at least $8M-$10M over, as they have to tender their 5 ERFAs(Hasty, Jennings, McKivitz, Givens, & Flannigan-Fowles), that will cost $4.405M, then they need to decide on their RFAs(Brunskill, Street, & Al-Shaair), I assume they'll try & re-sign them to contracts cheaper than what the tenders are expected to be(Right of First Refusal being $2.433M, Original Round Tender being $2.54M, 2nd-rd tender being $3.986M, & 1st-rd tender being $5.562M), they did this with Jeff Wilson Jr., Ross Dwelley, Marcell Harris, & Emmanuel Moseley last offseason.

Back to Deebo & Bosa, Deebo's base salary escalated to $3.936M due to making the pro bowl, so I expect them to end up reducing it to $965K, use the difference to make the prorated portion of his signing bonus, somewhere in the $15M range($3M a yr prorated), so it'd go up by like $29K, as for Bosa, they can't do this, but, he has a training camp roster bonus, $4,305,225, turn that into the prorated portion of his signing bonus, likely $30M($6M a yr prorated), his cap hit would go up by just $1,694,775.

There's no way Deebo & Bosa's cap numbers increase, especially by $5M-$10M, you look at what happened with Kittle, & Warner, their salaries didn't go up much, Kittle was like $3M, Warner's didn't, so this is what they'll likely do, along with low cap numbers in 2023.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, N4L said:

At some point, you just have to triage that interior defensive line. There's a good chance Street is back next year (RFA), we still have Kinlaw and I assume AA will remain on the interior. Givens is still kicking around as well. I'd expect Hurst to come back given his struggles to stay healthy this year at a very cheap rate (unless he just wants to try something new), and unlike last year, the interior defensive line market is pretty good in the draft. Good opportunity to take a guy like Travis Jones or a guy like Eric Jonson. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Hell, I'd move him for a conditional fourth that could bumped up to a third with playing time kickers. His 10 mil on the books is irritating af for me personally.

The 10M cap hit doesn't bug me so much. It's lower than a guy like Fant and it's about half of the current top of the market. Its probably pretty good. 

But in my decade around here, I'm reasonably sure that I've never disliked a draft pick selection more. I went damn near full on meltdown in the draft forum when the rumors started that we were going to take him a little before the draft. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

The 10M cap hit doesn't bug me so much. It's lower than a guy like Fant and it's about half of the current top of the market. Its probably pretty good. 

But in my decade around here, I'm reasonably sure that I've never disliked a draft pick selection more. I went damn near full on meltdown in the draft forum when the rumors started that we were going to take him a little before the draft. 

I've never been a fan of taking a RT that high, or a RG, unless that guy is a Quenton Nelson level player, which I would love to have, but we were never getting him, he wasn't gonna fall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was cool with the pick. He wasn't a sexy draftnik sleeper pick like Aldon was but I thought he would be a very steady RT for years to come. I really didn't think he was as a stiff and unathletic as he is. His senior tape kinda fooled me, I'll admit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I was cool with the pick. He wasn't a sexy draftnik sleeper pick like Aldon was but I thought he would be a very steady RT for years to come. I really didn't think he was as a stiff and unathletic as he is. His senior tape kinda fooled me, I'll admit. 

I wanted Minkah pretty bad that year. Roquan and Edmunds were also super high on my life. I know some wanted Derwin. McG struck me as the type that you took at the bottom of the first and he just happened to get pushed up by a relatively weak tackle class. But he's been about the most predictable NFL player ever. Never thought he was going to be a particularly good pass protector and always thought he was going to make a quality run blocker and that's exactly what he turned into lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wes Welker is leaving to go with McDaniel. Damn, Deebo is going to be devastated. During all the interviews he was conducting, he kept thanking Wes and McDaniel for helping him take his game to the next level. 

Staff is being completely gutted now lol.

What's he going as? He's already receiver's coach here. That had to be worked out beforehand I'm assuming. Sort of a weird move unless he's getting bumped up the ladder. 

I'm assuming we move Hankerson up to WR Coach now.