49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

30 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

@49erscapCan the 49ers ask Jimmy too remove the injury guarantee and they will cut him? Like is that within the rules?

Tbh I think there's a massive chance Jimmy gets cut.

Like @Forge said I don't know why he would do that, I don't think he gets cut, I think he gets traded by the time the new league year opens up.

Edited by 49erscap
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Yep. 

It's a good move by Jimmy and his agent. He can show his cards now and you can't force him to take a paycut to stick around with the niners, nor is he under any obligation to restructure for a team. So unless that team is just flat out willing to pay him his entire salary this year (very unlikely), that's likely going to tank any real option to trade him. He doesn't need to put on the face of a good soldier now and he doesn't have to play ball. 

49ers brass got smoked by Yee. 

Maybe i'm missing something, but I'm not sure how they got smoked by Yee. Any trade would only be official with a physical so its not something we could hide even if we wanted to. And according to Lombardi the partial injury guarantee was from making the 2019 NFCCG so this was 2 years in the making anyway. And since its a 4 month recovery, even waiting an extra month after the season for surgery didn't delay anything as he would still likely miss spring OTA's/mini camp and be healthy for TC either way. 

It just feels like unfortunate timing that he injured his shoulder in the cowboys game. If he was healthy we probably could have won it all since his play took a noticeable dip in the 2nd half of the cowboys game. But, thats part of the reason we're moving on 

6 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Maybe i'm missing something, but I'm not sure how they got smoked by Yee. Any trade would only be official with a physical so its not something we could hide even if we wanted to. And according to Lombardi the partial injury guarantee was from making the 2019 NFCCG so this was 2 years in the making anyway. And since its a 4 month recovery, even waiting an extra month after the season for surgery didn't delay anything as he would still likely miss spring OTA's/mini camp and be healthy for TC either way. 

It just feels like unfortunate timing that he injured his shoulder in the cowboys game. If he was healthy we probably could have won it all since his play took a noticeable dip in the 2nd half of the cowboys game. But, thats part of the reason we're moving on 

Because it was never official that he was going to need surgery. Jimmy was just expected to rehab after the season to improve his shoulder. There was a chance that he would need surgery but it wasn't a complete known fact. It gets released right now at the start of the combine when Yee knows the talks will really start to pick up for him. Instead of getting traded to a team he may not prefer, he now gets the $7.5M and will get to pick his new team....I think getting the $7.5M out of SF here is the biggest thing. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

He needs to be gone in less than 2 weeks (this is the biggest issue).

He could have had this surgery pretty much any time between the end of the season and now and he waited until the last moment. If he has this after the loss, he could have been back by OTAs in late May (and certainly could have been back for mandatory mini's in June) but the thought was that he could just rehab it.  He's not even scheduled to have the surgery until next week which means team don't even have a really good idea on how the surgery went when they acquire him. The surgery now is a complication if I'm acquiring him as another team, especially if you have to rework a deal, you know what I mean? You going to give him the extension if you don't know how a recent surgery went? I'm not sure that anyone is taking him on at the current rate even if they can technically afford him. The surgery now definitely impacts the trade market if I'm a team looking to acquire him. He can't throw with receivers, you don't really know how the surgery went, etc. 

So having the surgery now could make it so that he doesn't get traded at all...then he can pick his destination and make about the same amount of money. 

That said...this is much more interesting: 

That means he's definitely cuttable if need be. 

• Like 4

If there really is an offset to his injury guarantee, however....then doing this to angle for a cut makes little sense if we are being honest. 

At that point its more likely that he tried to rehab the shoulder and it wasn't getting better. 

Hopefully inquiring teams were already aware that this was going to happen and it's not a grenade going off. 

Good points @J-ALL-DAY@Forge

But yeah he'll likely make way more than $7.5 mil on the market anyway. Probably will get at least a bridge QB deal somewhere

I guess the bigger impact would be finding a more preferable situation. Although, the teams linked to Jimmy through speculation or past history are all decent teams with a QB - Steelers, Commanders, Colts, etc. 

Raiders would be a wildcard if McDaniels doesn't want to commit to Carr longterm

Texans have Caserio who drafted him but it makes more sense to sink or swim with Mills anyway 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Forge said:
4 hours ago, GW21 said:

Why do you think they'd want that outcome? Do you think he'd be able to make what he's scheduled to make next year as a FA?

He'd get 7.5 from us no matter what so then he only has to make up less than 20M on the open market in a year with a decided lack of QB options if the big guys aren't moving. I think he can make that up relatively easily, plus he'd get to pick his destination. Even if he misses by just a bit in his overall salary, its probably not that big of a deal. 

Not to mention the fact that the team he plays for next will undoubtedly sign him to a longer deal. 

If he is a FA, he can negotiate with multiple teams and leverage them against each other, whereas if he gets traded, he has to negotiate a contract with only one team.

He will probably make more as a FA, even if he signs with whatever team would have been the team to trade for him. 

4 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

My guess is from the start Yee asked for Jimmy to be cut.

Last offseason I was banging the drum of "lets ask jimmy to take a paycut because he isnt worth 25 freaking million dollars" 

I was told that it would never happen. I kept saying the easy route would have been to simply make him a FA in 22.

Paying him 25m, playing him when he was injured knowing he had a 7.5m injury guarantee for 22, having him play like dog poop in the NFCCG, then cutting him and getting nothing is such a debacle that I cannot put it into words. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, N4L said:

Paying him 25m, playing him when he was injured knowing he had a 7.5m injury guarantee for 22, having him play like dog poop in the NFCCG, then cutting him and getting nothing is such a debacle that I cannot put it into words.

Yeah this is turning into a mess if they can't get a trade done. Luckily the 7.5 million is offset.