Predict the QB carousel

paul-mac

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The question is whether or not he's actually available. If I were the Vikings, I'd have him available for sure. I don't love the idea of Cousins on an extension. I don't think people realize that he's entering his age 34 season, and his contract will start at age 35. He's a guy I think that ages like Matt Ryan...It's not a bad QB, but it's a bad value contract. And the Vikings can really go year for year with him on the tag given his prior history. So get what you can for him now and turn the page. 

The big difference with Cousins and Wilson / ARod / Stafford is his arm talent is only average.  The other 3 have elite arm strength.   That skill set is what ages gracefully.   If you don’t have it you’re prone to rapid skill decline.     You add in the cost and the lower overall impact - yeah, I get why Minny might think this is the window to maximize return.   

Ryan, Eli, Rivers, Brees, Big Ben (by injury taking away his plus arm) - very common theme.   If you have a cannon aging is less of a concern minus serious injury.  But it’s only average rapid decline is very much a concern.   

To be clear Cousins is BY FAR the best of the non-elite tier of potentially available QB’s.   He’s head & shoulders above JimmyG.   But being 34, having only average arm strength, and being 35M?   It’s easy to see why he’s still in the next tier after ARod / Russ / Watson.    There’s a massive gulf between those 3 and the next tier impact-wise.    Cousins just happens to be at the top of the next tier, but it’s a significant gap from the top 3 elite guys potentially available.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The big difference with Cousins and Wilson / ARod / Stafford is his arm talent is only average.  The other 3 have elite arm strength.   That skill set is what ages gracefully.   If you don’t have it you’re prone to rapid skill decline.     You add in the cost and the lower overall impact - yeah, I get why Minny might think this is the window to maximize return.   

Ryan, Eli, Rivers, Brees, Big Ben (by injury taking away his plus arm) - very common theme.    To be clear Cousins is BY FAR the best of the non-elite tier.   He’s head & shoulders above JimmyG.   But being 34, having only average arm strength, and being 35M?   It’s easy to see why he’s still in the next tier after ARod / Russ / Watson.    There’s a massive gulf between those 3 and the next tier impact-wise.    Cousins just happens to be at the top of the next tier, but it’s a significant gap from the top 3 elite guys potentially available.   

Also, Cousins is GOAT tier of contracts lol. 

I mean, that's a dude who knows how to maximize and I have seen nothing that suggests that he's going to take less or something. Even if you extend him short term, you just know he's going to do something like 2 years / 82 million or something lol 

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Also, Cousins is GOAT tier of contracts lol. 

I mean, that's a dude who knows how to maximize and I have seen nothing that suggests that he's going to take less or something. Even if you extend him short term, you just know he's going to do something like 2 years / 82 million or something lol 

To be fair, Cousins just took advantage of ideal market situation.   Back in 2018, it was either him at 3/84 or Case Keenum at 2/36 (as expensive as it was, Cousins was the right call).   Then he extends at 2/66M when the best available FA's were Philip Rivers, Teddy Bridgewater, Cam Newton & Jameis Winston (now it probably could have been argued that Jameis would have been far better to save $$ on - TB12 chose his spot, and Brees/Tannehill, so they weren't realistic options).   MIN chose to backload it big-time to make the 2022 cap hit ugly. 

Cousins would probably extend for 35M per season, not 40M....but it's still crazy $ to spend, given the risks AND the pick capital needed to acquire him, and the fact his impact isn't elite-level.   You give him a complete team (like say Tampa), yeah they've got a shot for sure.   But you pay him 35M+ AND give up a Day 2 (if not an earlier pick in a QB-needy contender market)?  It gets REALLY iffy then.  And again, I say that with the absolute belief he's miles ahead of JimmyG and the rest of the non-elite available QB's.