BDL 2017 Week 9: Portland Horned Owls @ Gotham Gashslayers

Whicker

Portland Horned Owls @ Gotham Gashslayers  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Portland Horned Owls
    • Gotham Gashslayers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/2017 at 03:00 PM

BDL 2017 Week 9: 

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For people who have been following along and wish to vote: please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (GTD) are game-time decisions.

Portland's Offense:

QB1: Derek Carr
RB1: Jordan Howard
WR1: Sammy Watkins
WR2: Davante Adams 
WR3: Jermaine Kearse
TE1: Austin Hooper
LT:  Alejandro Villanueva 
LG: J.C Tretter
C:  Ben Jones
RG: Ryan Jensen
RT: Jared VeldHeer

Reserves:

RB2: LeSean McCoy
RB3: Ameer Abdullah
FB:  Kyle Juzsczyk 
WR4: Seth Roberts
WR5: Roger Lewis
TE2: Darren Fells
OL6: Spencer Pulley
OL7: Donovan Smith

Portland's Defense:

RDE: T.J Watt
3T:  Kawann Short
DT:  Timmy Jernigan
LDE: Emmanual Ogbah
WLB: Telvin Smith
MLB: Blake Martinez
CB1: Jimmy Smith
CB2: Johnathan Joseph
SCB: Bashaud Breeland - (Q)

FS: Glover Quin
SS: Malcolm Jenkins

Reserves:

SLB: Bruce Irvin
RLB: Zach Brown
CB4: Sean Smith
CB5: Tramaine Brock
S3:  Daniel Sorenson
DE3: Robert Quinn
DT3: Michael Pierce
DT4: DaQuan Jones

QB - Carson Wentz

RB - Doug Martin

WR - Demaryius Thomas

WR - Jarvis Landry

TE - Vernon Davis

TE - Luke Wilson

LT - Jake Matthews

LG - AJ Cann

C - Maurkice Pouncey

RG - Shaq Mason

RT - Mitchell Schwartz

RB - Derrick Henry

RB - Jacquizz Rodgers

WR - Breshad Perriman

WR - Amara Darboh

QB - Matthew Stafford

OL - Andrus Peat

EDGE - Leonard Floyd

INT - Bennie Logan

INT Muhammad Wilkerson

EDGE - Ziggy Ansah

MLB - Bernardrick McKinney

WLB - Reuben Foster

CB - Xavier Rhodes

CB - Josh Norman

CB - Jourdan Lewis

S-  Kam Chancellor

S - Justin SImmons

CB - Demarious Randall

CB- Rasul Douglas

S - Eric Reid

LB - Zach Cunningham

LB - Antonio Morrison

INT - Austin Johnson

INT - Vernon Butler

EDGE - Charles Harris

EDGE - Marcus Smith

Portland Offensive Gameplan: Run the Ball, Take Advantage of matchups, 3 WR 1 RB 1 TE.

The Passing Game: This week we take on the Gotham Gashslayers led by one of the best defenses/CB duos in BDL. Sammy Watkins will be our no.1 WR and we'll move him to the slot for most of the game since I doubt Gotham will have their CBs follow him there and he should get some decent matchups that way. Davante Adams has played really well the past 2 seasons and is going to have a tough matchup on the outside against Rhodes/Norman so we'll try and get the ball in his hands using screens, quick slants and comeback routes. Jermaine Kearse will be our no.3 WR and he won't see that many targets unless he can get open. Austin Hooper has been a solid TE in the passing game this year and I'd expect he'd have a 5-50-1 statline like he's had for most of the year, Fells will be used on 2 TE sets on the rare occasion we use them. While Gotham possess an elite duo at CB they don't have a lot of depth at the position and we'll take advantage of that by going 4 wide a decent amount of the time. Gotham also possess a weak safety duo we should be able to take some deep shots against, we'll commit to running the ball and using our RBs heavily in the passing game as per usual. Derek Carr should be able to pick apart Gotham's secondary and we'll be getting rid of the ball quicker to counter their pass rush and take advantage of our WRs and RBs YAC abilities. We'll also leave someone into block on a decent amount of the plays to help out my o-line.

The Running Game: We're going to feature Jordan Howard this week as our 3 down workhorse and he'll get 60% of the RB snaps with Lesean Chipping in at 35% and playing on 3rd downs/obvious passing downs. We're going to commit to running the ball and establish the running game to control the clock and keep Stafford/Wentz off the field. Kyle Juzcyck will be our swiss army knife FB and we'll use him a decent amount to help in the run game/pass protection, Gotham possess a very good d-line but Ansah and Logan aren't exactly playing up to their potential this year. We'll maintain a 55/45 ratio to keep it balanced and to make sure Gotham doesn't focus too much on one area of our offense.

The Blocking: After trading away Castanzo we're going to start Veldheer at RT and while has not played very well this season he's still capable of rebounding and should step it up at some point this year, The rest of my o-line should be able to keep Carr protected and open decent holes for my RBs.

TDLR; Control TOP, Dominate in the trenches, Run the ball, Get YAC.

Portland Defensive Gameplan: Shut down Thomas, Shut Down Martin, Control the LOS, stop the run.

Pass Defense: Jimmy Smith will cover Demaryius Thomas for most of the game and he'll be given some help over the top on a decent amount of the plays forcing Wentz to look elsewhere, Johnthan Joeseph will be our no.2 CB and is a godsend because oh god the CBs behind him are awful, Jason McCourty if he suits up will man the slot. The worst part about Gotham's offense is the fact they don't have a functional 3rd WR and their TEs are IRL Backups so they don't possess many matchup issues outside of their RBs and top 2 WRs and Jimmy Smith is capable of shutting down Thomas for most of the game while Joeseph/McCourty should be able to limit Landry. Carson Wentz is playing at an MVP level (or so we've been told) so he'll be tough to stop but he doesn't really have a strong running game or a decent supporting cast outside of his top 2 WRs to help him out. Glover QUinn is playing like the best Safety in football this year and Malcolm Jenkins is his usual Pro Bowl self this year and they should be able to keep my secondary from giving up big plays to Wentz. Their RBs aren't really a threat in the passing game but since Gotham has so few weapons on offense we'll keep an eye on that and make adjustments if they make that a focal point of their offense. Telvin Smith will be the singal caller for our defense and we'll rotate our LBs a bit to keep them all fresh, We'll also use Bruce Irvin as a pass rushing chess piece to get matchups against Wentz. We'll play a variety of coverages and use some 3 safety looks as well to confuse the young QB but we'll mostly be playing Cover 3 zone.

Run Defense: Our main goal is going to be shutting down the running game forcing Wentz to throw it to beat us, My D-line should be able to overmatch their o-line which is missing stud G/C Matt Slauson and is replacing him with Andrus Peat I'm assuming. Robert QUinn heads to the bench this week because he's been god awful this year and T.J Watt will replace him in the lineup, Quinn will rotate a decent amount with them to keep them fresh though. Kawann Short is the best player on my defense and should be able to collapse the pocket and help shut down the run, Jernigan should also help in that regard along with Pierce who will rotate in with them to keep them fresh and will play on running downs etc. We'll play goaline defense as needed along with making adjustments based on what they try to do with the running game. Gotham's backfield is nothing special but Martin is a solid all around RB when he's motivated and Henry is the obvious no.2 RB in the titans backfield IRL we shouldn't have any issues shutting them down in the run game and keeping my LBs clean so they can make plays.

The Pass Rush: Long running rant about how good my pass rush is and how we'll get tons of pressure on Wentz to help out my secondary and how my players are better than his when they're kinda not really but some are so whatever I guess? Go team? Hoot Hoot?

TDLR; Stop the run, Shut down the pass, control the LOS, Hit Wentz.

OFFENSE - 2 WR/2 TE/RB

We face a Portland team that is diminished in the secondary and will have Wentz attacking that weakness.  We are coming out of the gate through the air and will test Portland’s secondary early, seeing if we can demoralize their defense with early quick strike scores and have them overcommit to the pass.   

If we see this, we will change gears and feed Martin and Henry the ball.  The object here is to keep the Owls guessing and off balance.  We will mix in play action, delayed handoffs and screens to keep their front 7 honest from overplaying their assignments.

With Portland expected to give help on the boundaries, we will take advantage of this and hit Vernon Davis down the seam on zone looks, giving Portland’s D another weapon to account for.

DEFENSE - 43 Nickel

Derek Carr doesn’t look terribly comfortable in the pocket post back injury and we intend to make him most uncomfortable in this game.  Initially we focus on stopping Shady from establishing the run game and will have McKinney and Foster focused on him early, with rotating SPY duties to prevent him from breaking big plays in short pass routes and timed run blitzes to disrupt him in the backfield.

As far as the downfield pass game, I think we have it on lock with our trio of CBs on Portlands receivers.  Norman and Rhodes will play sides with Lewis in the slot.  Justin Simmons is going to play headhunter centerfield, while Kam plays up in the box in his familiar read/react role, adding another big hitter to punish Shady and eliminate the threat of Hooper.

On 2TE sets, Reid replaces Lewis; on 4 WR sets, Randall comes in for Foster; if Portland decides to go 2RB, Cunningham comes in for Lewis with coverage assignment for any motioned/split out RB.

So Portland is running a cover 3 zone with Jimmy Smith in man coverage on DT with help over the top? Seems like XMad just randomly associated defense concepts in the middle of random assertions of his or Gotham players. 

As for the game itself, I think it's a low scoring game with Portand defense keeping Gotham underwhelming weapons in check and Gotham putting a lot of pressure on Carr and with a solid corner trio. I don't like having Watkins in the slot tbh, I think he's a better player outside. In the end, I think Gotham D forces a turnover or two more than Portland and it makes the difference. 19-13 Gotham

9 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

So Portland is running a cover 3 zone with Jimmy Smith in man coverage on DT with help over the top? Seems like XMad just randomly associated defense concepts in the middle of random assertions of his or Gotham players. 

As for the game itself, I think it's a low scoring game with Portand defense keeping Gotham underwhelming weapons in check and Gotham putting a lot of pressure on Carr and with a solid corner trio. I don't like having Watkins in the slot tbh, I think he's a better player outside. In the end, I think Gotham D forces a turnover or two more than Portland and it makes the difference. 19-13 Gotham

We're not gonna play cover 3 on every snap.... But fair enough I'll be clearer next time.

Portland's o-line is a mess right now and while their defense should be able to limit Gotham's limited weapons and control the LOS I trust Stafford more to pull out a close game than Carr right now though. Meh I'll give it to portland on the fact neither team is going to move the ball all that much but Portland should be able to Get some production out of their RBs.

43 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Portland's o-line is a mess right now and while their defense should be able to limit Gotham's limited weapons and control the LOS I trust Stafford more to pull out a close game than Carr right now though. Meh I'll give it to portland on the fact neither team is going to move the ball all that much but Portland should be able to Get some production out of their RBs.

Stafford has been on the bench for 2 weeks.

8 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

7 hours ago, pheltzbahr said:

Stafford has been on the bench for 2 weeks.

Well, if there was ever a time to question whether Dingo actually reads anything I think this is a good one. Since most of his votes are justified with "picked this team because offense". 

Dingo how do you miss the first person listed in Pheltz lineup if you actually looked at it?

6 hours ago, Jlash said:

Well, if there was ever a time to question whether Dingo actually reads anything I think this is a good one. Since most of his votes are justified with "picked this team because offense". 

Dingo how do you miss the first person listed in Pheltz lineup if you actually looked at it?

I mixed up stafford and wentz in my brain typos happen ilash. I still read the gameplans and wentz with the better team IMO. 

If you want me to give a full breakdown of why I think Portland would win I'm more than happy to do it out of boredom. 

2 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

I mixed up stafford and wentz in my brain typos happen ilash. I still read the gameplans and wentz with the better team IMO. 

If you want me to give a full breakdown of why I think Portland would win I'm more than happy to do it out of boredom. 

I just wonder why you rush your vote and then leave things like "comment because I have to".  By the time you vote, you still have more than a full day to actually do so, yet it seems like you try to blast them all out in a small window and then get gradually more annoyed with the process as you do it.

Archived