Who’s Linked To O'Connell: Filling Out The Staff

gopherwrestler

9 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

I don't think they'll just cut hunter. They can easily convert the roster bonus to a signing bonus and his cap hit is way more manageable. If Hunter doesn't want to be here, they will trade him. To just outright cut him would be criminal roster management. 

I love Nakobe Dean. The way they KO talked about Kendricks, I don't think hes going anywhere. With that said, you don't really need to spend high level picks or top tier money on two inside LBs in a 3-4 scheme. You can pretty much grab that 2nd ILB off the scrap heap and be fine. If Kendricks is gone, then yes, I think Dean is a possibility. If Kendricks is still here by the draft, then Dean is probably not on the radar.

I would be content with a pass rusher at 12. Jermaine Johnson is a beast. I think he would be fine in a 4-3 scheme or a multiple front scheme. His goal is to get to the QB anyways. 

I guess I miss spoke, I do not mean cut I basically mean get rid of and yeah that would be a trade.  

Hasn't Kendricks spoke about not wanting to play in a 3/4 defense?  Maybe I am wrong about that but I cannot imagine Kendricks, Hunter or Harrison Smith are all that happy at the moment especially with the scheme change.  The one that could do great in the scheme Barr is most likely not on the team but would be interesting if he was resigned but not sure they have the money even for that.  Hunter obviously loved Patterson so cannot imagine he is super happy with him being let go when he wanted to return but yeah he could maybe do well in the scheme but does he want to even be here?  

Dean I think could be a great pick, fits the scheme and is dynamic in the scheme especially if he shows off 4.4 or 4.5 speed which I think he has possibly.  Also is a super smart kid and has a good upside, is a bit high for him but not sure there is a pass rusher there outside of Jermaine Johnson and again even him not sure he is a fit and not sure he will work out that great to merit such a high pick, same with George.  Is Jermaine Johnson going to run a 4.57 40 and bench 225 25 times?  I doubt it and Danielle Hunter did that and he was not as good of an athlete compared to what he is now in the NFL.  

It will be a hard selection if Gardner and Stingley are gone.  But yeah Jermaine makes sense if he shows he is that type of an athlete, I think it would be a waste of his skills though in a way but will see.  

14 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

why do we have to imagine anything? why not wait and see what they actually say?

Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter and Anthony Barr all played their entire career under Mike Zimmer and more importantly with Andre Patterson who could have still been here.  Harrison Smith played a majority of his career under those guys also, sure maybe it is an assumption they liked playing under them but the fact all signed extensions is a little bit of a given they liked it and wanted to stay a Viking and with those coaches.  

Not to mention a switch from a 4/3 to a 3/4 is a big switch but sure all could make it arguably but again do they want to at this point in their career?  

I know for certain, they would be far more happy and on board if Andre Patterson was still around regardless of a switch to a 3/4 which, and for the millionth time Patterson is coaching under a 3/4 with the Giants next year as the DL coach only.  

Hunter and Kendricks were Pro bowl level players in a 4/3, so yeah switching could greatly impact their level of play.  Will see what happens but O'Connell's rational for playing a 3/4 is kind of a cop out in philosophy, his reasoning is that it is hard to prepare against, well yeah when you have Aaron Donald, Floyd, Von Miller and Ramsey at one corner yeah it is hard to prepare against.  No one had problems going up against the Jets, Lions, Chargers, Falcons and Jaguars 3/4 defenses.  Yeah because they did not have the pieces in place to make it succeed and all were the bottom in the league in points allowed per game.  

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter and Anthony Barr all played their entire career under Mike Zimmer and more importantly with Andre Patterson who could have still been here.  Harrison Smith played a majority of his career under those guys also, sure maybe it is an assumption they liked playing under them but the fact all signed extensions is a little bit of a given they liked it and wanted to stay a Viking and with those coaches.  

Not to mention a switch from a 4/3 to a 3/4 is a big switch but sure all could make it arguably but again do they want to at this point in their career?  

I know for certain, they would be far more happy and on board if Andre Patterson was still around regardless of a switch to a 3/4 which, and for the millionth time Patterson is coaching under a 3/4 with the Giants next year as the DL coach only.  

Hunter and Kendricks were Pro bowl level players in a 4/3, so yeah switching could greatly impact their level of play.  Will see what happens but O'Connell's rational for playing a 3/4 is kind of a cop out in philosophy, his reasoning is that it is hard to prepare against, well yeah when you have Aaron Donald, Floyd, Von Miller and Ramsey at one corner yeah it is hard to prepare against.  No one had problems going up against the Jets, Lions, Chargers, Falcons and Jaguars 3/4 defenses.  Yeah because they did not have the pieces in place to make it succeed and all were the bottom in the league in points allowed per game.  

Does it matter though, who cares what Hunter, Kendricks and Smith are feeling in regards to a scheme change. If the defense was half way decent we’d be in the playoffs and Zimmer probably still has a job. I don’t get too hung up on players anymore, especially if they were on the side of the ball that was the problem. If they don’t buy in to the scheme change, trade them and find someone who wants to play. I consider these players highly professional though so I doubt there’s much thought to the new coaching staff. 

And I’m still struggling with all the Patterson love. It’s time to move on. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Does it matter though, who cares what Hunter, Kendricks and Smith are feeling in regards to a scheme change. If the defense was half way decent we’d be in the playoffs and Zimmer probably still has a job. I don’t get too hung up on players anymore, especially if they were on the side of the ball that was the problem. If they don’t buy in to the scheme change, trade them and find someone who wants to play. I consider these players highly professional though so I doubt there’s much thought to the new coaching staff. 

And I’m still struggling with all the Patterson love. It’s time to move on. 

Sure most fans around here just think any change of any kind is instant improvement but in reality it is not.  Sure maybe this staff will be absolutely great but players win games and if you annoy the best players on the team and insult them by changing everything around them, well not sure that is the best way to get results.  

Andre Patterson deserves "love" as a coach because he is outstanding and far more accomplished than Chris Rumph.  Go take a poll of who is more respected as a DL coach, one could argue Patterson is one of the most respect at that position in the entire NFL.  But no he sucks because he was with Mike Zimmer?  Ok go with that and assume any change is instant improvement.  

Sure, if they get rid of Hunter, Kendricks and Smith and the defense is wildly improved, that will be impressive if that indeed happens.  Then again fact is Kendricks missed time, Hunter missed tons of time and Barr missed time and so did Peterson and others so that had a lot to do with the defensive results as well.  Donatell is supposed to be a DB guy and that is what needs to improve so will see just how good he is with that.  Daronte Jones being brought back is just a desperation move, I guess they liked the guy the one year they had him but most likely no one else was available, and he was not exactly amazing last year on LSU as the DC.  Not sure the connection there, he never worked Donatell or Pettine as far as I know.  They wiffed on Deshea Townsend and missing him and that was after missing on Desai, then again the Jaguars and Seahawks gave both more responsibility than just being a DB coach or even DC for that matter.  

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Like any true competitors, I’d expect any player on the Vikings roster to welcome the challenge of a new scheme. 

Sure sounds nice but the Broncos last year in that 3/4 had 6 potential starting ILBs if not 8 at times, not sure the Vikings have but one at this moment.  

Alexander Johnson / Kenny Young / Baron Browning
Josey Jewell / Micah Kiser / Justin Strnad / Jonas Griffith

Granted Young was brought over after Johnson got hurt I think in a trade and Jewell was out a bit as well but still that is a loaded ILB group so the Vikings will need a total overhaul of that front 7, sure a few players fit a lot do not.  And they will need to stock pile OLBs as well on both sides and go three deep at each position as well if not more than that.  

They could use a thumper ILB like Quay Walker but there is only one of him in the draft, Nate Landman might be interesting as well if he can come back from that injury as a later round pick.   And they could maybe steal a 3/4 OLB who could play ILB in Andre Anthony or Darrian Beavers.  Or get a later round guy who can get after the QB in James Houston or Tomon Fox, Cameron Goode or Jeffrey Gunter.  Christopher Allen is another potential 3/4 OLB who was hurt all year but was poised to be possibly a 1st or 2nd round pick before the injury.  

Still I say it is a cop out to call a 3/4 system his philosophy when he has never been a head coach yet.  Transitions are fine but the entire NFC north plays in a 3/4, it is clearly not that hard to prepare for since everyone does it.  Granted being multiple is important but that all depends on the coordinator doesn't it and the personnel, much less do you corners suck or not.  

11 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I’ve got it, Ozzy is AC Patterson. 

TitleVideo_V6-1.gif

This is every move the Vikings organization ever makes to most around here.  Cannot do anything wrong and everything done is exactly right.  Just like Bisi Johnson is a great wide receiver and was an amazing late round draft pick.  

24 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

TitleVideo_V6-1.gif

This is every move the Vikings organization ever makes to most around here.  Cannot do anything wrong and everything done is exactly right.  Just like Bisi Johnson is a great wide receiver and was an amazing late round draft pick.  

Just a joke, Ozzy. I appreciate your passion towards the decision making of the team. I think just by the nature of being on a forum, people here are naturally skeptical of the decisions the team makes. Some are willing to wait and see, while others, like yourself, are more immediately outspoken.

I would have loved to have kept Patterson; I also don’t begrudge KOC for bringing in his own people that he believes are capable of teaching the game the way he wants it taught and be part of establishing the culture he wants. I, personally, think Patterson could have fit into that, and I’ll miss him on the team.

I’m just not the type to poo-poo a move when we have no idea of the context of Patterson’s departure. Would he have stayed as just a DL coach here, or would he only have stayed as a DC and his son staying? Did he want to move on and see what else is out there? We just don’t know. 

• Like 4