Is Blake playing his way into an extension?

pwny

The last two weeks without Leonard Fournette, the Hackett has opened up the playbook for Blake Bortles and Blake has seemingly responded. Gone is the play calling that seemed to have neuter what Blake could do with the offense, in is an offense that allows Blake to take shots down the field and make plays.

No longer needing to carry the team to wins, Blake has played these last two games without the largely characteristic “oh no” plays that have largely come with his big play shots.

Over the last two games, Blake has posted the below stat lines 

18/26 for 330, 1TD

24/38 for 259, 1TD

In these two games, Blake has completed 65.6% of his passes, averaged 9.2 yards per attempt, and a 105.5 passer rating.

Is this simply a reflection of a small sample size and some good luck? Or have the Jaguars finally found the right play calling mix to match with Blake’s strengths, and the right supporting staff around him to allow him to excel?

8 minutes ago, VLoo said:

At this point though... 2 year extension around 15/per? If we can't find a guy, then at least he appears to be serviceable now.

This may be a good idea.

Act as if he's Alex Smith and maybe draft a guy (pending on how this season ends) and have someone ready to take over when they're ready? If Blake balls out and looks like these last couple weeks fairly consistently, than keep him and trade the other guy later on.

If Jacksonville does that to this defense you've built, everyone in the front office needs to be fired. Bortles has proven exactly what he is these past 3 and a half years: an inconsistent mess.

You're going to have a chance to go get a competent QB in a guy like Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins and the idea is to extend Bortles?

That's exactly how you stay irrelevant in the NFL. That defense you built deserves better and you as fans deserve better.

I can tell you one thing, the rest of the AFC South(and AFC in general) is going to be absolutely ecstatic if you do decide to hold on to him.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

If Jacksonville does that to this defense you've built, everyone in the front office needs to be fired. Bortles has proven exactly what he is these past 3 and a half years: an inconsistent mess.

You're going to have a chance to go get a competent QB in a guy like Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins and the idea is to extend Bortles?

That's exactly how you stay irrelevant in the NFL. That defense you built deserves better and you as fans deserve better.

I can tell you one thing, the rest of the AFC South(and AFC in general) is going to be absolutely ecstatic if you do decide to hold on to him.

If we do do that, hopefully they'll be as ecstatic as Burfict after Blake is done with them.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

This may be a good idea.

Act as if he's Alex Smith and maybe draft a guy (pending on how this season ends) and have someone ready to take over when they're ready? If Blake balls out and looks like these last couple weeks fairly consistently, than keep him and trade the other guy later on.

Lol wasn't it frowned upon when i said blake and alex smith were both equally bad and then he got Harboughed into a good game manager. 

Just now, LinderFournette said:

Lol wasn't it frowned upon when i said blake and alex smith were both equally bad and then he got Harboughed into a good game manager. 

No, because Blake and Alex Smith are NOTHING alike.

I'm not even comparing Blake to Alex Smith, read the damn post. I'm saying sign him to a short term extension (Alex Smith is signed for just a couple more years), and draft a guy in waiting depending on play.

You are reaching, bud.

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

No more estatic then us when you guys signed cyprien

Just now, TitanLegend said:

Mediocre strong safety who plays 90% of his snaps in the box =/= awful starting QB.

I have run out of likes, but I wanted to let you know that I've liked both of your post. This one in particular being spot on. 

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

No one is giving him an extension right now.

If he continues playing this way the rest of the year, yes, you most definitely look into it/think about it. He has looked quite a bit better since Marrone/Hackett came in last year. He still hasn't been good on a consistent basis, but these past couple games have been eye opening and he looks much more comfortable. As I said, I doubt if we did extend him it'd be any more than a 2-3 year deal unless we make the playoffs and go very deep. 

Cousins is going to be highly coveted, I'd like to say we have a good shot but who knows. He hasn't exactly lit the world on fire this year either. Alex Smith will still be under contract and could cost a bit. Who knows for sure if they are totally ready for Mahomes either?

If Bortles continues doing this and wins us the division/we go deep in the playoffs, why would you just let him walk unless you are 100% you have a guy that's so much better?