Amazon’s LOTR Rings of Power

Xenos

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

GoT nailed the aesthetic IMO. LotR nailed it. I guess its hard to get high fantasy right in a live action medium though because outside of them they are either under budgeted (Merlin) and hammy or over-budgeted and too clean (Wheel of TIme). 

I thought The Witcher for the most part nailed it too.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 3

Aesthetically I think it's fine, but I agree the LotR trilogy nailed the look better likely because they had a lot more practical effects which get the dirt and grime through so so much better. Didn't really tell us anything about the story, though I assume it's going to be borrowing heavily from the Silmarillion.

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Aesthetically I think it's fine, but I agree the LotR trilogy nailed the look better likely because they had a lot more practical effects which get the dirt and grime through so so much better. Didn't really tell us anything about the story, though I assume it's going to be borrowing heavily from the Silmarillion.

Is the Silmarillion primarily during the 2nd Age? 

Edit: actually just found out that they don’t actually have the rights to The Silmarillion. It’s The Hobbit, LOTR, and the appendices.

Edited by Xenos

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

A lot of it was also dark and dirty so easier to do. Wheel of time was a lot of bright colors and just didn’t look good

I don’t mind the bright colors especially for the art design in the WOT. But the lighting could definitely be better.

Edited by Xenos

8 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I should probably add that because this is supposed to take place during the golden age of LOTR, I don’t mind if it was more clean looking. At least initially. My hope is that they’ll do what Del Toro wanted to do with The Hobbit initially, and make it dirtier and darker as it gets closer to the creation of the rings.

Del Toro said that he interpreted The Hobbit as being set in a "world that is slightly more golden at the beginning, a very innocent environment", and that the film would need to "[take] you from a time of more purity to a darker reality throughout the film, but [in a manner] in the spirit of the book".

Edited by Xenos

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

What is your issue with bright colors? That's much more realistic than drab colors. I keep reading this, and I don't get it.

With the lighting they had it made some of the sets looks cheap. Check the WOT thread and reviews of the show and people have said the same thing.

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

dwarf women don't have beards, they often wear them in public to hide that they are women......that's according to Tolkien.

I have never heard that Tolkien stated that directly.  Seems like if he did, this wouldn't be a controversy.  What's your source?

On 2/15/2022 at 1:35 PM, Daniel said:

Meh.  Trailer made me actually concerned it'll be a big ole CGI fest.

And no beards on the dwarf women?!?  Blasphemy!

I actually not as worried about it being a CGI fest. With a show like this, it’s the story and characters that I’m worried about most. It feels like that’s what really hurt the WOT, especially the finale. The hope is that this show gets a chance to really breathe and also build up all its characters. 

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I actually not as worried about it being a CGI fest. With a show like this, it’s the story and characters that I’m worried about most. It feels like that’s what really hurt the WOT, especially the finale. The hope is that this show gets a chance to really breathe and also build up all its characters. 

I think there's a strong correlation between things that turn into CGI fests neglecting story and character development.

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think there's a strong correlation between things that turn into CGI fests neglecting story and character development.

Maybe? I think we notice the bad qualities more when the characters are bad. I remember reading how the Star Wars prequel had even more practical effects than LOTR but that didn’t matter in the end.