Amazon’s LOTR Rings of Power

Xenos

20 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Are people acknowledging this looks like the most expensive failure in streaming history and that it looks cringeworthy or are they still in the, “Lol it was one preview trailer,” stage?

Because that looked like the most terrible thing I’ve seen.

Amazon still hasn’t perfected lighting by the way.

Maybe it’ll be a failure. Maybe it won’t be. It could also be pretty perfectly average and still recoup everything. 

And honestly, I don’t know why it’s considered an Amazon thing. It’s not like the MCU doesn’t have it’s own lighting and color problems. I think Guardians Vol. 2 under Gunn was the sole exception for awhile.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Maybe it’ll be a failure. Maybe it won’t be. It could also be pretty perfectly average and still recoup everything. 

And honestly, I don’t know why it’s considered an Amazon thing. It’s not like the MCU doesn’t have it’s own lighting and color problems. I think Guardians Vol. 2 under Gunn was the sole exception for awhile.

The MCU is not the same.

It has, for the most part, modern day set pieces.

If your lighting is off in fantasy or horror, you’re gonna have a monster that looks like a puppet or sets that look like cardboard painted emerald.

Nothing in Game of Thrones ever looked like painted cardboard. Ever. All of the sets looked photorealistic and held up to scrutiny because they understood cinematography and lighting.

Amazon does not. So, you get what looks like cosplayers having a fun time on a high school production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

FFS why'd I need you to tell me what was bothering me about it?

Luckily things like the lighting can still be fixed. Looking at the other Amazon fantasy series, WOT, I thought they did a bette job of improving the lighting after the pilot. Well at least until the finale.

Edited by Xenos

I'm not giving up hope yet, and I remember early adds for LotR looking choppy back in the day, but you're right that Amazon doesn't exactly have the best track record with fantasy looking good on screen. You could argue that the closest they have come is The Boys, but even that is kind of purposefully supposed to look "off".

On 2/21/2022 at 8:30 PM, THE DUKE said:

I'm not giving up hope yet, and I remember early adds for LotR looking choppy back in the day, but you're right that Amazon doesn't exactly have the best track record with fantasy looking good on screen. You could argue that the closest they have come is The Boys, but even that is kind of purposefully supposed to look "off".

I guess I’m surprised that it’s considered an Amazon issue and not whoever is the DP for the show. 

On 2/18/2022 at 8:45 AM, Daniel said:

Mad Max was awesome.

I mean, at the end of the day, you're right, what matters, mostly, is the quality of the writing, directing, and acting.  If that's good, it can be all CGI and be fine.

But when I see what looks like gratuitous CGI, I assume that's where they put all of their effort, instead of in the other stuff.  If there are obsessive practical effects, I feel like it comes from a desire to make everything look and feel more real, which probably correlates to better story treatment.  That's why I said a correlation.

At the end of the day, I agree with your original point and we're just arguing semantics, more or less.

Here’s what they said about the CGI in this show. We’ll see if the final product comes out better.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/02/10-burning-questions-about-amazons-the-rings-of-power/amp

How Much CGI Should Audiences Expect?

As fans will have already seen in the Super Bowl teaser, there are plenty of innovative digital effects in The Rings of Power. But there’s been a recent movement, led by Lucasfilm and Star Wars, in both genre filmmaking and its fandom away from an overreliance on digital effects. (That perceived overreliance was something some fans disliked in Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy.) McKay and Payne had a keen interest in practical effects and real-world locations, which didn’t always align with their (admittedly enormous) budget.

“An example would be Khazad-dûm,” Payne says. The duo wanted to shoot the dwarven mining city under an actual mountain in New Zealand. “There’s this place called the Lost World…that has this whole ecosystem and is absolutely crazy,” Payne says. The practicalities of trying to spelunk their cast and 300 crew members soon put that idea to rest. Instead, they built a lavish version on a soundstage.

But in dreaming up wild, fantastical monsters and ambitious real-world locations, McKay and Payne learned that the trickiest challenges of making a Middle-earth show lay elsewhere. Payne recalls their visual effects coordinator saying, “Do you want to know what the single most complicated scene that you’ve written in season one is? It’s a scene in which the elf and the dwarf walk down a hallway together.” 

McKays says, “You have to shoot everything twice. It ends up being like an SAT problem where a hobbit and a dwarf and a man and an elf each leave a train station traveling at X miles per hour. Who is going to get to Mount Doom first? So it will be down to the millimeter, mimicking the exact same moves, and then the two things get spliced together and create this effect of one person being taller and smaller. We have a group of actual wizards that work on the show and they came up with a huge bag of tricks in which we are constantly able to keep the audience guessing.” Payne promises they will be using “every single trick in the book—old school, new school, everything—in a way that we are told no one has attempted.” Some of the stranger monsters may be digital confections, but when orc-like baddies attack The Rings of Power heroes, it’s guys in suits, not piles of pixels.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 12:22 PM, PrplChilPill said:

dwarf women don't have beards, they often wear them in public to hide that they are women......that's according to Tolkien.

What the hell are you talking about?

There's two instances in actually published books that says dwarf women and children have beards, two references in the Tolkien society sanctioned movies

vs.

one letter to a fan when he was very old, asking for more details about character descriptions in which he said, "All male dwarves have beards" without saying anything about dwarven women not having beards.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 11:58 PM, adamq said:

A lot of people despised the Hobbit films in part because of the CGI, and I'd say that book is more loved than the LOTR series of books.

& the CGI in the LOTR movies was just for large scale monsters and the huge battle scenes.. everything else you see was done by hand and it shows

This isn't really true, even Peter Jackson got a little CGI heavy for RTK when he realized how much it could do. The "you bow to no one" scene is an example of CGI gone a bit wrong in LOTR. 

But for the most part, especially in the beginning, you're correct it was extremely practical. 

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This isn't really true, even Peter Jackson got a little CGI heavy for RTK when he realized how much it could do. The "you bow to no one" scene is an example of CGI gone a bit wrong in LOTR. 

But for the most part, especially in the beginning, you're correct it was extremely practical. 

Oh there are definitely some horrible shots, especially with Legolas.. 🤣

On 2/20/2022 at 10:29 PM, Xenos said:

Luckily things like the lighting can still be fixed. Looking at the other Amazon fantasy series, WOT, I thought they did a bette job of improving the lighting after the pilot. Well at least until the finale.

Did you watch a single scene in The White Tower? 

On 2/19/2022 at 11:23 PM, Outpost31 said:

Are people acknowledging this looks like the most expensive failure in streaming history and that it looks cringeworthy or are they still in the, “Lol it was one preview trailer,” stage?

Because that looked like the most terrible thing I’ve seen.

Amazon still hasn’t perfected lighting by the way.

Amazon hasn't even reached proficiency with lighting yet. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What the hell are you talking about?

There's two instances in actually published books that says dwarf women and children have beards, two references in the Tolkien society sanctioned movies

vs.

one letter to a fan when he was very old, asking for more details about character descriptions in which he said, "All male dwarves have beards" without saying anything about dwarven women not having beards.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Dwarf-women#:~:text=In The War of the,all male Dwarves had them.

I mean, but everyone agrees with you. But I'm glad you are angry about it....

What difference does it make, really? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Dwarf-women#:~:text=In The War of the,all male Dwarves had them.

I mean, but everyone agrees with you. But I'm glad you are angry about it....

What difference does it make, really? 

You understand your link agrees with my characterization entirely?

The Tolkien Gateway uses "The Nature of Middle-Earth" as it's source, but you'll notice it won't give a page or passage number because it doesn't say "Women Dwarves have Beards". The essay/letter written was giving more description of certain characters.

The phrase was like, "X Numorean King had a beard, Y Gondorian Knight had a mustache, "All the Male Dwarves have Beards obviously", Z Elven Prince did not have a Beard"

The Nature of Middle-Earth was a series of essays and letters from Tolkien put together by Carl Hostetter. It isn't even considered to be one of the official Histories of Middle Earth and was only published last year.

But you know what is official?

War of the Jewels

no Man nor Elf has ever seen a beardless Dwarf - unless he were shaven in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame... For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike...

and 

Appendix A:

They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Having looked at some of the complaints about this show, I would honestly say that elves with short hair and beardless female dwarfs are probably the very bottom of my concerns. If they’re good, very few will care.

Nobody finds it problematic in and of itself. The problem is that it's symptomatic of a lack of attention to detail and disrespect for the lore.

Considering what Amazon did to the WoT universe, there's a of legitimate concern that there's a lot of smoke indicating that.