Not Just the X's and O's, But the Culture of the KOC Offense

vike daddy

Q1: 4.6 average (55 total points - scoreless 3x)
Q2: 8.1 average (97 total points - scoreless 2x)
Q3: 2.8 average (34 total points - scoreless 7x)
Q4: 8.3 average (100 total points - scoreless 2x)

Overall: 24.1 average (289 total points - 11th in NFL)

Nothing we didn't already know but our 3rd quarter offense needs to improve drastically. Here is where the Vikings rank in time of possession by quarter.

Q1: 18th
Q2: 10th
Q3: 31st
Q4: 14th

Overall: 25th

It would take me longer to look up but I'd be curious to see how many of our 3-and-outs come in the 3rd quarter. Against the Jets 4 of 13 possessions ended in a 3-and-out (30.8%). 3 of those 4 came in the 3rd quarter.

• Like 1

Even though Cook hasn’t been great by any measure, teams around the league still seem to respect his ability to break open. 

As for next year, I think a few people, even fan favorites are going to be gone. This offense with Kirko Chainz is great. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm probably in the minority but I'd be OK rolling with Chandler, Nwangwu, and a cheap veteran into next year. 

If his cap number comes down, I'm more than willing to bring Dalvin back because he's still going to be better than those 2.  I'm not trusting Chandler in the primary role (as I'd have to think that Nwangwu would still be a change-of-pace back).  I liked what he did in the preseason, but again, that was preseason.  

In VikeManDan's scenario, I would count on the cheap veteran to be in the primary role until Chandler or Nwangwu showed to be a better option.  It would be great if that cheap veteran was Dalvin Cook, but he likely declines that cut to his pay.  Then I cut him and replace him with a player that is happy to be a cheap veteran.  Something like teams have recently done with Latavius Murray and Mark Ingram.  Those two are too old now, but I would be looking for the next guy happy to fill such a role. 

There is no way Cook is worth his current contract IMO, but the team does need someone in addition to the two young RBs.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

One thing potentially in the Vikings’ favor with asking Cook to take a pay cut, or ultimately cutting him is that this upcoming free agent class of running backs is fairly stacked.

Agreed.  Barkley and Jacobs at the top of the list with Miles Sanders and Tony Pollard not far behind, along with several others.  Dalvin will be 28 next season, and while not old, is old by starting RB standards...Dalvin is not Adrian (who still had nearly a 1500 yd season at 30).

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

what's the dead cap his if Cook is cooked this year and let go? If he is kept, what's his salary for 2023?

His dead cap next year would only be $6M, while his cap hit is $14M.  Which means he really doesn't have a lot of leverage.  

• Like 2