Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

27 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

TO be honest I don’t think Tampa was that much of an attractive job. It would have been tough to poach Patricia or McDaniels from New England. 

I don't really think that matters. If a coordinator gets a chance to make A LOT more money and become a head coach, he's gonna take it. 

And it's not like we're cap-strapped, void of talent, and without a QB. We're not a couple pieces away from a Super Bowl run, but we're not far from the playoffs.

And who doesn't want to move to Florida?

I do think Koetter still has a chance to stick long term, BUT he needs a GM strong enough to save Koetter from himself.  If Licht has control over the 53 man roster, there was plenty of opportunities to cut guys this year.  

Koetter s offense has moved the ball all 3 years.  I really believe red zone will improve as running the ball improves.  This is where Licht can help Koetter by setting the depth chart for him this offseason.  Im hoping they understand status quo will mean the end of their employment.  

For all of Winson s fault, I count 5 games where they were tied or leading in the last 5 minutes.  His development could mask a lot of team and coaching deficiencies.  I look no further then the Packers and Mike McCarthy.   That team looks pretty ordinary in a lot of areas without Rodgers.  Hopefully Winston can get near that level.  

2 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I look no further then the Packers and Mike McCarthy.   That team looks pretty ordinary in a lot of areas without Rodgers.  Hopefully Winston can get near that level.  

Or the Colts when they lost Peyton for a season with his neck injury. Or the Colts again without Luck. Or the Steelers without Big Ben. Or the Broncos before and after Peyton. 

Having great QB play helps hide so many deficiencies on your team.

Tom Cable hired as Oline coach for the Raiders, this should be a no brainer to bring in Mike Tice for Warhop.  We shall see.  Not sure what to make that the Bucs are basically sending the assistant of the assistant coaches to the East-West Shrine game.  I would have thought if all the staff was coming back, you want them all there to evaluate the talent because it is basically playoffs or bust who does come back. 

15 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Tom Cable hired as Oline coach for the Raiders, this should be a no brainer to bring in Mike Tice for Warhop.  We shall see.  Not sure what to make that the Bucs are basically sending the assistant of the assistant coaches to the East-West Shrine game.  I would have thought if all the staff was coming back, you want them all there to evaluate the talent because it is basically playoffs or bust who does come back. 

I’m gonna continue to be a Debbie downer in this area. If we wanted to replace guys I believe we would have shown signs of it by now. The level of loyalty/stubbornness/stupidity displayed by Koetter not to make any changes is astonishing. To say ONLY players is why we had 5 wins is to be disillusioned.

10 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I’m gonna continue to be a Debbie downer in this area. If we wanted to replace guys I believe we would have shown signs of it by now. The level of loyalty/stubbornness/stupidity displayed by Koetter not to make any changes is astonishing. To say ONLY players is why we had 5 wins is to be disillusioned.

There are games that show it was players that lost the game. Baker's offsides against Carolina immediately comes to mind. Buffalo had half their yards of offense in like four or five plays.

11 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

There are games that show it was players that lost the game. Baker's offsides against Carolina immediately comes to mind. Buffalo had half their yards of offense in like four or five plays.

Sure. Players play. We see their deficiencies 16 weeks a year like we see their successes. Problem is when you take the last 2 years as a whole, what impresses you or makes you say, man we have solid coaches? Our D as a whole still not knowing the defense (Mike Smith). We went on a turnover binge last year, other than that we were garbage. The rotational G story on the OL or lack of developing young players (Warhop). Jameis telling the QB coach what’s up opposed to the opposite and still having footwork issues (Bajakian). I could go on. Point is, yes players play, but coaches get players ready to play, and in the last 2 years there are many obvious coaching deficiencies. Not making adjustments on a losing team, even if small and minor, is a real head scratcher.

20 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I just.............., wow.  The Glazers never cease to amaze me.  

okay

so retaining Koetter doesnt upset me THAT much

but Smith too??? come on man, its not like we can just tweak one player and the defense will be better , the whole defensive idea of this team was trash last year, and i for one , do not think smith can turn it around

Keeping the entire coaching staff after missing out on Chucky doesn't exactly inspire confidence. But if Jameis comes in next year and picks up where he left off the the last quarter of the season, it won't matter. We'll win a lot more games. And nobody will care.

On 2018-01-13 at 12:27 PM, bucsfan333 said:

I don't really think that matters. If a coordinator gets a chance to make A LOT more money and become a head coach, he's gonna take it. 

And it's not like we're cap-strapped, void of talent, and without a QB. We're not a couple pieces away from a Super Bowl run, but we're not far from the playoffs.

And who doesn't want to move to Florida?

Agree. I think that Tampa and the Titans would have been the top of the list. 

Not sure where to put this but here is something to ponder. 

2016 draft : deep on the DL. DT and edge. 

We took in the first three picks: 

corner - Vernon Hargreaves 

second: DE Noah Spence 

second: k Aguayo. 

So the saints picked after us twice in rounds 1 and two. They took Von bell in the second and rankings in the first. 

What bothers me the most is that Jason Licht screwed up big time. Our front 4 was wretched going into that draft. Think about what could have been if: 

1st round: Sheldon Rankins DT 

2nd : Noah Spence DE

2nd: instead of Aguayo , We took ngueke (didn’t look up spelling) DE. 

As I listened to Joe bucs fan pod casts, they have sources that when the Bucs took Aguayo, some scouts wanted Ngueke over Spence and were extremely high on him. The fact we could have had both of them and Rankins would have eliminated the hole were in now. 

Brings me to my next constructively criticism of Jason Licht. 

In the second round of the 2017 draft, Licht tried to move up and draft Dalvin Cook. However the asking price was too high that he passed. 

Bucs clearly were looking to upgrade at RB. 

What didn’t they see in Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt? Kamara for sure Bc he went to the division rival Saints and is a versatile stud and we wouldn’t have had to trade up in either scenario. 

I like Justin Evans but he clearly is not the overal impact of a Hunt or Kamara. 

Again Licht failed to address the talent on this roster when it was available. 

41 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Brings me to my next constructively criticism of Jason Licht. 

In the second round of the 2017 draft, Licht tried to move up and draft Dalvin Cook. However the asking price was too high that he passed. 

Bucs clearly were looking to upgrade at RB. 

What didn’t they see in Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt? Kamara for sure Bc he went to the division rival Saints and is a versatile stud and we wouldn’t have had to trade up in either scenario. 

I like Justin Evans but he clearly is not the overal impact of a Hunt or Kamara. 

Again Licht failed to address the talent on this roster when it was available. 

We liked Godwin more in the third. I still don't see anything wrong with that.

Archived