Will Special Teams play actually improve in 2022?

vike daddy

Kickers aren't like other players.  Comparatively, they aren't on the field often, and when they are, their performance has an outsized impact on the outcome. Fans frustration when they miss kicks is understandable. When the kicks are made, especially at the end of a game, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.  In other words,  there is never any middle ground in how we feel about kickers.  

Joseph is King of Minnesota this week.  If he misses a consequential kick this week, calls to get rid of him will renew.  It's the life of a kicker in the current NFL.  

• Like 1

The Special Teams units have been really great this year.  Sure, there have been blunders, missed XPs and blocks allowed.  But, when you look at the opponent's average starting field position, it's pretty impressive.  Wright had his first touchback punting last week, Week #16!   That is phenomenal!  

Kick offs have been pretty solid, but we have allowed a few long returns which would be nice to tighten up as we get into these next few weeks.  I also like our return game.  May not be dynamic every opportunity, but Kene gets the adrenaline flowing when he pulls the trigger . . . never know what's about to happen.

Greg Joseph hasn't been perfect this year, but since the mid-way point, he's been winning games . . . and that's all that matters to me.  When we need points to tie or win, he's been clutch.  We need that to continue . . . NO JINXING!!!

Wright may need to work on his passing a bit, but he's more than capable of helping keep the game under better control.  Gotta love that cannon he owns . . . 70+ yard kicks are rare to come by, but when a guy can do it, there's always a feeling the defense will be given more field than expected to work with.  It's kind of comforting to see him launch one from his own ten and to see the return retreat 20+ yards to stop it from pinning his own offense inside the 30 or 20.  I wonder if that's a fear factor for opponents?

On 12/28/2022 at 10:36 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Our kickoffs aren't that deep, right? I think that would solve some return issues for us.

This has the Vikings ranked as 15th in touchback %.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/kickoff-touchback-pct

Perhaps Kene will get a chance this week in Lambeau given the Packers have the lowest touchback % in the NFL this year.

• Like 2

field access microphones picked up Cousins congratulating Greg Joseph on his kick that beat the Giants.

Cousins asked him "how long was it?" Joseph just shakes his head and says, "I don't know, I don't know..."

it's cool that the kickers don't know the distance, just look at the goal posts and psych up for it.