GB free agency 2022

squire12

Just now, Packerraymond said:

The Packers have committed to damaging their future cap for the present by bringing back Aaron and eventually making him the highest paid player in NFL history. We pushed out salary for an OT who couldn't even come back from an ACL in 13 months. Catch up with the rest of us.

Jokes aside, you're irritating. The things I'm saying are not terribly unrealistic, and you're acting like some neckbeard snob discussing which controller is better for their 10,000 dollar gaming PC. When was the last time the Packers made a YOLO move?

The Packers are doing these things in order to afford players they already have. I'm discussing the matter of bringing in other players. Do you really believe the Packers right now with Adams on the tag and Rodgers and their current cap situation are in any position to make big moves?

Also, more importantly, before you continue this condescending tone, do you think they're going to?

That's what I'm discussing.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Afams can report like week 7 or something and play on the tag the remaining part of the year.

There is also a mid July deadline for the franchise tagged players to sign a longterm extension.  

Deadlines lead to deals.

Deadline 1: March 16th

Deadline 2:  mid July 

That one means a couple of players are down the road. Which means the GM/QB is going to be pissed off and may retire or ask trade himself to a team of his choosing for a price of his choosing.

Edited by Old Guy

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Jokes aside, you're irritating. The things I'm saying are not terribly unrealistic, and you're acting like some neckbeard snob discussing which controller is better for their 10,000 dollar gaming PC. When was the last time the Packers made a YOLO move?

The Packers are doing these things in order to afford players they already have. I'm discussing the matter of bringing in other players. Do you really believe the Packers right now with Adams on the tag and Rodgers and their current cap situation are in any position to make big moves?

Also, more importantly, before you continue this condescending tone, do you think they're going to?

Assuming they get a deal done with Adams and knock his cap number down by two-thirds for this year, GB can actually pretty easily clear about $25-30m in cap to sign whoever they want. This could just mean signing their own guys like Campbell, Sul and Tonyan, but they should definitely have enough to sign one impact player, whether that be a WR, DL, TE, etc. People misconstrue FA signings because they look at the total value of the contract and say "no way the Packers can afford that." For instance, Allen Robinson is probably getting a deal between $15-18m aav. But, for 2022, he'll probably cost around $5-7m in terms of his cap hit. So the Packers can afford pretty much any player they want as long as you structure the contract a certain way. 

Edited by packfanfb

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You're getting sensitive. 

I could see the FO trying to get a TE or WR because they seem to have coveted another pass catcher for Aaron for awhile.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Assuming they get a deal done with Adams and knock his cap number down by two-thirds for this year, GB can actually pretty easily clear about $25-30m in cap to sign whoever they want. This could just mean signing their own guys like Campbell, Sul and Tonyan, but they should definitely have enough to sign one impact player, whether that be a WR, DL, TE, etc. People misconstrue FA signings because they look at the total value of the contract and say "no way the Packers can afford that." For instance, Allen Robinson is probably getting a deal between $15-18m aav. But, for 2022, he'll probably cost around $5-7m in terms of his cap hit. So the Packers can afford pretty much any player they want as long as you structure the contract a certain way. 

I know they could do it.

The question is will they do it?

There is literally not a move they couldn't figure out if they really wanted to do it. Any FA is attainable depending on how much they want to push out and how tight they want to be.

But this is the Packers. They don't do that.

Last year was supposed to be an all-in move. They went all-in by adding Douglas when every other corner was injured.

The Rams, Buccaneers, Patriots, Chiefs... Every team that wins Super Bowls anymore makes YOLO moves. The Packers don't, and they won't.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

This is partially true. At some point the rest of that contract bill is going to come due. If Rodgers is sticking around for 2-3 years, then it makes sense to a point. Pushing too much money into future years is a recipe for mediocrity down the road. Then a total flush and rebuild. 

Should have cashed in on Rodgers two, three years ago, but for certain last year. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I know they could do it.

The question is will they do it?

There is literally not a move they couldn't figure out if they really wanted to do it. Any FA is attainable depending on how much they want to push out and how tight they want to be.

But this is the Packers. They don't do that.

Last year was supposed to be an all-in move. They went all-in by adding Douglas when every other corner was injured.

The Rams, Buccaneers, Patriots, Chiefs... Every team that wins Super Bowls anymore makes YOLO moves. The Packers don't, and they won't.

I don't think any past trend or notion about how the Packers do business in FA applies this season (nor has it for the last couple of years). Gute pretty much admitted during the combine that the old business plan has been thrown out. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

This is partially true. At some point the rest of that contract bill is going to come due. If Rodgers is sticking around for 2-3 years, then it makes sense to a point. Pushing too much money into future years is a recipe for mediocrity down the road. Then a total flush and rebuild. 

Should have cashed in on Rodgers two, three years ago, but for certain last year. 

Right, the hurt is/will be coming, but as @Packerraymond pointed out, the bill isn't due yet, and frankly, won't be due until 12 is gone in the next year or two. Until then, it's all just IOUs. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You're getting sensitive.

No, you're just getting irritating and I'm pointing it out. I'm typically absurd and I typically use hyperbole and pessimism and I get it, but the things you're responding to don't feature those things. Realistically, the Packers would have to go completely against type compared to everything they've done since 1992 with a brief hiccup from Sherman.

They don't make these YOLO moves. They make calculated free agent signings when the cap space is there. The year of the Smiths and Amos... We had the cap space. We literally HAD to spend money on free agents in order to get the minimum that y ou have to spend.

This is not that year. This is a year where the Packers are tight against the cap.

There is nothing in the past 30 years of how the Packers have operated to suggest they will make any significant additions this year.

I could see the FO trying to get a TE or WR because they seem to have coveted another pass catcher for Aaron for awhile.

Yeah. And what have they done about it? They've turned their nose up at acquiring Fuller because they had to draft... I don't even know who that turned out being. Meyers?

They turned their nose up at the cost of Sanders.

They've wanted to get one for a long, long time. What have they done? They've drafted Rodgers and a bunch of bust tight ends in the third round.

For three straight years they have missed out on acquiring one of them because they didn't fit their contractual desires or their draft capital limit. So for three straight years we've gotten Steam Engine, The guya and ARWR.

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Rap still sticking to his guns about Rodgers having a new deal in place despite no announcement yet on the terms. Preston's cap hit was going to be $19.7m this season. We'll see how far that number drops. 

This is a fair deal for a guy who can rush the passer and plays the run pretty well.