GB free agency 2022

squire12

List of GB free agents.  If anyone is missing or in the incorrect, please let me know

ERFA RFA UFA void years
Malik Taylor Allen Lazard Davante Adams  
Randy Ramsey   Kevin King Kevin King
Krys Barnes   Robert Tonyan Robert Tonyan
Henry Black   Chandon Sullivan Chandon Sullivan
Dominque Dafney   De'Vondre Campbell De'Vondre Campbell
Chauncey Rivers   Dennis Kelly  
Yosh Nijman   Lucas Patrick  
Jake Hanson   Tyler Lancaster  
    Whitney Mercilus  
    Rasul Douglas  
    Corey Bojorquez  
    MVS  
    Oren Burks  
    EQ  

As of March 10, GB is $45.8M over the cap.  Table below is options for GB to get under the cap by March 16th at 400PM EST

numbers are pulled from Spotrac.  

• Restructures can only happen with players having 2+ years remaining on contract
  • Extensions can happen with any player still under contract
  • Extensions are very rough estimates of a "max" amount that could be saved.   The values would depend entirely on the contract components /structure

current cap -$45.80
cap savings if cut
cap savings if restructured
cap savings if extended

ZaDarius Smith $15.28 $0.00 $11.30
  Preston Smith $12.47 $0.00 $8.70
  Randall Cobb $6.74 $3.37 $5.40
  Mason Crosby $2.39 $1.22 $1.30
  Adrian Amos $4.65 $4.78 $5.10
  Dean Lowry $3.98 $3.38 $3.61
  Billy Turner $5.81 $3.51 $3.74
  Marcedes Lewis $2.44 $0.66 $0.80
  Aaron Rodgers $19.81 $13.18 $21.09
  Jaire Alexander $0.00 $0.00 $9.80
  Davante Adams $20.14 $0.00 $15.22
Edited by squire12

22 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Not sure if this is confirmed but

Ian Thomas TE Carolina re-signed 3 years $16.5M with $8M in guarantees.

What does that do for Robert Tonyan contract?

https://theathletic.com/3150297/2022/02/25/panthers-free-agency-news-grades-analysis-te-ian-thomas-back-on-3-year-deal/?source=spotrac&pc=spotrac40off2

I saw that and thought Tonyan going to be making serious dollar. Thomas last three years stats: 188 yards, 145 yards, 136 yards. Tonyan easily got a case for 3 years $33m if not more based off Thomas's deal.

27 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

EQ is restricted? He's 4 years in, did one not accrue or something?

Pretty sure he's a UFA.

I used spotrac when doing my mock draft, there's a few more ERFAs but only two RFAs.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/green-bay-packers/

Edit: he's only missing ERFA Benkert and one Mr. Rasul Douglas as a UFA

Edit edit: and Jack Heflin is a UFA

Edit edit edit: and Will Redmond is a member of the Indianapolis Colts

Edited by Sandy

6 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I saw that and thought Tonyan going to be making serious dollar. Thomas last three years stats: 188 yards, 145 yards, 136 yards. Tonyan easily got a case for 3 years $33m if not more based off Thomas's deal.

Spotrac has him projected at 4 years, $43.2M which is WAY off from what he's going to get.

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Way less or way more?

Way way way less.  Dude is coming off an ACL mid season.  He might not even see the field next year.  He only had one good season in his entire career.  Last year he didn't play particularly well before getting hurt.  HIs market is going to be soft very soft.  

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Way way way less.  Dude is coming off an ACL mid season.  He might not even see the field next year.  He only had one good season in his entire career.  Last year he didn't play particularly well before getting hurt.  HIs market is going to be soft very soft.  

Lol no it's not, he's a TE who can run, catch and block. ACL injuries aren't scary in 2022. He'll have plenty of suitors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Lol no it's not, he's a TE who can run, catch and block. ACL injuries aren't scary in 2022. He'll have plenty of suitors.

Should be Tight End Musical Chairs out there considering how many of comparable ability/production are hitting free agency this year. I think 4 for 43 is a huge stretch but could see him settling in for 2 for 15.

14 minutes ago, StartBarr said:

What does a RFA deal for Yosh Nijman look like? Thought he was ERFA and would be a $895k tender…

I don't think he's done enough for the ROFR tag at $2.43m. We'll treat him as a UFA and probably bring him back for about $950k.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Well we'll see.  Doesn't do a lot of good to sign him if he can't play.  (He blew out his knee midseason) Certainly not at 10 plus mil/yr.  Nah I respectfully disagree...Maybe someone takes him on for half of that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

He's only had 1 good season (2020).

And 3 mediocre seasons.

2018: 77 yards 1 TD.

2019: 100 yards 1 TD.

2021: 204 yards 2 TDs (ACL injury). 

No team is paying top FA $$$ (for that) when they could just draft a TE to begin with.

And ACL injuries are still scary. I'm a Jets fan. I known. I seen what a blown ACL did to #24's career. Revis was in the absolute prime of his GOAT CB career @ only 26-27 years old when he blew out his ACL. Never played another game as a Jet. And never once returned to prime Revis Island because upon his return from injury he was always a shell of his former (legendary) self. #24 was just never the same again after his blown out ACL. 

Also Carl Lawson. ACL injury @ NCAA + ACL injury @ NFL (Cincinnati Bengals) and now last offseason as a Jets FA he ruptured his Achilles Tendon (before ever playing a single game as a Jet) and he missed entire season and at only 27-28 years old this kid is already damaged goods. 

Same goes for Odell Beckham Jr. Torn ACL (x1) and then tears his second ACL during the Super bowl vs. Cincinnati (x2).

You can go on and on. 

The ACL (as humans) is never supposed to tear to begin with (ever) so once a player blows out his ACL? It's not natural and it's never a good thing. Even once returning from ACL surgery; those players are forever at higher risk to suffer yet another ACL injury. It's bad no matter how you look @ it. 

Can you fully recover? Yes. But it's never supposed to rip apart to begin with. 

• In regards to Robert Tonyan? Already 28 years old in a couple days? Torn ACL midseason? 1 pretty good year in comparison to 3 mediocre seasons? 

I'd be shocked if he receives anything more than $5M per season...

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships
  • Like 1

It only takes two teams who want him who start a bidding war

But I'd be surprised if he got a big contract of the scale suggested above, I certainly wouldn't want us to pay that even if we could.  His 2021 saw a big drop in production before the  injury making 2020 look like an outlier. That combined with potentially missing part of next season and probably not being 100% when he does come back should thin the market.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As of March 10, GB is $45.8M over the cap.  Table below is options for GB to get under the cap by March 16th at 400PM EST

numbers are pulled from Overthecap.  

• Restructures can only happen with players having 2+ years remaining on contract
  • Extensions can happen with any player still under contract
  • Extensions are very rough estimates of a "max" amount that could be saved.   The values would depend entirely on the contract components /structure

Certainly, Jaire, Rodgers and Adams are very unlikely to be cut at this point with Rodgers reported to be returning to GB.    Those 3 are also the most likely contract extension candidates

current cap -$45.80
cap savings if cut
cap savings if restructured
cap savings if extended

ZaDarius Smith $15.28 $0.00 $11.30
  Preston Smith $12.47 $0.00 $8.70
  Randall Cobb $6.74 $3.37 $5.40
  Mason Crosby $2.39 $1.22 $1.30
  Adrian Amos $4.65 $4.78 $5.10
  Dean Lowry $3.98 $3.38 $3.61
  Billy Turner $5.81 $3.51 $3.74
  Marcedes Lewis $2.44 $0.66 $0.80