GB free agency 2022

squire12

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Silverstein reporting that Preston's new deal will drop his cap hit around $8m. So, once we officially release Z, his cap savings, plus Preston's new deal should free up nearly $24m of cap space. 

"Free up?" LOL, kind of a relative term since we are still almost 20 million over the cap with those moves. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

This is a fair deal for a guy who can rush the passer and plays the run pretty well. 

Sack incentives added to his deal as well. Worked pretty well last season. The biggest problem with Preston has always been about motivation. When he really wants it, he showed last season that he's a top 20 EDGE guy. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

"Free up?" LOL, kind of a relative term since we are still almost 20 million over the cap with those moves. 

Actually we're about $35m over currently. Z and Rodgers will erase most if not all of that. At this point, it's about the next set of moves to create cap space we need to sign more players. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Sack incentives added to his deal as well. Worked pretty well last season. The biggest problem with Preston has always been about motivation. When he really wants it, he showed last season that he's a top 20 EDGE guy. 

He historically plays well every other year. Knowing they tied a chuck of his money to production was a good move. Keep him motivated. I like the guy and availability is one of his strengths. 

Depending on how much Rodgers allegedly lowered his cap number, you could extend Z if you thought he was going to check out medically. If you are going all in, the more pass rushers the better. 

Andy Herman -   While I still think it's possible that De'Vondre Campbell could end up back, the news that Adams is unlikely to have an extension done this week and the potential return of Rasul Douglas does make that less likely imo. GB could move to players like Cory Littleton or Jordan Hicks.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -   While I still think it's possible that De'Vondre Campbell could end up back, the news that Adams is unlikely to have an extension done this week and the potential return of Rasul Douglas does make that less likely imo. GB could move to players like Cory Littleton or Jordan Hicks.

Or draft Nakobe Dean in round.

Not an Ingalls guy, but he's right about this point. This Adams "announcement" was all about timing and while the two sides will certainly reach an agreement between now and July, it's the next few days that matter the most. The Packers would obviously like to have that $10m-$12m in extra cap space they'd get in 2022 with an Adams extension versus the $20m tag. Would help GB resign some guys in the next few days before they hit FA. 

Adams' camp obviously knows this...and well, it leads to leaks like "I'm not going to play on the tag." 

Edited by packfanfb

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not an Ingalls guy, but he's right about this point. This Adams "announcement" was all about timing and while the two sides will certainly reach an agreement between now and July, it's the next few days that matter the most. The Packers would obviously like to have that $10m-$12m in extra cap space they'd get in 2022 with an Adams extension versus the $20m tag. Would help GB resign some guys in the next few days before they hit FA. 

Adams' camp obviously knows this...and well, it leads to leaks like "I'm not going to play on the tag." 

The unintended consequence of this is Adams might actually be saving the Packers from themselves. Guys who may have gotten extension to push further money down the road might be getting cut which is what we would have done had we traded Rodgers. 

Also, guys like Campbell and Douglas may get paid before we get a chance to. 

If the Packers cut: Crosby, Lewis, Z. Smith, and Cobb I wouldn't care one bit. I'd love to have been able to extend Z but the back issue is concerning. 

Edited by Old Guy