Best DC / Defensive Mind in NFL History

SkippyX

Best DC / Defensive Mind in NFL History  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best defensive mind in NFL history?

• Bud Carson
    • Bill Belichick
    • Tom Landry
    • Buddy Ryan
    • Wade Phillips
    • Monte Kiffin
    • Other (list below)

59 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Ok let's just keep it simple then...

1.) Who was the QB coach for Joe Montana?

2.) Who was the QB coach for Tom Brady?

3.) Who was the RB coach for Barry Sanders? 

4.) Who was the RB coach for Adrian Peterson? 

5.) Who was the WR coach for Jerry Rice? 

6.) Who was the WR coach for Randy Moss? 

7.) Who was the TE coach for Tony Gonzalez?

8.) Who was the TE coach for Rob Gronkowski?

9.) Who was the O-Line coach for Anthony Munoz? 

10.) Who was the O-Line coach for Bruce Matthews? 

11.) Who was the D-Line coach for Reggie White? 

12.) Who was the D-Line coach for Aaron Donald?

13.) Who was the LB coach for Ray Lewis?

14.) Who was the LB coach for Derrick Thomas?

15.) Who was the CB coach for #24 Darrelle Revis?

16.) Who was the CB coach for Deion Sandes?

17.) Who was the Safety coach for Ronnie Lott?

18.) Who was the Safety coach for Ed Reed? 

19.) Who was the ST coach for Punter Shane Lechler? 

20.) Who was the ST coach for FG kicker Adam Vinatieri?

21.) Who was the ST coach for KR/PR Devin Hester? 

lawrence taylor giants GIF

1) Mike Holmgren, famous member of probably the most famous offensive coaching tree
2) Tom House, although not with the Patriots but is the guy I'd credit off the top of my head
3) Don't know
4) Eric Bienemy, it's his resume beyond current KC OC lol he's talked about each offseason for HC jobs
5) Dennis Green
6) I don't know, but like above Dennis Green got this job because he was Jerry's WR coach lol. He was Moss's HC.
7) I don't know
8. Brian Daboll, he got hired this year and has been talked about last couple offseasons
9) don't know
10) don't know
11) This was Buddy Ryan/Wade Phillips/Jeff Fisher eagles D, don't know any of the Packers defensive coaching staff but I know the offensive staff was loaded under Holmgren with like Andy Reid, Steve Marriucci and Jon Gruden.
12) don't know the position coach but like Reggie White worked with Jeff Fisher and Wade Phillips
13) Rex Ryan? I'm pretty sure Rex is the LB coach.
14) Bill Cowher it got him the Steelers job
15) don't know but I know it's a Rex Ryan staff
16) I don't know early on with Falcons, maybe Ray Rhodes with 49ers but mid-90s is kinda late for that but I know Mike Zimmer coached him with the Cowboys
17) Ray Rhodes he coached the 49ers DBs for forever and became the Eagles HC then was the Packers HC after Holmgren before Sherman
18) I don't know, but I'mma guess it is the same guy for Revis since Rex Ryan was an assistant on this staff too so I'mma assume he snags the guy who coached Reed to coach Revis
19-21) don't know ST coaches

11 minutes ago, Trojan said:

1) Mike Holmgren, famous member of probably the most famous offensive coaching tree
2) Tom House, although not with the Patriots but is the guy I'd credit off the top of my head
3) Don't know
4) Eric Bienemy, it's his resume beyond current KC OC lol he's talked about each offseason for HC jobs
5) Dennis Green
6) I don't know, but like above Dennis Green got this job because he was Jerry's WR coach lol. He was Moss's HC.
7) I don't know
8. Brian Daboll, he got hired this year and has been talked about last couple offseasons
9) don't know
10) don't know
11) This was Buddy Ryan/Wade Phillips/Jeff Fisher eagles D, don't know any of the Packers defensive coaching staff but I know the offensive staff was loaded under Holmgren with like Andy Reid, Steve Marriucci and Jon Gruden.
12) don't know the position coach but like Reggie White worked with Jeff Fisher and Wade Phillips
13) Rex Ryan? I'm pretty sure Rex is the LB coach.
14) Bill Cowher it got him the Steelers job
15) don't know but I know it's a Rex Ryan staff
16) I don't know early on with Falcons, maybe Ray Rhodes with 49ers but mid-90s is kinda late for that but I know Mike Zimmer coached him with the Cowboys
17) Ray Rhodes he coached the 49ers DBs for forever and became the Eagles HC then was the Packers HC after Holmgren before Sherman
18) I don't know, but I'mma guess it is the same guy for Revis since Rex Ryan was an assistant on this staff too so I'mma assume he snags the guy who coached Reed to coach Revis
19-21) don't know ST coaches

I've gotta give it to you, you've got one hell of a memory to be able to not only memorize a bunch of these positional coaches but also being able to think back and remember exactly which year they position coached for which Rookie players year etc. 

However (keep in mind) that all of these players listed above had multiple (not just one) but multiple positional coaches throughout their entire career and all of these players would've been legendary regardless of positional coaches (or not). 

You or me could've been Lawrence LT Taylor's LB coach and Lawrence LT Taylor (himself) would've still destroyed the league @ 🏈

15 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I've gotta give it to you, you've got one hell of a memory to be able to not only memorize a bunch of these positional coaches but also being able to think back and remember exactly which year they position coached for which Rookie players year etc. 

However (keep in mind) that all of these players listed above had multiple (not just one) but multiple positional coaches throughout their entire career and all of these players would've been legendary regardless of positional coaches (or not). 

You or me could've been Lawrence LT Taylor's LB coach and Lawrence LT Taylor (himself) would've still destroyed the league @ 🏈

oh it's rookie year only? I basically named a couple famous coaching trees and then famous eventual hc's who got their jobs based off working with HOF players. They worked with them and later got promoted. I have no idea if they worked with them their rookie year. Reggie White's rookie year wasn't even in the NFL lol, he's one of the USFL guys and I have no idea about that league.

Edited by Trojan

12 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Lawrence Taylor got after Joe Montana.

Lawrence Taylor was a superstar freak of nature before Bill Belichick ever called 1 defensive play call for the Giants. 

BB did not "make" LT because LT was an animal long before Bill Belichick. 

Joe beat LT in the playoffs before BB was named DC.

George Seifert was the DB coach for the 3 rookies on the 1981 49ers. Then he was a great DC. Then he won 2 SBs as a head coach.

Rhodes was his assistant and then promoted to Db coach when Seifert went to DC.

Rhodes was DC in 1994 after returning from Green Bay.

The defense was almost always awesome with Seifert around. He is seriously underrated.

LeBeau is definitely in the conversation.

He had 11 years of top 10 Ds in 13 years in Pittsburgh.

3 were 1/1 defenses along with a 2/1, a 1/2, and a 1/6, 2/4 and 4/3

That's 8 absolutely elite defenses and that's from 1995 through 2012 so its not all based on specific players.

His 18 years in Cincy / Tennessee were meh except for a 15/16 ranked D that held Montana and the 49ers to 13 points in a Bengals SB win...

Oh yeah, Billups dropped the interception in the end zone on the last drive. He still held them to 20 in a very close loss.

Serious Bonus Points. He was a 3x pro bowl and 2x 2nd team all pro DB with 62 interceptions. That's tied for 10th all time.

(I should have added him to that list)

I'm really glad you brought up Carson. People seem to forget him because he was meh as a HC and they want to credit Chuck Noll for the Steelers. But what he did there and in Philly is legendary. And he also had 6 more top 10 seasons between the Rams, Jets, and Browns as HC.

Carson had 4 #1 defenses

I believe the 1999-2001 Rams are still the only team to ever score 500+ points in three consecutive years.

Not only did Belichick neuter that offense in the Super Bowl - he broke Martz, Warner (for several years) and the Rams franchise as a whole.

Great discussion for who number two is, but I can't see anyone over BB here.