2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

I still remember being in my early 20s working at McDonalds and I had an assistant manager (I was a swing manager) tell me "Never assume anything...Have you heard what happens when you assume something?"  That certainly has stuck with me and try not to (although it's awfully difficult).  

I like bringing back Mannion. It’s no doubt a league minimum deal, he has a very good relationship with Cousins, and he’s been in McVay’s offense before. 

This doesn’t remove the possibility of the Vikings drafting a QB, and it doesn’t blindly hand Mond the backup job that he hasn’t earned yet. 

Assuming that it’s a league minimum deal, as that is what Mannion signed for last year, this creates TC battle for the QB2 spot. Mannion isn’t very good, but you know what you’re getting with him. If Mond can’t beat him out for the QB2 job, then Mond is not worth rostering. And if Mond does beat out Mannion, then Mannion won’t likely be on the roster. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

No team hires backup QBs to be competition. 

It’s really a tired narrative. 

I agree that's not the intent, but when you have new blood waiting in the wings or a mediocre starter it's almost inevitable - unless you truly have top-tier talent at the position. In the pre-Cousins days the team juggled so many meh QBs that they were in a nearly perpetual state of controversy. The grass was always greener on the other side.

Cousins is certainly not a mediocre QB, but many perceive him as one. It's ridiculous to blame a good QB who personally performs well and leads a successful offense for losses caused largely by a bad defense. But all it would take for a controvery to brew is for Mond to blow things up in the preseason or for the team to draft a QB on day 1. Many fans are just like that.

All I'm saying is that Cousins can probably take some comfort in the fact that no one will likely be calling for him to be benched in favor of his backup - not that such banter has any impact on the team's decisions. Cousins has some limitations but I think he'll do really well in the new system anyway, so a lot of the unwarranted criticisms should taper off during the season.

Edited by Sir Fobos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I still remember being in my early 20s working at McDonalds and I had an assistant manager (I was a swing manager) tell me "Never assume anything...Have you heard what happens when you assume something?"  That certainly has stuck with me and try not to (although it's awfully difficult).  

My 8th grade science teacher taught us that

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

That might say more about their scouts and the ability as scouts than it says about Wyatt Davis. 

Davis hasn’t really done anything to warrant praise yet so maybe the scouts are right since Davis is a backup and nothing more at this stage.