2022 Offseason Discussion

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

I’ve made my opinion on Baker known. I honestly don’t care how Baker feels.

Which I agree with, but in my opinion, this is not about Baker, and more about organizational stability. What few free agents who already want to come here will be turned off by how players are being treated, and quality FO and coaches will see that they are just getting/going to get trumped by a maniacal owner who can't help but meddle in the team affairs.

I don’t want to be San Francisco wasting our time with a Jimmy G.

I agree with this. I also think that there's a right and wrong way to do business. JMHO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’ve made my opinion on Baker known. I honestly don’t care how Baker feels.

I don’t want to be San Francisco wasting our time with a Jimmy G.

I get your point, but no Baker and no Watson means what 2022?  It’s a wasted season.  

Unless we’re going to draft one of these underwhelming prospects…

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Which I agree with, but in my opinion, this is not about Baker, and more about organizational stability. What few free agents who already want to come here will be turned off by how players are being treated, and quality FO and coaches will see that they are just getting/going to get trumped by a maniacal owner who can't help but meddle in the team affairs.

Yeah at some point you just need to show you can be consistent and reliable.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I agree with this. I also think that there's a right and wrong way to do business. JMHO

On top of this, I’d rather be the 9ers with Jimmy than the Browns under Haslam.

I trust the nerds, but this doesn’t seem nerd-like.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get your point, but no Baker and no Watson means what 2022?  It’s a wasted season.

You’re right a wasted season would suck.

I’ll give you a worse scenario: Baker looks slightly competent next year, we give him a massive contract, and we’re stuck in purgatory with 5 years of wasted seasons.

Unless Baker puts up Brees numbers next year, I cannot watch this team if we fall into a Jimmy G trap.

You’re right a wasted season would suck.

I’ll give you a worse scenario: Baker looks slightly competent next year, we give him a massive contract, and we’re stuck in purgatory with 5 years of wasted seasons.

Unless Baker puts up Brees numbers next year, I cannot watch this team if we fall into a Jimmy G trap.

I’d be shocked if the nerds gave Baker a massive contract with no outs for 5 years based off of one middling season.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Andrew Berry is a smart man. I think, for whatever reason, we are underestimating how stupid our owner is. If Haslam is in Texas, he told the FO this is the route he wanted to explore. No choice underneath him. Damn the repercussions if we don’t actually get him. So shortsighted.

And what if it's not Truck Stop Jimmy that is pushing this idea?   Berry IS smart, and knows that there are repercussions for attempting to make this move.  If HE is the one driving this...then I would think that regardless of the outcome of landing Watson, there is a plan B in place in the event we don't land him, that doesn't necessarily involve Baker.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

And what if it's not Truck Stop Jimmy that is pushing this idea?   Berry IS smart, and knows that there are repercussions for attempting to make this move.  If HE is the one driving this...then I would think that regardless of the outcome of landing Watson, there is a plan B in place in the event we don't land him, that doesn't necessarily involve Baker.

I suppose that’s fair. I have a hard time thinking AB will get caught with his pants down tbh.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I am encouraged by us meeting with Watson for 1 thing:

This front office knows Baker ain’t it.

Now this I can buy, especially in light of BPP's observation: 

11 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

This is a great point. If the Watson thing is legit, then they'd better understand and/or have a Plan B in place to deal Baker, recoup whatever value you can have, and move on with that "next guy". Let's just all hope that isn't a 1st Round pick this year, and at this point in the market, I'm not sure who that "next guy" is, because Jimmy G is a lateral move at best.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Idk, maybe I’ve seen stuff like this with Jimmy too many times, but this reeks of his desperation.

Watson is a great QB on a really solid contract, so I can see the appeal from the nerds side to some degree, but a lot of this just doesn’t seem to add up to being the nerds.

And, tbh, based upon Berry doubling down on Baker multiple times, I more or less believe that if Baker wasn't their guy, you'd have gotten some vague sidestepping ala the Rams with Goff last year, the Colts with Wentz this year, etc.

"Baker is our QB right now"

"We drafted Baker #1 for a reason"

"Baker played hurt last year. We are looking forward to what the future brings."

etc.

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And, tbh, based upon Berry doubling down on Baker multiple times, I more or less believe that if Baker wasn't their guy, you'd have gotten some vague sidestepping ala the Rams with Goff last year, the Colts with Wentz this year, etc.

"Baker is our QB right now"

"We drafted Baker #1 for a reason"

"Baker played hurt last year. We are looking forward to what the future brings."

etc.

I don’t listen to what they say at all tbh.  I’ll believe he’s your guy when there’s a signed extension.

• Like 1

I hope we trade for Watson, I just hope we dont give away half the team to do it.

Baker, 1st and 2nd this year, 1st and 2nd next year

The 2023 1st is tricky though, cause if Watson is suspended 6, 8, 10, 12....games, that pick is gonna be easily top 10, maybe top 5.

Rather give 2024 1st, obviously Houston would prefer the 2023 1st.  

Either way, yeah, Baker aint it.  I'd personally rather trade Baker to whoever even if we dont get WAtson, suck this year, and draft another QB high next year.  

As others have said, I dont want to be a 500 team in purgatory for the next 10 years.

• Like 1