Free Agency- Possible Targets

ARTMONK HOF

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Good God...

Can we sign someone that has a higher rating than 60 in Madden.

This dude is 29 & coming over from the USFL.

I'm holding out hope for LB Dion Jones (Atl)

They're looking to trade him & cowboys just signed Anthony Barr so he's gone.

At this point, Rivera & JDL suiting up would be an upgrade to what we have.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:05 PM, aceinthehouse said:

Good God...

Can we sign someone that has a higher rating than 60 in Madden.

This dude is 29 & coming over from the USFL.

I'm holding out hope for LB Dion Jones (Atl)

They're looking to trade him & cowboys just signed Anthony Barr so he's gone.

At this point, Rivera & JDL suiting up would be an upgrade to what we have.

Don’t hold your breath buddy.

On 8/7/2022 at 3:35 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Not the guy any of us wanted but at least he’s a guy with some starting experience. 

The signing doesn’t hurt, and it does give us 5th worth having on the team as depth behind Holcomb & Jamin.

I am really befuddled that they just aren’t bringing Landon back. 

We all watched it. It worked. Even people who have hated on him since the day he signed had to concede that he was hugely impactful in that role, which was basically tailor-made for him. 

He’s clearly not getting big money to sign anywhere else. There’s clearly not a team out there holding their SS spot open for him. His options are dwindling, as ours have. It seems to make so much sense for both sides that it’s hard to wrap the ole noggin around why it hasn’t happened. Even if they don’t want to sign a guy like AJ Johnson, they’re enslaved to the “we don’t play 3 LBs” thing, that’s no reason not to bring Collins back. There are plenty of snaps for him in that role he played last year.

This is where they lose me. Are we trying to win this year or not? Are we focused on this being our big breakthrough season where we go from “also-ran” to “team to be reckoned with”? Do we really think that Nate Gerry and Darrick Forrest are giving us what we could get from Collins at that Buffalo nickel spot — or are we just trying to get 80% of the production at 30% of the cost?

If the answer to those first two questions are “yes,” then I feel as though we are past the point of bargain shopping. At least at starting/high-impact positions. We need all of the production available to us, not lesser players who we get at discount prices. We can’t step up to teams like LAR and TB and DAL and expect to hang our hats on how much bang we got for our buck. 

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

We all watched it. It worked. Even people who have hated on him since the day he signed had to concede that he was hugely impactful in that role, which was basically tailor-made for him. 

He’s clearly not getting big money to sign anywhere else. There’s clearly not a team out there holding their SS spot open for him. His options are dwindling, as ours have. It seems to make so much sense for both sides that it’s hard to wrap the ole noggin around why it hasn’t happened. Even if they don’t want to sign a guy like AJ Johnson, they’re enslaved to the “we don’t play 3 LBs” thing, that’s no reason not to bring Collins back. There are plenty of snaps for him in that role he played last year.

This is where they lose me. Are we trying to win this year or not? Are we focused on this being our big breakthrough season where we go from “also-ran” to “team to be reckoned with”? Do we really think that Nate Gerry and Darrick Forrest are giving us what we could get from Collins at that Buffalo nickel spot — or are we just trying to get 80% of the production at 30% of the cost?

If the answer to those first two questions are “yes,” then I feel as though we are past the point of bargain shopping. At least at starting/high-impact positions. We need all of the production available to us, not lesser players who we get at discount prices. We can’t step up to teams like LAR and TB and DAL and expect to hang our hats on how much bang we got for our buck. 

I definitely would've made a phone call to him at the start of Training Camp to see if he wanted to come back. Preseason will for sure show if they have someone on the team now that can fill that void. Collins knows the system, played well when he transitioned to LB, and wouldn't be expensive. Another guy who would give us depth and good play is Eric Flowers. They both are Vets who know the system, are cheap, and who can contribute to this team right now. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, e16bball said:

You’re assuming it’s them who doesn’t want him back. I can’t say what the reason is that he’s not here but, it could be that he doesn’t want to play the role he did last year or that he doesn’t want to have to go through training camp. The latter kind of perks my ears bc Rivera keeps saying they have this plan to bring in a guy. Well maybe that guy is Collins or AJ Klein but they don’t want to sign right now but Rivera knows they will in a few weeks.

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’re assuming it’s them who doesn’t want him back. I can’t say what the reason is that he’s not here but, it could be that he doesn’t want to play the role he did last year or that he doesn’t want to have to go through training camp. The latter kind of perks my ears bc Rivera keeps saying they have this plan to bring in a guy. Well maybe that guy is Collins or AJ Klein but they don’t want to sign right now but Rivera knows they will in a few weeks.

Maybe. We’ll see if that proves to be the case. 

But Nathan Gerry is a relatively established guy in the league. Had become a full-time starter in Philly before he tore his Achilles. Is he signing here (and are they signing him) when they have 2-3 guys cemented ahead of him and are actively planning to sign another veteran in a couple weeks to slot ahead of him as well? Maybe they would do that.

Hopefully that’s the case. It just seems like a gaping hole that they can fill with a player who fits well and that we know and (most of us) like. I’m willing to accept their position that they don’t need a 3rd traditional LB, but…let’s not use that as an excuse to then skimp on the hybrid position. 

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

Well, Schoebert just signed with Denver so so much for that….

He can’t cover, we aren’t missing much there. The Steelers didn’t keep him, chose to sign Myles Jack & Robert Spillane might start at WLB there over Devin Bush.

Edited by turtle28

On 8/9/2022 at 11:11 AM, e16bball said:

Maybe. We’ll see if that proves to be the case. 

But Nathan Gerry is a relatively established guy in the league. Had become a full-time starter in Philly before he tore his Achilles. Is he signing here (and are they signing him) when they have 2-3 guys cemented ahead of him and are actively planning to sign another veteran in a couple weeks to slot ahead of him as well? Maybe they would do that.

Hopefully that’s the case. It just seems like a gaping hole that they can fill with a player who fits well and that we know and (most of us) like. I’m willing to accept their position that they don’t need a 3rd traditional LB, but…let’s not use that as an excuse to then skimp on the hybrid position. 

In the 1st preseason game they had Kam Curl playing Buffalo Nickel & or course he played well & Darrick Forrest playing SS who made a few plays in run support.

If the young players play continues to be consistent, I don’t know that they’ll re-sign Collins. 

From the looks of things Curl is your hybrid-LB/Buffalo nickel & Forrest is our starting SS at least for the time being. I’m sure they’ll continue to evaluate it. I thought both guys played good.