Free Agency- Possible Targets

ARTMONK HOF

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I agree that we have a better chance with Wentz than with Baker Mayfield and one or two more FA signings.  Ya. 

Ok but that's why the Franchise is failing and will continue to with people thinking like this. 

31 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

What if he doesn’t sign with us then

Baker Mayfield is available now. Matt Ryan got traded. Mariota got traded. Pick another guy who doesn't cost as much contract wise and draft value as well. Don't forget even if Wentz is released next year we still will owe Indy a 2nd round pick. 

22 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Baker Mayfield is available now. Matt Ryan got traded. Mariota got traded. Pick another guy who doesn't cost as much contract wise and draft value as well. Don't forget even if Wentz is released next year we still will owe Indy a 2nd round pick. 

Mariota was a free agent. Ryan is a former MVP who’s still good but not great anymore.

Wentz is better than Baker. Baker has only looked average in the NFL. Wentz has had an MVP type season & 3 other good seasons, 2018, 2019 & 2021.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Mariota was a free agent. Ryan is a former MVP who’s still good but not great anymore.

Wentz is better than Baker. Baker has only looked average in the NFL. Wentz has had an MVP type season & 3 other good seasons, 2018, 2019 & 2021.

Please stop replying to things me and you already disagree on. I didn't post for You to reply. I get it your fine with the Wentz trade. 

3 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Please stop replying to things me and you already disagree on. I didn't post for You to reply. I get it your fine with the Wentz trade. 

Fine, forget about Wentz. What do you see out of Baker that makes him some kind of answer that we should’ve traded multiple picks for?

So far Baker has shown to be a stronger armed Heinicke & that’s not something I’d trade multiple picks for & pay $19 million for this year while needing to make a decision on whether to extend him on a long term deal w/in the one year he played for me.

It’s obvious no one wants Baker as their starter or to pay $19 million for him. The Browns chose to trade for & extend Watson. The Colts traded for Matt Ryan who looked about done last year & is 38. We traded for Wentz & the Seahawks have chosen to go with Drew Lock so far rather than trade for Baker Mayfield and his contract.

What am I missing?

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Fine, forget about Wentz. What do you see out of Baker that makes him some kind of answer that we should’ve traded multiple picks for?

So far Baker has shown to be a stronger armed Heinicke & that’s not something I’d trade multiple picks for & pay $19 million for this year while needing to make a decision on whether to extend him on a long term deal w/in the one year he played for me.

It’s obvious no one wants Baker as their starter or to pay $19 million for him. The Browns chose to trade for & extend Watson. The Colts traded for Matt Ryan who looked about done last year & is 38. We traded for Wentz & the Seahawks have chosen to go with Drew Lock so far rather than trade for Baker Mayfield and his contract.

What am I missing?

Cheaper and proved cable of being better than Taylor Heinicke. Still has potential to be a good Starter in the league with the right peicies around him. You could get Mayfield for a 3rd to 5th round pick right now and a cheaper contract. 

49 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

How many Championships has Baker Mayfield won?  How many has Matt Ryan won? 

Mayfield brung Cleveland out the mug and he would've been a better selection money wise and IMO talent. Keep ignoring and dancing around my points but they will remain the same. You guys seem to encourage medicoary rather than winning culture. Baker Mayfield lead the freaking Browns to a blowout playoff win over the Steelers yet he isn't better than Taylor Heinicke!

4 hours ago, DCNative said:

Only if he plays >70% of the snaps. Otherwise it's a 3rd.

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Only if he plays >70% of the snaps. Otherwise it's a 3rd.

Less than 70%, makes me a little happier but still doesn't change my thought they gave up too much. At most a 3rd and 5th should've gotten this deal done. 

2 hours ago, DCNative said:

Baker Mayfield put the Browns back on the map after never being rervelant since I been alive yet @turtle28 your really gonna say he wouldn't be a upgrade over TH? Please just answer that one question. 

While he doesn't suck, I will tend to disagree with you. I think what improved the team greatly was their insistence to stock up on picks over the years (playing the NFL's version of Moneyball if you will) and load up on talent. Look at the talent across the board on that team now vs what they had just 6 years ago. Baker Mayfield has shown some good QBing. He's also shown some horrible QBing. At this point, the jury is still out on him (at least IMHO).

But remember, at the time we traded for Wentz he was on the Browns' roster (and he still is). So getting him would've also required a trade. 

I get you don't like Wentz. I'm not sold on him either. But I'm not seeing many great options for QBs this offseason when we traded for Wentz. That's not me excusing the trade or defending it. I'm just saying that we would have traded for someone. And at that time, he (Baker Mayfield) wasn't available.