Free Agency- Possible Targets

ARTMONK HOF

14 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Not reworking the Wentz contract leaves them with no money to sign anyone decent. 
RR says he’s behind CW 100% but not enough to spread out his cap hit. Hedging his bets. 

That’s coach speak. The fact that Wentz doesn’t have a reworked contract says all we need to know about it

• Like 2

I'm not worried about Wentz's contract. He's signed through next yr.

If he plays well this yr? We can rework his deal.

If he plays bad, we can cut him at the end of the season, with no cap hit.

Besides, we should be getting some more cap after June 1st. Right?

And if/when we rework Scary Terry's contract, that should creat some more space for this yr as well.

We can sign players. They're just being frugal with what we have right now.

Plus, we're also probably waiting for June 1st cuts from other teams.

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Not reworking the Wentz contract leaves them with no money to sign anyone decent. 
RR says he’s behind CW 100% but not enough to spread out his cap hit. Hedging his bets. 

I still think AJ Klein is going to be the LB they sign & maybe a cheap younger LB. AJ Klein is an upgrade over Mayo. Then sign another 240 pound MLB/SLB type to back up Klein at SLB to be a back up like Mayo.

14 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm not worried about Wentz's contract. He's signed through next yr.

If he plays well this yr? We can rework his deal.

If he plays bad, we can cut him at the end of the season, with no cap hit.

Besides, we should be getting some more cap after June 1st. Right?

And if/when we rework Scary Terry's contract, that should creat some more space for this yr as well.

We can sign players. They're just being frugal with what we have right now.

Plus, we're also probably waiting for June 1st cuts from other teams.

They aren’t waiting for anything. They just aren’t signing anyone. They had several opportunities to improve the team yet all they did was replace two starting guards with former Panthers and signed a former Panther for the DL. 

If the team does not improve this year and the draft yet again yields nothing this has to be the end for this regime. You can’t let them hang around so long that you can’t fix the damage being done. The trade for Wentz crippled their ability to do anything but they’re acting as though they didn’t need to do anything after acquiring him. This has been one of the most baffling off-seasons I’ve ever witnessed for this team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

They aren’t waiting for anything. They just aren’t signing anyone. They had several opportunities to improve the team yet all they did was replace two starting guards with former Panthers and signed a former Panther for the DL. 

If the team does not improve this year and the draft yet again yields nothing this has to be the end for this regime. You can’t let them hang around so long that you can’t fix the damage being done. The trade for Wentz crippled their ability to do anything but they’re acting as though they didn’t need to do anything after acquiring him. This has been one of the most baffling off-seasons I’ve ever witnessed for this team. 

Oh, I don't disagree Lavar.

I expected them to be way more aggressive than they were.

With Rivera going into his 3rd yr, you would think there would have been a more aggressive approach knowing he probably needed a more successful season if he was going to be kept around.

Rivera's running this team like he's already won a SB or 2 with us.

Granted, he got us to a division title, but at 7-9…? That can't be a comfort zone....

Then to follow that up with 7-10 season?

Rivera is running this team like he was a QB away from a championship.

Got Wentz & just coasting the rest of the way.

I hope we are just a QB away.... Because if not, you would think his job is on the line next year.

But they need to lock up Terry McLaurin, before I will have any comfort in this team moving forward.

30 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean, QB was the roster's biggest need.  

So wait until Wentz gets released, don't trade for him. What's wrong with that? We see how things have played out, you can't say honestly better options where and still are available oppose to trading for him and then not restructuring his contract. 

18 minutes ago, DCNative said:

So wait until Wentz gets released, don't trade for him. What's wrong with that?

Because that causes all kinds of hypothetical scenarios worse than what we got. What if he simply signed with someone else?  What if he signed with us but the contract was more expensive than what we're paying now?  What if he signed with us but we had to give him a bunch of guaranteed money? 

22 minutes ago, DCNative said:

We see how things have played out, you can't say honestly better options where and still are available oppose to trading for him

Who?  I would take Wentz over Baker Mayfield.  Jimmy G isn't healthy and I'd rather have Wentz there as well.  The draft was abysmal at QB. 

23 minutes ago, DCNative said:

and then not restructuring his contract

Which allows us to move on from Wentz completely debt free after this season if he doesn't work out.  That alone was worth the trade. 

46 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because that causes all kinds of hypothetical scenarios worse than what we got. What if he simply signed with someone else?  What if he signed with us but the contract was more expensive than what we're paying now?  What if he signed with us but we had to give him a bunch of guaranteed money? 

Who?  I would take Wentz over Baker Mayfield.  Jimmy G isn't healthy and I'd rather have Wentz there as well.  The draft was abysmal at QB. 

Which allows us to move on from Wentz completely debt free after this season if he doesn't work out.  That alone was worth the trade. 

So you agree Wentz is the one player we needed to get to the SuperBowl this year? You agree with Rivera mindset? If not, your for sure supporting it.

Edited by DCNative

1 hour ago, DCNative said:

So you agree Wentz is the one player we needed to get to the SuperBowl this year? You agree with Rivera mindset? If not, your for sure supporting it.

I agree that we have a better chance with Wentz than with Baker Mayfield and one or two more FA signings.  Ya. 

3 hours ago, DCNative said:

So wait until Wentz gets released, don't trade for him. What's wrong with that? We see how things have played out, you can't say honestly better options where and still are available oppose to trading for him and then not restructuring his contract. 

What if he doesn’t sign with us then