Calvin Ridley suspended indefinitely for gambling

CBears019

You can argue that the punishment doesn't fit the crime while also acknowledging that he knowingly broke NFL's rules against betting on games, something that is WIDELY known to be against rules.

That being said, even if he's not technically with the team my bet (heh) is that he still had insider knowledge about what's happening with the team (who's playing, who's not). It's not like this guy was completely disconnected from every player/coach there. So the fact that people are still somehow okay with him betting on the Falcons kinda blows my mind.

Then he comes out and says he doesn't have a problem cuz he only bet $1,500? My dude, you make MILLIONS each year. Why are you betting at all?!?!?

What a clown.

• Like 3

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Then he comes out and says he doesn't have a problem cuz he only bet $1,500? My dude, you make MILLIONS each year. Why are you betting at all?!?!?

What a clown.

As a gambler it's the thrill of the chase for me, not about the money tbh. No one really wins more than 57% of their bets. Not making a living or killing off of it. 

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

In another sport one of the greatest baseball players of all time got a lifetime ban and at the time most people didn’t think he was fixing games or betting against his team 

33 years ago, before the rise of internet gambling. 

Soccer is a better example here. Guys who get caught after betting on hundreds of games get 8 - 10 game bans. 

The bookie who took his bet should be held accountable here as well. They have a duty of care to the rules too and the rep that he’d inevitably have been assigned should have cancelled his bet and reminded him of the rules.

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

This looks better than the assumptions I laid out, but it’s still not the best look for the guy.

An NFL player betting on his team is akin to an executive inside trading stock, IMO. There is perceived advantages - whether or not their actual advantages to be had.

• Like 3