Aidan Hutchinson Going #1-Worst Case Scenario for the Lions?

Just Want A Title

3 hours ago, LionArkie said:

One can always dream.

There are a lot of teams that need OL help. The Lions won't get the massive package that teams picking #2 get when there's a potential franchise QB there, but they should still be in position to pick up some valuable picks. I could see the Jets and Giants both making offers. 

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

There are a lot of teams that need OL help. The Lions won't get the massive package that teams picking #2 get when there's a potential franchise QB there, but they should still be in position to pick up some valuable picks. I could see the Jets and Giants both making offers. 

It would take the Jags to take an O-Lineman at #1 and teams being worried about Houston taking another one at #3 for them to move up.  I could see the Washington Commanders trading up with the Lions to get an an OT prospect to anchor their O-Line.

13 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It would take the Jags to take an O-Lineman at #1 and teams being worried about Houston taking another one at #3 for them to move up.  I could see the Washington Commanders trading up with the Lions to get an an OT prospect to anchor their O-Line.

That assumes teams consider the top OTs fungible. As we know, teams often have different ratings on different OTs. If a team thinks Ikem Ekwonu or Evan Neal is an elite OT prospect and the others aren't in the same class, they'll be willing to move up to get that guy. The good news is that the Texans, Jets, and Giants are all plausible threats to take an OL.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

That assumes teams consider the top OTs fungible. As we know, teams often have different ratings on different OTs. If a team thinks Ikem Ekwonu or Evan Neal is an elite OT prospect and the others aren't in the same class, they'll be willing to move up to get that guy. The good news is that the Texans, Jets, and Giants are all plausible threats to take an OL.

As far as the Jets and Giants trading up, they are both rebuilding and will probably need all of the draft picks they have accumulated.  I don't see them giving up draft picks this year.

42 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

As far as the Jets and Giants trading up, they are both rebuilding and will probably need all of the draft picks they have accumulated.  I don't see them giving up draft picks this year.

If Hutch goes first and someone wants their first pick of the OT's, I would drop down to 4 or 5 relatively cheap.  Give me a second round pick this year or next and its done.  Then we take Hamilton, Walker, or Kayvon there which is easier to stomach if we get an extra second for it.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If Hutch goes first and someone wants their first pick of the OT's, I would drop down to 4 or 5 relatively cheap.  Give me a second round pick this year or next and its done.  Then we take Hamilton, Walker, or Kayvon there which is easier to stomach if we get an extra second for it.  

Speaking of which, I just saw this mock. This would be the best possible outcome.

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2022-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-steelers-nab-kenny-pickett-travon-walker-

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That would be nice.  And maybe a Nakobe Dean in the second. 

Check out Carolina's draft picks, or lack of therein.  What are they going to use to move up?  After #6 in the first round, they don't select again until the 4th round.  From where I sit Atlanta and Washington are teams that might be willing to trade up if the cost isn't steep.  Seattle might make a splash trade but they are in a tear-down/rebuild situation also.  I suspect the most-likely trade-down spot would be from #32.  

https://gbnreport.com/2022-picks-by-team/

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022-nfl-draft-picks-by-team/

Edited by Just Want A Title

22 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

The key thing is - what motivates you? Is it getting paid or is it winning championships? Are you going to be coming to the facility and putting in the extra work or relying on freakish genetics to slide by? From what we've heard, KT is a freak athlete however his numbers actually match up with guys like Nik Bonitto. If he performed like Barno out of Virginia Tech then maybe you take the risk and hope you can corral him to keep him going. 

I'm with Sllim on Hutch's mindset and his athleticism overall isn't something to scoff at either. 

We only saw his bench and 40.  If his 3 cone and short shuttle are similar to Hutch -whoa.  But I do think you make a good point.  Yes it's not Barno level (that was crazy) but when you watch Kayvon play the way he wins is impressive, and that is a combination of skill and talent that is next level.  I agree about Hutch and I'm really starting to lean towards him being my #1 guy but I think Thibodeaux is going to be good and I don't think he will be a distraction.  Now if there's another issue similar to the combine I might change my mind....

19 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think the most obvious option is trading down. Somebody will want the top OT. 

If they could trade down and come up with London or Wilson and Jermaine Johnson I would be very excited. Others will have their ideas but two really good mid round picks would be fantastic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

We only saw his bench and 40.  If his 3 cone and short shuttle are similar to Hutch -whoa.  But I do think you make a good point.  Yes it's not Barno level (that was crazy) but when you watch Kayvon play the way he wins is impressive, and that is a combination of skill and talent that is next level.  I agree about Hutch and I'm really starting to lean towards him being my #1 guy but I think Thibodeaux is going to be good and I don't think he will be a distraction.  Now if there's another issue similar to the combine I might change my mind....

My outlook is that if the Lions draft KT I will be excited. Both Sewell brothers know him so the Lions should be able to confirm or dismiss any perceived issues.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Millenhater said:

My point being is that he's a really good athlete but he's not the super freak (from what we can use to measure) that some other guys might be (compared to what I thought). Then throw in the concerns about him taking plays off, saying he's "going to do everything" at the combine and then walks off, etc. There are guys who should be much better pros based on skillset but they lack that drive/motivation. The NFL isn't the PAC-12. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

My point being is that he's a really good athlete but he's not the super freak (from what we can use to measure) that some other guys might be (compared to what I thought). Then throw in the concerns about him taking plays off, saying he's "going to do everything" at the combine and then walks off, etc. There are guys who should be much better pros based on skillset but they lack that drive/motivation. The NFL isn't the PAC-12. 

This.  Every player drafted in the first round, especially top 10 is there because they had stats in college, played well in college, and have the athleticism that matches those numbers.  Translating it to the NFL is all about mentality and drive.  You can have all of the talent in the world but if you dont put the time in to watch tape or do a little extra, its easy to flame out because at the NFL level, everyone is an amazing athlete and really strong and well coached.  KT's talent is deserving of the #1 pick but his mindset/attitude/mentality makes it risky. 

I saw that Jordan Davis and Devonte Wyatt finished their DT drills and then waited around for a couple hours to cheer on Walker and support him. That shows that the team and working together is important.  Kayvon showed that he is all about himself and he doesnt want to be inconvenienced.  And it isn't the first time.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I saw that Jordan Davis and Devonte Wyatt finished their DT drills and then waited around for a couple hours to cheer on Walker and support him. That shows that the team and working together is important.  Kayvon showed that he is all about himself and he doesnt want to be inconvenienced.  And it isn't the first time.  

I did not hear about that but that is pretty awesome.