Landon Collins getting released

MikeT14

Honestly, I’m a Landon Collins fan, but I’m okay with this.

Collins was a much better WLB than Jamin Davis was last season, and probably much better than he’ll be this year too. But that kid needs time to play and an opportunity to see the field in that simplified role. If things click for him, they’ll have a very impactful defender under contract for a very affordable rate for several years.

Keeping Collins — and blocking Davis — would have allowed them to field the best possible defense this season. But they made a major investment in Davis, because they believed in the traits and the character, and they should give that a real chance to succeed. Letting Collins go frees up those snaps for Davis and frees up a lot of cap space to invest in a true MLB or a FS, and in that way could actually help us address two positions longer-term. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Ended up being a bad marriage I suppose but at the same time it’s sad we’re having to purge the roster because of a terrible trade. 

Cutting one guy that honestly most of us thought was going to be cut anyway isn't bad so far (this was happening regardless of the Wentz move and Everett is probably next). If we start taking out guys like Ioannidis, Flowers, or Schweitzer, then we know there's a problem. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Cutting one guy that honestly most of us thought was going to be cut anyway isn't bad so far (this was happening regardless of the Wentz move and Everett is probably next). If we start taking out guys like Ioannidis, Flowers, or Schweitzer, then we know there's a problem. 

My guess is that's what's coming.

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is an unfortunate end to an unfortunate tenure. I liked Landon, but he was a huge liability in coverage and missed too many tackles. 

Kam Curl makes this move easier. 

Bostic needs to go now too. 

He's already a FA