2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

24 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I read a rumor somewhere that the Jets were willing to offer up 10 overall for DK, but the Seahawks shut them down before it got to a formal offer was submitted. Deebo is coming off an All-Pro season and is younger than Davante and Tyreek.

I would start with #10, #35, and ask for a future pick personally: If they scoff at it, then so be it, we do not need to trade him. The facts are that he is an All-Pro player just now entering his prime and there is no guarantee that either of the picks I mentioned will even turn out to be role players at this point. 

All that being said, I am not trading Deebo unless he has simply priced himself off of our team or the haul is just to insane to pass up. To me in terms of importance Bosa is higher on the list than anyone on our team outside of the quarterback, so if it comes down to picking between Bosa & Samuel, then I'm trading Samuel all day long. 

EDIT: I also think it's kind of stupid and childish to clear your social media stuff when you want a new contract, but this is the world we live in. 

I just don't know how realistic 10 is, much less 10+, mainly because you just don't see those type of assets get moved for receivers. 

Hill (upcoming age 28)- Pick 29 + 2nd + a bunch of other

Adams (upcoming age 30 season) - Pick 22 + Pick 50 or whatever. 

Diggs (heading into age 27)- Pick 22 + a bunch of other middling stuff. 

Hopkins - 2nd round pick + decrepit DJ with a terrible contract

And here is the one that is probably the kicker to value:

OBJ (age 26, heading into 27, I believe) - #17, Jabril Peppers, future third. OBJ was a ROY, 2 time second team all pro at this point already.  

Amari Cooper (age 24) - #27

Brandin Cooks (three times LOL) - pick #32 the first time, pick #23 and hten a second rounder. His ages were 24 & 25 when he was moved for the first round picks. 

I just can't remember the last time a team gave up a top ten pick for a receiver, let alone more than that. 

If the team is really going to trade him because there isn't a long term future there I think the return is going to be much lower than that (perhaps Deebo wants his deal now and he wants big money based on last year and the niners are basically saying, you're taking what we are offering and if you want top of the market you can play on your current deal and we will revisit this next season...a stance that I dont think is uncalled for by either party, tbh)

8 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'd love to keep Deebo. If not, then I'd want a 2022 second & 2023 first for him. Preferably another mid rounder and/or a WR in return like Corey Davis or Denzel Mims 

I like that idea as opposed to the two seconds this year. I feel like the Jets may want provisions on that though...that could be a really, really high pick if Wilson is terrible lol 

Just now, Forge said:

I just don't know how realistic 10 is, much less 10+, mainly because you just don't see those type of assets get moved for receivers. 

OBJ (age 26, heading into 27, I believe) - #17, Jabril Peppers, future third. OBJ was a ROY, 2 time second team all pro at this point already.  

Brandin Cooks (three times LOL) - pick #32 the first time, pick #23 and hten a second rounder. His ages were 24 & 25. 

I just can't remember the last time a team gave up a top ten pick for a receiver, let alone more than that. 

If the team is really going to trade him because there isn't a long term future there I think the return is going to be much lower than that (perhaps Deebo wants his deal now and he wants big money based on last year and the niners are basically saying, you're taking what we are offering and if you want top of the market you can play on your current deal and we will revisit this next season...a stance that I dont think is uncalled for by either party, tbh)

It all depends on how desperate a team is ….it looks like the Jets could be a desperate team.

Honestly, the social media tantrum has me a little bummed with regard to Deebo. He was all pro but he's basically had one season where he's been able to stay healthy. They made the mistake of cashing in a little too early on Jimmy, not to mention Dee Ford, etc. 

If offered anything in the top 15 to maybe top 20 plus some pocket change, you take it and run in my opinion.

Edited by gridirongorilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm going to laugh when Jennings gets extended before Deebo. 

This would be funny, but it would be the dumbest thing to extend Jennings at this point. 

Also, I find it weird that Jennings can extend before completing his third year just because he got cut at one point lol 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

This would be funny, but it would be the dumbest thing to extend Jennings at this point. 

Also, I find it weird that Jennings can extend before completing his third year just because he got cut at one point lol 

Sometimes it's a benefit to be drafted late/UDFA. Lol

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

Brandin Cooks (three times LOL) - pick #32 the first time, pick #23 and hten a second rounder. His ages were 24 & 25 when he was moved for the first round picks. 

Well it's kind of like I said in my post, we don't have to trade him and I would hold out for a stacked package if we do decide to move him. The only way I see us moving him is if he has priced himself off our team or we get an insane package or some combo of both. We could hold on to him and he could hold out and all that business and we could franchise him the next year too if we really wanted to; he really has no ground to stand on when it comes to him being under team control. Getting into a big contract dispute doesn't really seem like the way our FO likes to do business though. 

Just because we haven't seen a package like that for a receiver doesn't it mean it can't happen. Deebo is far more valuable than your typical receiver imo; a person can't just roll coverage to him to try and neutralize him, because you can just start getting him involved out of the backfield or on screens. 

Personally I think if we do decide to trade him, we need to milk every bit of value out of him that we can. It's hard to say what teams will and won't do when they truly value a player. I thought the Jets getting what they got back for Jamal Adams was pretty crazy when it happened. 

• Like 4

I feel like this is a big overreaction. This is a pretty normal thing to do when your negotiating for a new contract. I've seen it happen already a few times this off-season alone. It gives Deebo more leverage because fans are going to be more outspoken when this sort of thing happens. I would be incredibly surprised if Deebo is actually thinking about leaving the team.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Geek said:

I feel like this is a big overreaction. This is a pretty normal thing to do when your negotiating for a new contract. I've seen it happen already a few times this off-season alone. It gives Deebo more leverage because fans are going to be more outspoken when this sort of thing happens. I would be incredibly surprised if Deebo is actually thinking about leaving the team.

I agree with this. I think we eventually agree to a long term deal and this was all for naught, but it is fun to talk about potential trade packages and what people think we could squeeze out of it. 

30 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Well it's kind of like I said in my post, we don't have to trade him and I would hold out for a stacked package if we do decide to move him. The only way I see us moving him is if he has priced himself off our team or we get an insane package or some combo of both. We could hold on to him and he could hold out and all that business and we could franchise him the next year too if we really wanted to; he really has no ground to stand on when it comes to him being under team control. Getting into a big contract dispute doesn't really seem like the way our FO likes to do business though. 

The bolded is why I think Deebo does have some leverage. I think you're right that they don't want a dispute, and I don't think that they want to be known a team that is like, "tough...you're taking what we will give or we will just tag you twice". I think this FO likes being a players FO, so to speak. If they reach an impasse, I feel pretty good in the belief that they will ultimately tell Deebo and his agent to go find a deal that works for them from another team and work out a trade. 

Deebo's leverage is ostensibly that he can make himself a distraction and make a big stink and nobody wants that around. That's why the malcontents always get traded if they aren't going to get what they want....and people want to say it impacts their value, but lets be real, it almost never does unless they are truly AB level off the reservation. 

11 minutes ago, Geek said:

It's like I said to Lombardi...guys have used this tactic to display unhappiness in the past. Sometimes they were traded, sometimes it all blew over and a new deal was signed and everyone was kumbaya about it. 

Him doing this does not 100% guarantee a course of action, but it's also not completely meaningless either. That's what makes it fun to talk about. Could be a negotiating tactic....could legit be he's completely fed up with the negotiations (I would find the latter weird given that I didn't expect anything signed until july or so....would be super early in the negotiations to be fed up already lol) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

The bolded is why I think Deebo does have some leverage. I think you're right that they don't want a dispute, and I don't think that they want to be known a team that is like, "tough...you're taking what we will give or we will just tag you twice". I think this FO likes being a players FO, so to speak. If they reach an impasse, I feel pretty good in the belief that they will ultimately tell Deebo and his agent to go find a deal that works for them from another team and work out a trade. 

It's a weird and very fine line that we have to toe with this stuff too though. Obviously the culture in our building is great and a ton of players have attested to it, but we also can't become a team that players know that they can easily force their way off of if they want to. I don't see a lot of players trying to force their way out as these situations will almost always be about money, but we have to try and find that balance between player friendly and having a spine as well. 

• Like 3

Tbh I don't think the 49ers can afford Deebo to hold in and miss time with Lance. He probably will miss OTAs but my guess is they get Deebo done before training camp.  Might be smart to make a public deal about it right now as like you guys have said 49ers don't want to get into a contract dispute especially publicly. 

• Like 1