2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

This DL situation has some last year ILB vibes to it. They may think they have enough bodies they like at this moment to get to camp and see how guys progressed. Then see what vets shake free based on what they believe they need a la Schobert last year. 

Just....hopefully that person would be better than Schobert...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

This DL situation has some last year ILB vibes to it. They may think they have enough bodies they like at this moment to get to camp and see how guys progressed. Then see what vets shake free based on what they believe they need a la Schobert last year. 

Just....hopefully that person would be better than Schobert...

I think Schobert MAYBE would have been more servicable with a better player next to him....and the same for Devin Bush.

Both of those guys are nothing more than support players that need plenty of talent around them to cover up flaws.    They arent anchors or building blocks.    

Myles Jack is closer to what we need, but I think Bobby Wagner wouldve been a better signing for us.   More instinctive and an on field leader.    

As far as DL....I 100% believe we sign or even trade for another DL before the regular season.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, warfelg said:

Think of it this way though. If Tuitt is in that mix both Davis bros are gone.

No doubt. Probably on the expanded PS again though. 

Adams is iffy.

I liked what I saw of Adams last year. I think that he did well considering when he was brought in and what he was asked to do. I think he was the second best defensive agent addition via trade or free agency on defense outside of Okello Witherspoon. 

He is no Tuitt, but I don't think he is a slouch either. He could be a solid rotational piece. I think he would have made the team with or without Tuitt. 

Maybe Wormley becomes a trade candidate. Get a vet now in that mix and nothing changes.

I don't see Wormley going anywhere in any scenario. He is not starter material, but a better than average role player. He was asked to play far too much and do more than he is capable of doing. He is a role player and he is ideally suited for a role. He can spell the DL for a few plays or a series or two, but when team scan scheme with him as a starter, his impact diminishes greatly. That is with most any role player though. he may be a C or C+ talent, but he gave at times A- and B work. He also most definitely was a D & F grade as well in the run stuffing game. That is not his strength or best role either.  Yet he was forced to play it. I continue to say get a true 2 down run stuffing NG to flex into the defense on those downs and short yardage. 

Take the vet out and Adams makes it, Wormley won’t be traded, and one of the Davis bros make it maybe. 

I agree and that is the scenario that I see. This is all provided that they see something from Loudermilk. I think he is more the key component to potentially fill Tuitt's role than any other player on the roster. The rest are more role players. I see them doing other things to supplement the DL. Losing Tyson and Tuitt last year put a hurting on the entire defense. 

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

That’s potentially pretty exciting

yeah. I'm expecting a ton of motion, PA, WR sweeps etc... we saw a little bit of it in the preseason and early part of the season last yr but it went away. I can see us leading the NFL in pre-snap motion and PA. Night and day from a few yrs ago

• Like 2

20 hours ago, August4th said:

I do not think Najee is a wide-zone type of RB.  I think there will be a lot of pain in the running game.

RB who excel in zone schemes have vision and patience and great one cut ability.  Najee's style has been more of the power running of see the hole and move at it in a north-south power run.  Perhaps he will surprise me.

Edited by jebrick

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I do not think Najee is a wide-zone type of RB.  I think there will be a lot of pain in the running game.

RB who excel in zone schemes have vision and patience and great one cut ability.  Najee's style has been more of the power running of see the hole and move at it in a north-south power run.  Perhaps he will surprise me.

Najee killed it running wide-zone at Bama and he has the lateral agility required. The question is will his vision be improved enough to excel at it at the NFL level. His poor vision held him back a lot last year but apparently he worked hard to improve it during the offseason. 

On 6/7/2022 at 12:40 PM, Steeler Hitman said:

I agree and that is the scenario that I see. This is all provided that they see something from Loudermilk. I think he is more the key component to potentially fill Tuitt's role than any other player on the roster. The rest are more role players. I see them doing other things to supplement the DL. Losing Tyson and Tuitt last year put a hurting on the entire defense. 

Loudermilk will never be a passrusher.  He does not have the jump that Tuitt did.  At best he will be a poor man's Aaron Smith vs the run with occasional sacks. 

• Like 1