2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

20 minutes ago, warfelg said:
EDIT:: DJ Chark just got 1 year $10mil fully guaranteed from the Lions.  Peace Juju cuz you are worth more than Chark.

Idk about all that. Chark is an outside WR and *profiles* as a WR1 if he reaches his full potential and can stay healthy. Juju has proven that he’s neither of those two things. 

I actually love that signing for the Lions. 

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

Was just about to post something similar in here, I think Tyrann would be a great fit as long as it’s not a monster deal.

I wonder why the Chiefs didn’t make an offer to him though, makes you kind of scratch your head. 

Give me Tyrann>Whitehead>Edmonds

Reid fits a little more what Spags wants.  Someone who's a true CF safety.  Matheau still played at a very high level so it's not like he's slipping.  I think the type of player Matheau is requires a guy like Minkah, who can primarily play the CF FS type role, but can do other things as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Idk about all that. Chark is an outside WR and *profiles* as a WR1 if he reaches his full potential and can stay healthy. Juju has proven that he’s neither of those two things. 

I actually love that signing for the Lions. 

Juju still plays really well on the outside.  And heck, Juju doesn't even need a true #1 with him, he just needs a legit downfield threat across from him to pull the lid up.  The issue since AB departed is we haven't had that guy who can either space the field vertically or the guy who tilts coverage.  Add in the issues that Ben caused the passing game with the dink and dunk and it made a few guys look like something they aren't.  I think we're going to see Muth stretch the field up the seam more this year, Claypool used as a vertical inside threat; only one I don't see changing is DJ dropping so many passes.

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

JuJu looks good outside on back shoulder passes. He's not going to get good separation, but if you've got a QB with some zip and accuracy, JuJu will do well outside. 

He's good with contested catches, he's a good route runner, good body control, natural hands catcher.

Problem is we have two of him (good outside, natural inside) on the roster with him and Claypool.  We really screwed up by not using Washington on the outside as the 3rd WR and bumping Juju inside as a result.

I really think the Eagles make a play for Juju and draft someone as well.  If they use a 1st on Chris Olave and play him on the outside but as the 3rd WR; so Smith and Juju start, but Juju turns into a slot when Olave is in.  You would see Juju turn into rookie year Juju really fast.

Seems as though Dave/SD thinking very much along the same line as me:

Edited by warfelg

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

You would also save nearly $7M. And the cap floor is expected to *start* at the mid $220’s and with the TV money could be $230+. This years number is still depressed because of the pandemic crunch. 

It’s not a big deal.

This…

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I just vomitted... a lot.

Incoming excuse of "out after one year", "COVID still depressing cap", and "others will sign for more".

Since when have we used those outs?  How long does this COVID excuse last?  Who cares if others sign for more, Okorafor wasn't that good.

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Incoming excuse of "out after one year", "COVID still depressing cap", and "others will sign for more".

Since when have we used those outs?  How long does this COVID excuse last?  Who cares if others sign for more, Okorafor wasn't that good.

A couple people in here already used those excuses. Nothing annoys me more than ppl who act like their opinion is the only valid opinion, that you have to be optimistic and at peace with stupid spending and mediocrity. It's a major reason I no longer listen to the Terrible Podcast, Dave is infamous for thst crap and so are some of the posters on this forum.

It doesn't matter how you slice it, that Chuks contract is terrible, he hasn't earned it imo. But we are gonna over pay him because, well at this point I think their pro scouting dept is a joke.

I wasn't expecting us to come out of the gate with some blockbuster signing. I did expect them to act like they realize they're in league with 31 other teams and a division with 3 teams that are vastly better than them right now.

It's hard to look at the AFC and argue that on paper we aren't the worst team in it, or at least bottom 3.

13 minutes ago, AFF said:

This…

So ok, let's say you are fine with this deal; consider this:

Why not front load it?

We've come out of years of backloading deals and constantly working up against the cap and losing players.  KC has said this is his end, and someone new will be running the team next year.  Even if you want this to be a 'glorified' one year deal, why not help your predecessor.  There's the space (especially if you cut Banner and Schobert, restructure TJ Watt) to have that $13mil hit this year.  That way when the new GM comes in there's additional space there, or his hit is minimal for less to be cut if you chose to move on from him.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

you have to be optimistic and at peace with stupid spending and mediocrity. It's a major reason I no longer listen to the Terrible Podcast, Dave is infamous for thst crap and so are some of the posters on this forum.

Listen back about 4 years ago....Dave's not at peace with it, just just resolved to this is the way that the Steelers do business and has admitted a few times he doesn't agree with it.

Just now, warfelg said:

So ok, let's say you are fine with this deal; consider this:

Why not front load it?

We've come out of years of backloading deals and constantly working up against the cap and losing players.  KC has said this is his end, and someone new will be running the team next year.  Even if you want this to be a 'glorified' one year deal, why not help your predecessor.  There's the space (especially if you cut Banner and Schobert, restructure TJ Watt) to have that $13mil hit this year.  That way when the new GM comes in there's additional space there, or his hit is minimal for less to be cut if you chose to move on from him.

Future years cap is a really stupid reason in my opinion to be OK with this deal. It's kind of what you are already saying, Future years cap is what makes this deal even worse. We are paying an offensive tackle l More than we've paid any tackle in steelers history He is probably one of the worst starting tackles in the NFL. If you were gonna give him this contact you should have let him walk and let banner have a chance and yet for whatever reason they still haven't cut players who deserve to be cut. It doesn't matter how much icing you put on that cake  If you didn't make it it still gonna taste like crap