2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

16 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't sign him as an Edge but I could be wrong .

Who knows? I’ve never seen him, so I don’t know where he’s played. Depth move is my guess. Maybe a situational rusher or a an inside thumper to push Buddy? Idk But He is a stocky shorter guy kinda like Melvin Ingram I think. Could potentially do some twists and stunts with him and Highsmith they have such different body types. 1 year deal is kinda weird

Edited by SMashMouthMike

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

But in reality there's still a bunch of issues out there if you ask me that Tomlin and Colbert comments gloss over.  They may feel comfortable with the WR room without adding more and lays the impression that Ben was the issue or they think it was fine.  I think it's still got a bunch of crap wrong with it.  They say they feel comfortable with the starters at CB (through the we don't feel the need to add more players) but Wallace has always played with a stud CB across from him and Witherspoon has been quite up and down in his career.  I feel the same way about the ILB spot.

I'm not as concerned about where those positions are. Some of that I just think is talk rather than being nitpicky in an interview (much of what I am ultimately hoping the Tuitt thing is). Like WR is just a drunk market right now. At this point it's just smarter to wait until the draft and see if you can get a younger, most likely more talented, player at 1/8th the cost. I wouldn't touch ILB anymore unless it's in the draft at this point and I actually like the CB room the way it is pre-draft.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

But the not having clarity in the Tuitt situation and not doing something like going out and getting Akeem Hicks seems like a dangerous play to me.  We saw how much worse the front line was without Tuitt and Alualu.  And not doing anything to improve that room scares me.  I think you get a guy like Hicks, and if Tuitt is playing, awesome you got an incredibly deep position room.  And if Tuitt isn't playing you got a starter and backups are playing backup roles.

I am not sure I would have brought Hicks in if Tuitt might come back (thinking it's a Ingram issue all over again), but I definitely would have done it if I had any questions of whether ST might be having second thoughts. It just goes to the saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".  If there was ANY doubt headed into FA about his decision, I am not sure how you don't release him or ask him to retire -- whichever was his preference. You cannot go through losing that type of piece again randomly. 

They could ultimately have already gotten confirmation that he will be playing -- they don't have to tell us anything. KC's comments could just be trying to protect Tuitt and not pressure him publicly with his decision. They could have already marked a handful of players in the first 2 days of the draft to replace him.  

Colbert's comments just definitely caught me off guard. Sitting back and letting that decision come to you would be an odd choice after seeing how it played out last year....but I also ultimately don't know that that is what's going on. 

Steelers have quietly done a great job in free agency.

James Daniels potential starting OG or C, good player who plays with a good base

Levi Wallace potential starting CB

Genard Avery versatile ILB or OLB who has athletic ability and power

Myles Jack outstanding LB who can play inside and outside and has solid coverage skills.  

Mason Cole, solid backup center who could be the starter and might even be better at OG

Mitchell Trubisky potential starting QB who is motivated to improve

Gunner Olszewski is a great punt return man with potential as a 4th or 5th WR

Not amazing signings but all fill a need and are pretty reasonably priced.  The OL is absolutely improved especially at C and OG and the ILB might be improved as well.  Will be interesting what they do with QB, sure they would love Willis to fall to them but doubt that happens, curious if they draft a QB when you have Rudolph, signed Trubisky and resigned Dwayne Haskins

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Steelers have quietly done a great job in free agency.

James Daniels potential starting OG or C, good player who plays with a good base

Levi Wallace potential starting CB

Genard Avery versatile ILB or OLB who has athletic ability and power

Myles Jack outstanding LB who can play inside and outside and has solid coverage skills.  

Mason Cole, solid backup center who could be the starter and might even be better at OG

Mitchell Trubisky potential starting QB who is motivated to improve

Gunner Olszewski is a great punt return man with potential as a 4th or 5th WR

Not amazing signings but all fill a need and are pretty reasonably priced.  The OL is absolutely improved especially at C and OG and the ILB might be improved as well.  Will be interesting what they do with QB, sure they would love Willis to fall to them but doubt that happens, curious if they draft a QB when you have Rudolph, signed Trubisky and resigned Dwayne Haskins

An underrated part of these signings is the low year 1 cap hit coupled without huge dead $$$ cap hits if they don’t work out and decide to go In another direction in 2023. 

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'm seeing a lot of smoke that Kyle Hamilton will drop a lot further than anyone could expect.  I honestly would pick him at 20 if he somehow fell to there.

Safeties are under valued in the draft plus there are a lot of Edge and and Cbs that are over valued.  I can easily see him dropping into the teens.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I'm seeing a lot of smoke that Kyle Hamilton will drop a lot further than anyone could expect.  I honestly would pick him at 20 if he somehow fell to there.

I would give up next years 1st to trade up for him if he falls to 10. He’s a legit “generational” talent. The fit with Minkah isn’t exactly perfect but both players are so versatile that they would make it work.

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I would give up next years 1st to trade up for him if he falls to 10. He’s a legit “generational” talent. The fit with Minkah isn’t exactly perfect but both players are so versatile that they would make it work.

Disgusted Jim Carrey GIF

I disagree he is a generational talent. 

And with our needs, spending two firsts on ANY unproven rookie that is not QB is a pretty bad idea.  This would actually be worse than trading a future 1st for Malik Willis.

On the bright side... @Dcash4, here is a situation where Id rather trade this years first for a 1st next year, straight up.  :D

• Like 2

For the record I would not move up with anyone for Kyle Hamilton outside of 2-3 spots. However I feel 100% he’s one of those guys where the workouts and tape isn’t jiving and the workout is more of a FO speak to justify pleasing on him when really they don’t value that role. 

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I disagree he is a generational talent. 

We can agree to disagree then. I encourage you to watch the ND/FSU game from last year. Having Hamilton on the field is like having a 12th man on defense because he is so instinctive and covers so much field so quickly. There’s a reason he’s mocked as high as #3 to the Texans until his slow 40 (which makes no sense to me considering how rangy he is and how fast he looks on tape).

Him and Minkah together would be a cheat code. I can understand not wanting to give up 2 1sts because of the situation we’re in but Hamilton is definitely worth it.

27 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

We can agree to disagree then. I encourage you to watch the ND/FSU game from last year. Having Hamilton on the field is like having a 12th man on defense because he is so instinctive and covers so much field so quickly. There’s a reason he’s mocked as high as #3 to the Texans until his slow 40 (which makes no sense to me considering how rangy he is and how fast he looks on tape).

Him and Minkah together would be a cheat code. I can understand not wanting to give up 2 1sts because of the situation we’re in but Hamilton is definitely worth it.

I like Hamilton.   I wouldn't mind him at 20 at all.   Not sure Id trade away more than maybe a future 3rd to move up for him though.

Terms like "Generational talent" and "elite" get tossed around too loosely on here.  I dont agree he is quite that good.   I dont believe he is a slam dunk at all.   He reminds me of a more polished, smarter but less athletic Taylor Mays.   In the NFL, he may not be kind of a tweener with no set in stone position. 

Could still be an elite defender, but I wouldnt bet two first rounders on it.

Ok, throwing a little Wednesday morning mock at yall via PFF:

20th OVERALL :: I've got quite a bit of interesting options in front of me. I have calls from GB, Chi, Min, NO, LAC.  There's a guy I want that will last the few picks to 22 that GB is throwing on the table.  Might even be there at 28.  So I package together something at 28.  Hey it's been an unconventional offseason so why not embrace that with this pick.

Trade got accepted:

PITT OUT: 20

GB OUT: 28, 92, 140, 171, 2023 4th

28th OVERALL :: Well that backfired on me.  Treylon Burks who I was targeting went at 21 to New England.  However there's a silver lining to this, a guy I expected to be done by now is still on the board.

Kaiir Elam CB Florida

It was down to Elam and Booth.  Booth was targeted enough and despite the skills, he had troubles in the ACC while Elam was penalized enough but he shut down guys in the SEC.  That tipped my scales, as Elam is more battle tested.

52nd OVERALL :: So I'm worried about falling in the same trap as NE, Arizona, Cincinnati, and Carolina calls.  Yes, I'm about to go deeper than I should.  But there's enough WR needy teams.  I pass up Bonitto, Asamoah, Muma, Harris and I dip my toe in the small school pools.

Justyn Ross WR Clemson

Good size at 6'4" and 205 pounds.  I know the knock is that he's failed to be as good as his freshman year.  Reminds me so much of a former Clemson WR we took a shot on in Martavius Bryant.  Tombert showed a lot of interest in him during their pro day visit, so I wouldn't be shocked to see if he's one of our picks.

84th overall :: Not interested in a trade here at all despite the picks not looking great.  Mostly because there's a guy here that I think 100% is on the Steelers board.

Nick Cross S Maryland

Good size at 6'1" and 215 LBS.  Ran a 4.34 in the 40 as well.  Rather than spend a 1st on Cine, spend a 3rd on Cross and get the same impact in the end IMO.  Big and physical enough to be a SS he's got the speed and range to play single high as well.

92nd overall :: Like at 84, I'm not too keen on trading down even though the guy I want to pick can likely be had a little later.  

David Bell WR Purdue

I think some of his draft status is getting hurt by the Purdue QB play.  I'm not concerned by the 40 times of him or Ross, as they both have a good burst to their game, and Bell has shown to be a great hand catcher and has the ability to separate.  In fact, I think Bell can be who we hope DJ can be.

138th overall :: Micah McFadden LB Indiana Going shorter with these explainers, but he's a Vince Williams replacement as he's more of a thumper than coverage guy.

140th overall :: Otito Ogbonnia DL UCLA A quizi Tuitt and Alualu replacement as he's 6'4" and 320 LBS. But more of a run stuffer like Loudermilk.

171st overall :: Zonovan Knight RB North Carolina State Some were at his pro day, and we are in dire need of a better Harris backup.

208th overall :: Adam Anderson ED Georgia

225th overall :: Tyrese Robinson T Oklahoma

241st overall :: Kaleb Eleby QB Western Michigan