2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don’t understand why Cooks never latches on anywhere. He changes teams every year.

He keeps ending up with teams that think he's a WR1, they come to realize he's a Juju type player of a WR1.5 (great WR2, below average WR1), and they decide he's paid too much.

23 hours ago, 43M said:

I agree.   

Id prefer not to, though.

WR room sucks balls.  It needs something.  Right now our 3 WR set would be DJ, Claypool, and Gunner O.  Would be in the running for worst WR group in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

WR room sucks balls.  It needs something.  Right now our 3 WR set would be DJ, Claypool, and Gunner O.  Would be in the running for worst WR group in the NFL.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all to take 2 in the draft including 1 in the first. If Wilson, Olave, or Williams is there I’d be perfectly fine with that. I’d even be fine if they took one in the first 2 rounds, something like Olave and Dotson, based on the fact I think DJ is gone next year when he’s going to want $20M + per year, even though they’ve been good finding later round gems. Need as many weapons as we can get until we find a QB that lifts everyone around him up, and we’ve done a pretty decent job filling holes through FA. 

I hope if we double dip on WR they are not carbon copy guys. I want to see Jameson Williams, Wilson, or Olave and then Justyn Ross or George Pickens. I'm hoping it's not Olave and Dotson. Those guys are too small. I'm fine with one small guy but I'd like a long lean gazelle type too.

If you don’t plan on paying DJ, you better double dip in this years draft…it’s deep enough.

Have to upgrade the weapons for the incoming QB of the future…we desperately need some speed.

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope if we double dip on WR they are not carbon copy guys. I want to see Jameson Williams, Wilson, or Olave and then Justyn Ross or George Pickens. I'm hoping it's not Olave and Dotson. Those guys are too small. I'm fine with one small guy but I'd like a long lean gazelle type too.

There’s a bunch of 5’8”-5’10” guys that would be awesome with Canadas sweep, reverse, and motion runs that I would double dip with after getting any of those guys. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m not sure Ross or Pickens are anything more than a slower Claypool. I wouldn’t be horribly upset for Pickens, but I think the NFL is moving more towards quick, twitchy guys that can gain separation through quickness rather than big physical guys. Ross running a 4.63 make it tough for me to think he’s more than a ST guy/4th WR/RZ threat in the NFL, that’s slower than Muth ran and he’s going to have to win with physicality and precise routes, something I didn’t see a lot of. I’m certainly no talent scout so maybe you see something I can’t, just my view of Ross. 

10 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

I’m not sure Ross or Pickens are anything more than a slower Claypool. I wouldn’t be horribly upset for Pickens, but I think the NFL is moving more towards quick, twitchy guys that can gain separation through quickness rather than big physical guys. Ross running a 4.63 make it tough for me to think he’s more than a ST guy/4th WR/RZ threat in the NFL, that’s slower than Muth ran and he’s going to have to win with physicality and precise routes, something I didn’t see a lot of. I’m certainly no talent scout so maybe you see something I can’t, just my view of Ross. 

I think there's a difference in game speed and track speed. Claypool certainly looks fast running at the combine, but he looks slow on the field. Ross and Pickens play a lot faster. They also are a lot more fluid, in my opinion at least. Claypool is a combat catch guy that stinks at combat catches. I think Pickens and Ross both have way more body control in contested catch situations. Plus, there's no guarantee that Claypool is here for the long haul. He needs to be pushed. 

19 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

I wouldn’t be horribly upset for Pickens, but I think the NFL is moving more towards quick, twitchy guys that can gain separation through quickness rather than big physical guys.

High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

This team needs diversity and the number 1 trait you should look for is being able to separate on your own. Whether that's blazing deep spread or being a high level router runner with quicks and acceleration through cuts...doesn't matter. 

But I think this is a good draft to nab both of those qualities. First two days has a lot of quality projection route runners like Olave, Dotson, Skyy Moore, and Shakir around our picks. Day three has the speed element in guys like Thorton, Melton, and Gray. Those dudes, at worst, profile as ST gunners -- which we are also in need of. 

Something like DJ, Claypool, Dotson/Moore, Anthony Miller*, Melton/Gray would be a nice bit of diversity in the room. 

Edited by Dcash4
Forgot about Gunner. But he is pretty much just a KR/PR....so maybe they would keep 6. I like Anthony Miller. I hope he gets a real chance.

This is either going to be some galaxy brain level GM'ing, or explode in both of their faces. 

Eagles swapped the 16th pick for the 18th and picked up a 3rd for their troubles. And then flipped the 19th on a gamble that the Saints are going to suck and they will have a potential top 10 pick next year vs the 19th this year and took a 2nd rounder as the cost....but not until 2024. 

Saints creating a package to move up for a QB. Eagles have the chips to gamble that 1 of them will be top 10 when looking at a saints schedule that probably has 5-7 wins. 

It's.....interesting. Eagles had the capital this year to risk it on my hypothetical post (and got a little more value).

I like what the Eagles did, although I originally thought it was a second next year instead of 2024. They built draft capital for next year which looks like it’s a more top heavy draft talent while adding the 3rd this year which has good mid tier talent. I also don’t expect much out of the Saints next year and that pick may be a top 6-7 pick, and Eagles will know if Hurts is their guy, plus spreads out their first round contracts. I wish we would do something like this to give us ammo for a top QB next year and stick with Mitch to see what we have.