2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

58 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Under normal circumstances I would agree, I’m just afraid our GM fancies himself going out like Ozzie did in Baltimore 

In honesty, I think the fear that Colbert is going to go off the rails and just make a pick to make a pick is a bunch of bias BS.

I have no doubt when asked if he would like to see the Steelers left with a Franchise QB when he retires that his answer was yes. But just consider the alternative: "No, I don't care. I'll be sipping on a Bloody Mary on a country club in Florida on Sundays". 

I am sure he wants to leave the team with a QB. But it also isn't solely his decision. There's way to much flip flopping on who has control. Good picks are Tomlin guys. Bad ones are Colbert. Listening to people talk that get to be inside the rooms, they said that the Steelers are probably the most collaborative group in football when it comes to picks. 

A Colbert mic drop YOLO pick that goes against everyone in the organization is weird. There's a real possibility that everyone in that organization looks at the need of QB as a desperate situation in a league driven almost solely by QB's.... but it's not going to be a pick because KC wrote down on a post-it "QB no matter what". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I do not see the Steelers trading up. IMO, it would be a big surprise. They have broken many of the "rules" these past few years but they value their picks. I don't see that part changing. 

Reason we traded a 2nd and 3rd for Bush? We got the second pick in the 3rd round on the Brown trade and received a 3rd round pick the following year for Bell. Those "additional" picks essentially nullified the trade cost. 

Reason they traded up for Mason? They received an additional 3rd for the Bryant trade and the 7th they got for the Ross Cockrell trade. 

Reason for Loudermilk trade? Got a 4th for Dupree. 

Reason for Shamarko Thomas trade in 2013, was they traded a 2014 4th and received 3 comp picks that year. 

There has been 2 occasions that the Steelers have had less than 7 draft picks selected in a year since the draft was changed to 7 rounds in 1994 -- The trade up for Troy and the year we traded a first for Minkah. 

We are not going to get any comp picks next year. Any one really confident they see anyone in this QB class as they saw Troy or Minkah?

Your logic is on point, but something feels different.   Maybe because Ben is retired and we have no long term QB.   Not saying they will definitely trade up, but I feel like if they like Willis enough, they very well might do it if he falls past Carolina.

31 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

In honesty, I think the fear that Colbert is going to go off the rails and just make a pick to make a pick is a bunch of bias BS.

I have no doubt when asked if he would like to see the Steelers left with a Franchise QB when he retires that his answer was yes. But just consider the alternative: "No, I don't care. I'll be sipping on a Bloody Mary on a country club in Florida on Sundays". 

I am sure he wants to leave the team with a QB. But it also isn't solely his decision. There's way to much flip flopping on who has control. Good picks are Tomlin guys. Bad ones are Colbert. Listening to people talk that get to be inside the rooms, they said that the Steelers are probably the most collaborative group in football when it comes to picks. 

A Colbert mic drop YOLO pick that goes against everyone in the organization is weird. There's a real possibility that everyone in that organization looks at the need of QB as a desperate situation in a league driven almost solely by QB's.... but it's not going to be a pick because KC wrote down on a post-it "QB no matter what". 

I wasn’t implying he was going to make a bad pick on a QB just to draft one, I was saying I hope the fact he’s not going to be there doesn’t cloud his judgment on the value of the pick. There’s no doubt a franchise QB is the best way to leave a team, but if you’re pushing to take one because you think the talent level/value is somewhat close to another position and MAYBE it puts the team in a better spot I’d rather have them take the better talent. I’m also concerned that maybe the next GM isn’t a fan of the player and doesn’t fit his vision of the team, and would feel much better if the next guy was there making a decision with him. 

13 minutes ago, 43M said:

but something feels different.

IMO, the difference is just the position. If you don't have a QB, you really don't have anything. It's the singular biggest driving force in football. 

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

Not saying they will definitely trade up, but I feel like if they like Willis enough, they very well might do it if he falls past Carolina.

I absolutely wouldn't rule out a trade up either. I just don't think it's one of the likelist scenarios. IMO, if Willis is at 20, you might just see them make a pick with 9:59 left in their clock. But it would really be breaking rules for them to move up significantly to get one. 

That's where I think it becomes a question of "is this the class to pull a Minkah or Troy?". I am not sure they would answer yes to that -- though, I have no idea. But when you look at next year most likely having more tradable capital that they usually like to have, it seems more likely they wait one more year. 

• Like 1

This isnt a mock draft but the guys I would draft if I were the GM:

20. Daxton Hill S Michigan

52.Troy Andersen LB Montana State

84. Coby Bryant CB Cincinnati

138. Rasheed Walker OT Penn State

208. Neil Farrell NT LSU

225. Zach VanValkenburg EDGE Iowa

241. Velus Jones Jr. WR Tennessee

11 minutes ago, DR43 said:

This isnt a mock draft but the guys I would draft if I were the GM:

20. Daxton Hill S Michigan

52.Troy Andersen LB Montana State

84. Coby Bryant CB Cincinnati

138. Rasheed Walker OT Penn State

208. Neil Farrell NT LSU

225. Zach VanValkenburg EDGE Iowa

241. Velus Jones Jr. WR Tennessee

Wouldnt hate it.    I would replace the 2nd rd pick with a WR, but otherwise pretty good.

Bored Friday Mock:

1.20: Andrew Booth Jr, CB, Clemson
2.52: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincy
3.84: George Pickens, WR, Georgia
4.138: Rasheed Walker, OT, Penn State
6.208: Bo Melton, WR, Rutgers
7.255: Eyioma Uwazurike, DT, Iowa State
7.241: Scott Nelson, S, Wisconsin

Not really sure that Desmond makes it to 52 (or out of the first) or that Pickens slips all the way to round 3....but I would be extremely happy with this draft (which is what makes it so unrealistic). 

Future starting CB, potential starting QB at a second round price,  and a good receiver with upside would make me very happy in the first 2 days. 

I know some are against OT, but I think it's going to happen. There's nothing tied to Dan Moore other than an opportunity at a rookie deal cost and Chuks can easily be cut next off-season. Best case scenario with Moore and Chuks working out -- we still need a swing tackle and having one with starter upside and on a rookie deal would be ideal. 

Second receiver is the speed guy who could play a role, but most likely will cut his teeth on ST -- something we don't really have on the 53 right now. 

I don't have Connor Heyward being drafted. If he gets drafted, so be it. But you think he isn't answering the Steelers call as a priority UDFA? 

54 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think, while not bad @Dcash4, every one of those guys will be long gone before that pick. 

I heard one NFC South team has a top 10 grade on Ridder. 

Yea I’m not sure Ridder leaves the 1st…hell if the Steelers don’t trade up for Willis, I think Ridder is the Steelers guy.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I think, while not bad @Dcash4, every one of those guys will be long gone before that pick. 

I heard one NFC South team has a top 10 grade on Ridder. 

Yeah definitely, I wouldn't bet against Ridder and Pickens specifically being gone well before our picks in 2 and 3. The rest are fairly realistic, but hey -- anything can happen in the draft. But if it worked out the way PFN's mock simulator just worked out, I would be ecstatic. 

It wouldn't be surprising if that NFC south team is the Panthers. They need a ready made QB because Rhule is about to lose his job. They can't take Willis, so Ridder is the next highest upside and can, most likely, step right in as a starter. I'd be about 50/50 with the Saints and Falcons. Both teams have more time to take a swing on Willis or simply wait (though, the Saints trade would be very strange if they don't get a QB). 

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Yeah definitely, I wouldn't bet against Ridder and Pickens specifically being gone well before our picks in 2 and 3. The rest are fairly realistic, but hey -- anything can happen in the draft. But if it worked out the way PFN's mock simulator just worked out, I would be ecstatic. 

It wouldn't be surprising if that NFC south team is the Panthers. They need a ready made QB because Rhule is about to lose his job. They can't take Willis, so Ridder is the next highest upside and can, most likely, step right in as a starter. I'd be about 50/50 with the Saints and Falcons. Both teams have more time to take a swing on Willis or simply wait (though, the Saints trade would be very strange if they don't get a QB). 

I dunno which one it is. I just heard in passing from a friend of a friend one team sees this whole class as a very “safe” draft, where it’s a good floor, but Ridder is one of the few “upside” guys because of his continued improvements. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Nope. If he isn't happy in Arizona with an entire team constructed around him, what says he'd be happy here. Plus, he's never played an entire season of good ball. 

I agree. I think he's a "fun" good QB, but with a ceiling and not sure how well his game will age when he starts losing his legs. He's so small