2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

1 hour ago, August4th said:

would ya'll trade the house + break the bank for Kyler Murray?

Only QBs Id do that for are QBs who are typically untradeable.

Kyler is pretty good, but inconsistent and seeming like a bit of a diva.   

Kyler while a fun and talented player but he’s just not a good fit for Pittsburgh personality wise at all. I just can’t see a diva like him being the face of our franchise. I bet the Cardinals will be looking for a Watson type deal and if that’s the case, I’ll take a hard pass.

Side note: I’m starting to think Willis is far from a lock to be the 1st QB taken at this point and I think there’s a better chance than most people think that he’ll be available at 20.  I could see it end up going: Ridder, Corrall, Willis, Picket.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Kyler while a fun and talented player but he’s just not a good fit for Pittsburgh personality wise at all. I just can’t see a diva like him being the face of our franchise. I bet the Cardinals will be looking for a Watson type deal and if that’s the case, I’ll take a hard pass.

Side note: I’m starting to think Willis is far from a lock to be the 1st QB taken at this point and I think there’s a better chance than most people think that he’ll be available at 20.  I could see it end up going: Ridder, Corrall, Willis, Picket.

These QBs are so flawed collectively that any of them could go in any order based on who sees what in who.

There is not a single QB that really stands above the rest.   Maybe athletically, but you should never take QB based primarily on that.

Willis would be my top QB, but I dont even know if he would crack my top 50 players.

Ridder and Howell are day 3 talents IMO.

22 hours ago, 43M said:

These QBs are so flawed collectively that any of them could go in any order based on who sees what in who.

There is not a single QB that really stands above the rest.   Maybe athletically, but you should never take QB based primarily on that.

Willis would be my top QB, but I dont even know if he would crack my top 50 players.

Ridder and Howell are day 3 talents IMO.

Howell reminds me of Baker. It’s interesting that Howell has fallen so far to me. He had little talent around him this year & still produced/made plays more w/ his feet bc he didn’t have the talented wide outs & RBs he had the previous two seasons.

Ridder has everything you want in a QB, his inconsistency is a question mark though. I don’t understand it, I guess it’s footwork & technique issues. In most drafts I think he’d be a late 2nd/early 3rd in this draft he’s late 1st/anywhere in the 2nd projection.

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Howell reminds me of Baker. It’s interesting that Howell has fallen so far to me. He had little talent around him this year & still produced/made plays more w/ his feet bc he didn’t have the talented wide outs & RBs he had the previous two seasons.

Ridder has everything you want in a QB, his inconsistency is a question mark though. I don’t understand it, I guess it’s footwork & technique issues. In most drafts I think he’d be a late 2nd/early 3rd in this draft he’s late 1st/anywhere in the 2nd projection.

Ridder has everything you want in a QB….besides NFL quality arm talent. Dudes longest air yards completion was 47 yards in college….47 yards!!!

Everything else about his game is really really good. Pocket presence, processing, mobility, etc but I just don’t know if he has the arm to be a SB winning QB.

4 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Ridder has everything you want in a QB….besides NFL quality arm talent. Dudes longest air yards completion was 47 yards in college….47 yards!!!

Everything else about his game is really really good. Pocket presence, processing, mobility, etc but I just don’t know if he has the arm to be a SB winning QB.

The problem is more accuracy than arm talent IMO. He has poor footwork at times & bad mechanics at times which creates inaccuracy. If he can fix those things he can be an NFL starter.

19 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Ridder is another QB that will have to be goaded into passing the ball into NFL windows.  Watch that Georgia game when they needed him to step up and he would not throw it into the tight windows.

I also fear that his loopy throwing motion will come back when under pressure and he will, again, telegraph his passes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

Ridder is another QB that will have to be goaded into passing the ball into NFL windows.  Watch that Georgia game when they needed him to step up and he would not throw it into the tight windows.

I also fear that his loopy throwing motion will come back when under pressure and he will, again, telegraph his passes.

I would feel better about taking a chance on Ridder if we had a better OC on staff. I have little to no faith in Canada to fix Ridder’s issues. Canada’s strength is play design IMO, he’s severely lacking in play calling and player development.

For craps and giggles I decided to run a bunch of different sites with mock drafts.  So here they are:

THEDRAFTNETWORK.COM:

20 Desmond Ridder QB Cincinnati

52 Roger McCreary CB Auburn

84 Jalen Tolbert WR South Alabama

138 John Ridgewar IDL Arkansas

208 Tariq Castro-Fields CB Penn State

225 Micah McFadden LB Indiana

241 Tanner Conner WR Idaho State

Thoughts on this draft: Don't love it since QB's went fast and no need players were there without a reach.  However picks 52, 84, 138 fell awesomely for me and that's a CB1, WR1, and a NTotF.  Conner and Castro-Fields give some very high upside guys to be had later in the draft.

PFF.COM:

Traded 20 for 22 and 92

22 Andrew Booth Jr CB Clemson

52 George Pickens WR Georgia

84 Nick Cross S Maryland

92 Kellen Diesch OT Arizona State

138 Kyren Williams RB Notre Dame

208 Aaron Hansford LB Texas A&M

225 Malachi Carter WR Georgia Tech

241 Jack Coan QB Notre Dame

Thoughts on this draft: I like how it started.  The trade was nice, as was Booth and Pickens.  Then the bottom fell out on me fast.  Cross is nice, but Dietch is a luxury.  Williams is ok but was the best bet.  The last three are bodies to have in camp and maybe make the team.

FANSPEAK.COM:

20 Chris Olave WR Ohio State

52 Lewis Cine S Georgia

84 Travis Jones NT Connecticut

138 Hassan Haskins RB Michigan

208 Vincent Gray CB Michigan

225 Danny Gray WR SMU

241 Cade Hall EDGE San Jose State

Thoughts on this draft: Though Olave wasn't really scouted he's a falling talent in this mock.  And I wouldn't hate it.  Even the Gray's have a chance of being something in the NFL.  This could be a draft you get 5 starters and 2 backups come from.

PFN.COM:

Traded 20 for 44, 78, 99, 2023 Cleveland 2nd

44 Travis Jones DT Connecticut

52 Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

78 Jalen Tolbert WR South Alabama

84 Nick Cross S Maryland

Traded 99 and 241 for 102 and 2023 Miami 5th

102 Kaleb Eleby QB Western Michigan

138 Zyon McCollum CB Sam Houston State

208 Micah McFadden LB Indiana

225 Eyioma Uwazurike DT Iowa State

Thoughts on this draft: I know that trade isn't very Colbert like, but man that is amazing value for 20.  Adds to the war chest to move up next year but adds to the team this year as well.  Jones is a starter at NT in the future.  Dotson and Tolbert would complement each other so well in the passing game.  Cross is a guy I like as a mid-round safety.  I also like McCollum as a developmental long rangy corner.

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I would feel better about taking a chance on Ridder if we had a better OC on staff. I have little to no faith in Canada to fix Ridder’s issues. Canada’s strength is play design IMO, he’s severely lacking in play calling and player development.

you are seeing a fixed Ridder.  Pickett is perhaps easier to fix but I just would not touch him either.  2023 has such better QBs.  Steelers could get the 5th QB off the board and it could be better than any QB in this draft.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 2:31 PM, bigben07MVP said:

No offense, but air yards is a pretty terrible way to assess arm strength.   Very few throws are thrown that deep.  When discussing arm strength, its much more important that a QB can drive the ball into tight spaces on short and intermediate routes, and deliver passes to the sidelines that cant easily be jumped. 

His arm strength is adequate.   Not great, and Id prefer a stronger arm, but its not my issue with him, so obviously I totally disagree that "he has everything else you want".

His ball placement and decision making are so much bigger issues than his arm strength.    Even his highlights arent that impressive because alot of them were not good plays on his part.   Alot are either poorly thown passes or bad reads that either his guys adjusted to make a play, or defenders failed to make plays on.

There is almost nothing I trust about Ridder translating to the NFL....at least not enough to spend a first or second round pick on.   I would consider drafting him 3rd round, but I personally think he is a 4th or 5th rd talent if you look beyond his physical tools....which I do with QBs.    I just consider things like mobility gravy if a QB has everything else Im looking for. 

But hey, thats just me.