2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd like to add a FA runningback before the season. We've been downright terrible at drafting depth RBs. There's some guys sitting on their couch at are at least as good as Benny Snell and McFarland. 

Devonta Freeman/Darrell Williams/Jereck McKinnon 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

I was curious with what they would do as there is only one franchise tag now. In the grand scheme of things, paying $10M to a 25 year old to find out if he bounces back to form when you have a lot of cap flexibility isn't a huge deal. 

But now they couldn't use the tag on both DJ and Bush. So I am curious if that would lean towards a DJ extension eventually. Probably the new GM's move though. 

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I was curious with what they would do as there is only one franchise tag now. In the grand scheme of things, paying $10M to a 25 year old to find out if he bounces back to form when you have a lot of cap flexibility isn't a huge deal. 

But now they couldn't use the tag on both DJ and Bush. So I am curious if that would lean towards a DJ extension eventually. Probably the new GM's move though. 

I think Bush is just Done here. The GM may be changing but the coaching staff is still here. So for Tomlin and co to be willing to move on I think it’s a sign they don’t want him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think Bush is just Done here. The GM may be changing but the coaching staff is still here. So for Tomlin and co to be willing to move on I think it’s a sign they don’t want him. 

You may be right. Dude's just so young, played well enough for 2 years, and then got his knee tore up. He was never aiming to live up to the capital it took to get him, but I thought (think) they can still salvage a usable player. But I really thought with the price of receivers they may want to keep the tag available for DJ. Like you said, Bush could just be done -- but if he bounces back big, it's hard to walk away from a 25 year old that can move at that position. 

Though, you are probably better off letting him walk after a big season and taking the comp pick. 

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

You may be right. Dude's just so young, played well enough for 2 years, and then got his knee tore up. He was never aiming to live up to the capital it took to get him, but I thought (think) they can still salvage a usable player. But I really thought with the price of receivers they may want to keep the tag available for DJ. Like you said, Bush could just be done -- but if he bounces back big, it's hard to walk away from a 25 year old that can move at that position. 

Though, you are probably better off letting him walk after a big season and taking the comp pick. 

Mind you I don’t think he’s done as in can’t play. Just done here in our defense with this team. The immaturity, the easy mental mistakes, heck when your defensive captain is calling him out I think it’s a sign he’s done. 

It does make me frustrated they didn’t take a ILB in a rather decent draft for one. I think that’s part of my slight bias against the Leal pick. Yes we needed DL, but more NT on there, but even more so a bigger thumper LB was needed. Unless they think they can pick up Hightower late or Barr or Van Noy at this point. 

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It does make me frustrated they didn’t take a ILB in a rather decent draft for one.

Part of why I was surprised his option wasn't picked up (and to be fair, it was always highly likely in my mind that it wouldn't be), is because I feel like what they have done this off-season is just setup competitions for young players at positions and may the best man win -- and get a contract -- moving forward. 

Bush and Jack
Dotson, Green, and Cole
Chuks and Moore
Wallace, Sutton, and Witherspoon. 

Perfect world, all those guys work out... but in a realistic one just one player from each group goes a long, long way.

I wasn't surprised we didn't get an ILB. I really think they are going to let him battle for a roster spot and Jack has 2 years. I was super surprised we didn't leave with a S/NCB. That felt like a big missed opportunity with Edmunds and Sutton on one year deals. 

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I wasn't surprised we didn't get an ILB. I really think they are going to let him battle for a roster spot and Jack has 2 years. I was super surprised we didn't leave with a S/NCB. That felt like a big missed opportunity with Edmunds and Sutton on one year deals. 

Well, we desperately needed a training camp QB and a 2nd FB thats the brother of one of our star defensive players.    So actual positions of need are just going to have to wait another year...

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Jack is not a signal caller ( as proven by his time in Jax).  I wonder if MF will get the dot.

I can't see who else it would be. Minkah or maybe Watt. I've never heard of an EDGE doing it, but I can't think of anyone else. Bush and Jack have kind of proven to be more instinctive as opposed to heady. We need Potsie.

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I can't see who else it would be. Minkah or maybe Watt. I've never heard of an EDGE doing it, but I can't think of anyone else. Bush and Jack have kind of proven to be more instinctive as opposed to heady. We need Potsie.

Call it Galaxy brain but I think Hightower is going to be brought in.