Free agency talk

Beck Bristow

20 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Which is fine IMO. There are different ways to skin a cat. Just because the Rams went ballistic, doesn’t mean that that’s the only viable strategy.

We are setting up nicely for down the road.  When the defensive guys we signed in free agency are up, Jonah, Burrow, Higgins and Chase will be due second deals.  As fake as the cap is, we will never be the team that keeps kicking the can down the road.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

We are setting up nicely for down the road.  When the defensive guys we signed in free agency are up, Jonah, Burrow, Higgins and Chase will be due second deals.  As fake as the cap is, we will never be the team that keeps kicking the can down the road.  

As long as we go into FA like we have the last 3 years, that's ok in my opinion.  It only becomes unacceptable if we punt an offseason and go into the season with 40 million in cap room.  It would make sense we go defense heavy in the draft the next 2-3 years as our offense becomes super expensive.

I'd like to add a few things in FA. Stephon Gilmore , Ogunjobi, Spain, Flowers. Not sure how realistic any of that is, but I'm guessing it's bargains now and see where we stand after the draft. I'm guessing there will be one more significant chunk coming  but it might be an extension for a current player.

19 hours ago, Xenos said:

Then the next question is, how often have the Bengals FO restructured contracts to free up space or extend someone to reduce the current cap year numbers?

Bengals have asked players to take paycuts before. They don't usually do restructures simply to gain cap space because historically they don't spend close to the cap. They fulfill the 95% of cap minimum spending (over a 4 year window) requirement. The last couple of years they have participated in free agency from the start which is a change from past practice. If you're not a Bengals fan, you can look up articles from team employee Geoff Hobson from prior years just ahead of the start of the league year when he tries to tamp down fan expectations that the team will spend the abundant cap space on top players. 

5 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'd like to add a few things in FA. Stephon Gilmore , Ogunjobi, Spain, Flowers. Not sure how realistic any of that is, but I'm guessing it's bargains now and see where we stand after the draft. I'm guessing there will be one more significant chunk coming  but it might be an extension for a current player.

I don't really want Gilmore or Spain. Let's aim higher. Ogunjobi on another prove-it deal and Flowers would be good signings. We're now reaching the traditional Bengals free agency period. 

20 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I don't really want Gilmore or Spain. Let's aim higher. Ogunjobi on another prove-it deal and Flowers would be good signings. We're now reaching the traditional Bengals free agency period. 

Gilmore is probably the best corner available.  Wouldn't want to give him a lot of money or years due to age, but he's a better starter than anything we have and I'm not excited about playing a rookie there.

Spain would be a backup. We're not signing anymore starters for the line.

The Locked On guys talked about that if it goes on much longer, Spain might be a vet minimum guy or something like 1 year 1.5 million.  He is not in high demand.

We might be able to get someone like Gilmore on a 1 year discount if he looks at as joining a contender over the highest payday, maybe a 1 year, $10 million deal?

14 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The Locked On guys talked about that if it goes on much longer, Spain might be a vet minimum guy or something like 1 year 1.5 million.  He is not in high demand.

We might be able to get someone like Gilmore on a 1 year discount if he looks at as joining a contender over the highest payday, maybe a 1 year, $10 million deal?

Given what happened in the playoffs and SB, I would hope that Spain isn’t in high demand.

45 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals have asked players to take paycuts before. They don't usually do restructures simply to gain cap space because historically they don't spend close to the cap. They fulfill the 95% of cap minimum spending (over a 4 year window) requirement. The last couple of years they have participated in free agency from the start which is a change from past practice. If you're not a Bengals fan, you can look up articles from team employee Geoff Hobson from prior years just ahead of the start of the league year when he tries to tamp down fan expectations that the team will spend the abundant cap space on top players. 

I follow Paul Dehner and Jay Morrison on The Athletic, and I think they do a pretty good job of breaking down the current Bengals pretty well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

He got beat badly on the last play of the season.  Everyone remembers that. Of course it was one of the best players to ever play that position that beat him, and it's not like he'd come back as a starter. Much rather have him as the guard backup than Adeneji

13 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

He got beat badly on the last play of the season.  Everyone remembers that. Of course it was one of the best players to ever play that position that beat him, and it's not like he'd come back as a starter. Much rather have him as the guard backup than Adeneji

I would too, but it sounds like Spain is holding out for more money and nowhere is offering.

19 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Interestingly Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, and Eli Apple were all rated by PFF within 1.5 points of each others grades.  Stephon Gilmore was about 10 points higher, but did not have an elite grade.

Apple graded well on PFF. I do not feel comfortable having him as CB2 though. I want him as CB4 with a rookie at 5.