Military

Neumatic

7 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

Everything is waiverable. EVERYTHING. If you have something to offer the Army, they will get you in. Walk in and talk to a recruiter. 

I did, I think.  The Army Lady Recruiter just kinda seemed uninterested and shooed me away.  The Navy Recruiter, who was a guy, seemed more professional and interested.  I kinda wanted to see if I become an Army Ranger.  You know, challenge myself.  But, when they said I was too old and shooed me away, I thought that was it.  I thought I read that several years back the Army cutoff age was 42, but I guess they lowered it back to 35 at some point.

When you say waiverable, what does that mean exactly?  Does that pertain to any medical conditions as well?  For example, I sign a waiver form saying if something happens, then they're not responsible for me or I get discharged if I can't perform the duties?  Is that what you mean?

3 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

I did, I think.  The Army Lady Recruiter just kinda seemed uninterested and shooed me away.  The Navy Recruiter, who was a guy, seemed more professional and interested.  I kinda wanted to see if I become an Army Ranger.  You know, challenge myself.  But, when they said I was too old and shooed me away, I thought that was it.  I thought I read that several years back the Army cutoff age was 42, but I guess they lowered it back to 35 at some point.

When you say waiverable, what does that mean exactly?  Does that pertain to any medical conditions as well?  For example, I sign a waiver form saying if something happens, then they're not responsible for me or I get discharged if I can't perform the duties?  Is that what you mean?

I mean "waiver" as in a form to waive that rule. It's a common saying in the army. "Everything is waiverable." Meaning there is a way around every rule. It just depends on who is looking out for you.

I can understand wanting to challenge yourself. And I commend you on that. But you had better be in TREMENDOUS shape if you are going to even think about going to Ranger school. And I mean both physically AND mentally. 

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:

I mean "waiver" as in a form to waive that rule. It's a common saying in the army. "Everything is waiverable." Meaning there is a way around every rule. It just depends on who is looking out for you.

I can understand wanting to challenge yourself. And I commend you on that. But you had better be in TREMENDOUS shape if you are going to even think about going to Ranger school. And I mean both physically AND mentally. 

Yeah, I know.  It's probably silly, but I'm gonna keep pursuing all my options and seeking out information while working on life changes over the next year.  I'm gonna go talk to more people and see if I can find the right recruiter to help guide me.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:03 PM, jonu62882 said:

Yeah, I know.  It's probably silly, but I'm gonna keep pursuing all my options and seeking out information while working on life changes over the next year.  I'm gonna go talk to more people and see if I can find the right recruiter to help guide me.

Don't overlook the coast guard, man. Just saying. Unless there is a war, you will be playing dress up most of the time you are in the service. The coast guard is out there right now doing drug interdictions, search and rescues, and everything else. By all accounts it is a fantastic gig. Which is why its the hardest branch to get into.

@jonu62882 I know for a fact when I joined and went to basic the cut off was 42. There was a 41 year old guy in my platoon. That was 9 years ago though, I’m sure it’s been dropped since then. However I think that gives you a good chance of being able to get a waiver for your age. Honestly the biggest part of joining is to keep trying. A lot of people have issues that they have to work out when they go to MEPS. 

10 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

Don't overlook the coast guard, man. Just saying. Unless there is a war, you will be playing dress up most of the time you are in the service. The coast guard is out there right now doing drug interdictions, search and rescues, and everything else. By all accounts it is a fantastic gig. Which is why its the hardest branch to get into.

I thought was the Air Force, by most peoples' accounts?  Also, with the Coast Guard, don't you have to be a fantastic swimmer? 

1 hour ago, Neumatic said:

@jonu62882 I know for a fact when I joined and went to basic the cut off was 42. There was a 41 year old guy in my platoon. That was 9 years ago though, I’m sure it’s been dropped since then. However I think that gives you a good chance of being able to get a waiver for your age. Honestly the biggest part of joining is to keep trying. A lot of people have issues that they have to work out when they go to MEPS. 

Like if one recruiter says no, then keep trying elsewhere.  The first Army recruiter didn't seem very interested. 

That's why I'm gonna work my tail off, and I see where I am it in 3-6 months.  I really want the Option 40 contract with Ranger and Airborne School.  I will wait as long as needed and keep working my tail off to show how serious I am.  Academically, I feel super confident; it's the physical side where I am lacking.

I keep reading about this idea of "contracts running out/slots running out".  I am wondering if there is an optimal time to go to seek out a slot for Option 40 tantamount to early admission/late admission process with college/grad schools.

@jonu62882

Have you taken the ASVAB? That would be a good first step if you can score good. If you show good test scores you may have better luck speaking with a recruiter. Keep in mind I have no real experience with this as when I joined I was 18 and had recruiters begging me to talk to them after taking the ASVAB.

As far as I understand it the maximum age you can join the military is 42 set by Congress. Each branch has its own max age, currently the Army’s is set at 35. That can fluctuate depending on recruiting needs. So you need to find a recruiter that is willing to take the time to get a waiver request sent in, which from what iv read the recruiter also has their own recommendation on the waiver request. With that said you’re going to want to look as good as you can academically and physically. As far as getting a recruiters attention I’d bug them until they realize you’re serious about making it happen. They would rather go after the 18 y/o that thinks the army is going to be rainbows and gummy bears than put in extra work helping you get a waiver.

To be honest I don’t like your chances with the Ranger School/Airborne Contract. You’ll already be fighting an uphill battle getting the age waiver. Fight for it if that’s what you want, just know that’s something you are going to have a very tough time getting. You’ll want to be in very good physical condition and health. Those schools are no joke and can take a toll on your body. you can also get those schools with out it being in your contract. I was never into that high speed stuff so I don’t know what all the requirements are to get into the schools either. 

October is the new fiscal year for the military, that’s typically when training slots open up and are more available.

32 minutes ago, Neumatic said:

@jonu62882

Have you taken the ASVAB? That would be a good first step if you can score good. If you show good test scores you may have better luck speaking with a recruiter. Keep in mind I have no real experience with this as when I joined I was 18 and had recruiters begging me to talk to them after taking the ASVAB.

As far as I understand it the maximum age you can join the military is 42 set by Congress. Each branch has its own max age, currently the Army’s is set at 35. That can fluctuate depending on recruiting needs. So you need to find a recruiter that is willing to take the time to get a waiver request sent in, which from what iv read the recruiter also has their own recommendation on the waiver request. With that said you’re going to want to look as good as you can academically and physically. As far as getting a recruiters attention I’d bug them until they realize you’re serious about making it happen. They would rather go after the 18 y/o that thinks the army is going to be rainbows and gummy bears than put in extra work helping you get a waiver.

To be honest I don’t like your chances with the Ranger School/Airborne Contract. You’ll already be fighting an uphill battle getting the age waiver. Fight for it if that’s what you want, just know that’s something you are going to have a very tough time getting. You’ll want to be in very good physical condition and health. Those schools are no joke and can take a toll on your body. you can also get those schools with out it being in your contract. I was never into that high speed stuff so I don’t know what all the requirements are to get into the schools either. 

October is the new fiscal year for the military, that’s typically when training slots open up and are more available.

I know Ranger/Airborne could very well be a pipe dream at my age and physical state, but I am going to give it my best and see what happens.  Worst case, I don't get it, but at least I won't have regrets. 

Also, thanks for the tips.  That's some helpful stuff there.

“Army leaders said they signed up about 70,000 new active duty recruits in the fiscal year that ends Sept. 30 — well below the 76,500 they needed. The Army National Guard and Army Reserves also fell far short of their goals, by more than 12,000 and 5,000 respectively. The Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps, meanwhile, all met their recruiting goals for 2018.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/24/army-misses-2018-recruiting-goal.amp.html

Good catch, that’s pretty good news for Jonu. I myself am now going to go get a new phone number and address before they start calling me. ?

5 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I'm curious to see the details. I got hurt while deployed and I'm currently receiving treatment. Even though I can physically do my job, they will not let me until I'm no longer getting treatment. So right now I can either get the treatment that I need while "not being able" to do my job or I can say I'm good and stop treatments so I can work. I hope that something like what I'm going through wouldn't be considered for getting the boot.

Archived