Military

Neumatic

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As close as I ever got...

dont20worry20sir20im20from20the20interne

Thanks again fellas.

OMG! Thats great! xD

I was Army. 1993-2002 and then NG from 2002-2004. Would recommend it in  heartbeat to any young person considering it. 

I have been posting this today on FB to mess with all my buddies. 

Facebook-A-PSA-for-everyone-11aa3c.png

We have a colloquial term we use here; "lad". Usually reserved for those men (sometimes women) who kick the most ***, have the most courage, do something remarkable, are the envy or others. 

To those who have served, particularly in war time, but just in general. And to those that still do you. You are ultimate lads. Thank you. 

• 9 months later...

Bumping this up as I am seeking information.  First of all, thank you to all the servicemen and servicewomen, especially in remembrance of 9/11.

I am at a crossroads in my life, and I  am thinking about what to do in the next phase in my life.  I was thinking of joining the military.  A couple of problems, though.  I am 36 years old, and I am overweight.  My age apparently reduces a lot of options.

I went to a recruiting center, and the Army says that I am too old to enlist.  The cutoff is 35.  But, the Navy says I can join until 39, and even go to OCS.  I have a law degree (Juris Doctor), and Bachelor's in Business Management.  I would be interested in becoming an officer and seeking my way to becoming a JAG.  I inquired about that, and the recruiter said to send him my transcripts, and he'll get me more info from his superior.    Physically, he said I would have to at least lose about 3 inches off my waist to meet the baseline.

Anyone know anyone that enlisted at an older age?  Is this doable?  Anyone know the process for becoming a JAG and OCS? 

12 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

Bumping this up as I am seeking information.  First of all, thank you to all the servicemen and servicewomen, especially in remembrance of 9/11.

I am at a crossroads in my life, and I  am thinking about what to do in the next phase in my life.  I was thinking of joining the military.  A couple of problems, though.  I am 36 years old, and I am overweight.  My age apparently reduces a lot of options.

I went to a recruiting center, and the Army says that I am too old to enlist.  The cutoff is 35.  But, the Navy says I can join until 39, and even go to OCS.  I have a law degree (Juris Doctor), and Bachelor's in Business Management.  I would be interested in becoming an officer and seeking my way to becoming a JAG.  I inquired about that, and the recruiter said to send him my transcripts, and he'll get me more info from his superior.    Physically, he said I would have to at least lose about 3 inches off my waist to meet the baseline.

Anyone know anyone that enlisted at an older age?  Is this doable?  Anyone know the process for becoming a JAG and OCS? 

I’d look into the Air Force if I were you. Also consider the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard if you still want to live at home, or at least choose where you live. 

I’m not sure on OCS cutoff for JAG. Get in touch with a recruiter for that one. Start working on your physical fitness yesterday. 

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’d look into the Air Force if I were you. Also consider the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard if you still want to live at home, or at least choose where you live. 

I’m not sure on OCS cutoff for JAG. Get in touch with a recruiter for that one. Start working on your physical fitness yesterday. 

Thank you for the reply! 

Why do you suggest the Air Force? 

As for the fitness, I am working on that starting today.  I already started dieting (starting 1000 cal deficit while eating healthier) and exercising (at home and going to BJJ/Capoeira classes for cardio).

17 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

Thank you for the reply! 

As for the fitness, I am working on that starting today.  I already started dieting (starting 1000 cal deficit while eating healthier) and exercising (at home and going to BJJ/Capoeira classes for cardio).

Better quality of life. The pay will be the same across branches, so why not go with the better (imo) experience. 

As an example, last year doing hurricane relief in the south, Army people slept in an open air hanger while the Air Force stayed in a nearby hotel. All branches treat newer members like children, but it isn’t as bad in the AF. Experiences will vary but overall I think most would agree with this. 

19 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Better quality of life. The pay will be the same across branches, so why not go with the better (imo) experience. 

As an example, last year doing hurricane relief in the south, Army people slept in an open air hanger while the Air Force stayed in a nearby hotel. All branches treat newer members like children, but it isn’t as bad in the AF. Experiences will vary but overall I think most would agree with this. 

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Active Duty Air Force 2009-2010

Was medically discharged after blowing out my ACL, normally of course is not a disqualifying condition but having already torn it once 3 years prior I had to enter with a waiver for it. Once I was diagnosed with a torn ACL I didn't even have the opportunity to fight it. It was an automatic discharge without appeal, just had to wait for the committee to take months to finally get me processed.

It wasn't exactly a noteworthy service, I never left Lackland until I was shipping home. It is still considered an Honorable Discharge of course.

8 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

Thank you for the reply! 

Do you have a college degree or want one?
If so look into CONAP from the Army. It damn near flipped me from Air Force to Army. You get to take classes from one school within the list and transfer them to another to get the degree from the 2nd school. Talk to the recruiter about it, if they can't find any info or a list of schools for it then they suck and you should NOT waste your time further with them.

Also if they say at MEPS that you have to go to general then refuse to sign. Usually you must do a 6 year deal to get the E3 rank, I refused to sign more than a 2 year deal (why not? Get the re-enlistment bonus 4 years earlier - hell yeah), refused to sign general, and demanded the E3 rank upon graduation as the guys who signed 6 year deals were getting (not brashly or rudely though). Was told no and we had a stalemate so I walked out and straight to the Marine liaison (closest to the AF one). Talked for 3-4 minutes and the Air Force liaison I walked out on came in and asked me to come back to talk. Got it signed in my contract. Take the MEPS seriously, it is the LAST time after signing you have the leverage in negotiations. Once you sign, you do as told.

I have a lot of friends that have gone on to enjoy their AF careers, but only one or two others forced their demands once they got to MEPS. Don't roll over and show your belly at MEPS, this is a huge commitment from you, so don't shortchange yourself.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Do you have a college degree or want one?
If so look into CONAP from the Army. It damn near flipped me from Air Force to Army. You get to take classes from one school within the list and transfer them to another to get the degree from the 2nd school. Talk to the recruiter about it, if they can't find any info or a list of schools for it then they suck and you should NOT waste your time further with them.

Also if they say at MEPS that you have to go to general then refuse to sign. Usually you must do a 6 year deal to get the E3 rank, I refused to sign more than a 2 year deal (why not? Get the re-enlistment bonus 4 years earlier - hell yeah), refused to sign general, and demanded the E3 rank upon graduation as the guys who signed 6 year deals were getting (not brashly or rudely though). Was told no and we had a stalemate so I walked out and straight to the Marine liaison (closest to the AF one). Talked for 3-4 minutes and the Air Force liaison I walked out on came in and asked me to come back to talk. Got it signed in my contract. Take the MEPS seriously, it is the LAST time after signing you have the leverage in negotiations. Once you sign, you do as told.

I have a lot of friends that have gone on to enjoy their AF careers, but only one or two others forced their demands once they got to MEPS. Don't roll over and show your belly at MEPS, this is a huge commitment from you, so don't shortchange yourself.

I do have a BS in Business Management and a Juris Doctor (Law Degree).  I am also fluent in Russian and Spanish.  I am not sure if I really want to invest in obtaining another degree.  I would like to get an opportunity at JAG somewhere.  If not, I am also thinking about pursuing something in IT.  I hear that can be a lucrative path.

That is some interesting info that you provided there.  So, you basically negotiated to receive a certain rank earlier than most in your contract?  You can do that?!  Where does the leverage come from?  Is it because that recruiter gets a bonus or something?  Or they need you for a particular skill in a certain branch?  Also, how can a recruiter guarantee a certain rank/promotion like that?

Archived