Jaguars sign WR Zay Jones, 3 years, $24M base, up to $30M

Jakuvious

21 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I still can not fathom this. Zay Jones did an okay job last year. We tried to make him a deep threat and it just wasn't pretty. He did fairly well on the intermediate routes though. He's also a big locker room guy and is young still.

However this is likely double he's worth. He is a WR4 who can make the occasional play as a #3. This is a gross overpay but I hope he progresses and is worth the contract someday.

Do you understand how NFL contracts work?

8 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Are you exhausted having to defend each contract the Jags shell out? As @Jakuvious mentioned in the other thread, just because there may be an "out" after 1-2 seasons doesn't mean you didn't overpay for the first 1-2 seasons.

I like Jones but this seems like another mismanagement of assets. I could understand paying big money for proven talent for Lawrence but man this group just seems like such an uninspiring waste of time and money:

They squandered year one of Lawrence and year two is off to an underwhelming start.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Regardless, this is an overpay. And I like Zay, I would’ve liked him back. But at no more than half of what he got. 

Edited by Geezy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I am pretty sure Raider fans valued Zay around 3 or 4mil on a one year deal. He barely made the team the last two years, but he puts in work to build a relationship and trust with his QB so he was squeezed in. He isn't very good though and certainly isn't a for sure starter. He is kinda like Chris Conley, and there is talent under there and you can like the person. It's just not worth very much.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Are you exhausted having to defend each contract the Jags shell out? As @Jakuvious mentioned in the other thread, just because there may be an "out" after 1-2 seasons doesn't mean you didn't overpay for the first 1-2 seasons.

I like Jones but this seems like another mismanagement of assets. I could understand paying big money for proven talent for Lawrence but man this group just seems like such an uninspiring waste of time and money:

They squandered year one of Lawrence and year two is off to an underwhelming start.

You act like they gave him 60M GTD. This isn’t 2000 when the cap was at 62M. It’s 2022, where the cap just went up 14% from last year. Players are going to get paid in FA. This is the going rate for #3 receivers nowadays. 

Not that hard to wrap your head around.

You act like they gave him 60M GTD. This isn’t 2000 when the cap was at 62M. It’s 2022, where the cap just went up 14% from last year. Players are going to get paid in FA. This is the going rate for #3 receivers nowadays. 

Not that hard to wrap your head around.

The people trashing the deal don't think he's a good #3 WR.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

As the great Pete Prisco has said: You aren’t paying for what he’s done. You are paying for what’s to come.

Open for a TD? There is a CB with outside leverage and a single-high safety providing help inside. The safety broke the other way because Carr turned and threw the other way.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Open for a TD? There is a CB with outside leverage and a single-high safety providing help inside. The safety broke the other way because Carr turned and threw the other way.

He stared down Moreau from the jump. Instead of using his eyes to open up the middle of the field for an easy TD to Zay, he would rather throw into triple coverage.

This is how it’s done.

46 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

As the great Pete Prisco has said: You aren’t paying for what he’s done. You are paying for what’s to come.

I will throw Jags fans a bone if they want to fight on the Kirk deal. It's way too much money, but at least the player has the potential to be better than he has been. Zay Jones is just..... a guy. He got wayyyy too much money relative to what he has done and what he will be projected to do going forward. 

It's a garbage move and if any other team paid him the same amount you would be saying what everyone else is saying. Hope it works out for you guys though.

He stared down Moreau from the jump. Instead of using his eyes to open up the middle of the field for an easy TD to Zay, he would rather throw into triple coverage.

He looked to the right side of the field immediately after receiving the snap, so that's not accurate. The safety didn't appear to commit (based on his positioning) until Carr started to throw the ball. That's far from an easy TD. He'd have to squeeze a pass between the safety and CB. The easy throw there is probably to Renfrow. It's also a bit odd to trash Derek Carr when Trevor Lawrence isn't a better QB at this point in his career. Trevor has plenty of potential, but it's not like he was Russell Wilson as a rookie.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I will throw Jags fans a bone if they want to fight on the Kirk deal. It's way too much money, but at least the player has the potential to be better than he has been. Zay Jones is just..... a guy. He got wayyyy too much money relative to what he has done and what he will be projected to do going forward. 

It's a garbage move and if any other team paid him the same amount you would be saying what everyone else is saying. Hope it works out for you guys though.

Would you say Cedric Wilson was overpaid by the Phins?

And I wouldn’t say it was a garbage move if he signed a deal like this with another team. I just don’t freak out when I see the initial numbers that are reported and realize most of these deals are two year deals. If Zay balls out the first two years, he will see that 30M. He’s only going to take up 2% of our cap. 

Would you say Cedric Wilson was overpaid by the Phins?

And I wouldn’t say it was a garbage move if he signed a deal like this with another team. I just don’t freak out when I see the initial numbers that are reported and realize most of these deals are two year deals. If Zay balls out the first two years, he will see that 30M. He’s only going to take up 2% of our cap. 

Cedric Wilson has played three seasons. He showed significant growth last season. Zay Jones has played 5 and has been pretty much the same dude he has always been. Some guys don't get better... they stagnate. That is Zay Jones and that is why this contract is much worse than Ced Wilson's.

Percentage of the cap doesn't really matter. Your WR room is now crowded to the brim with mediocre(and overpaid) talent and you have massive holes all over your roster to fill. It's just a terrible way to build a team and gives credence to the idea that the Jags are going to struggle to improve in a meaningful way.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong and it all works out, but if the goal was to give TLaw a bunch of weapons to utilize in his second season.... I can't say I am excited for him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Cedric Wilson has played three seasons. He showed significant growth last season. Zay Jones has played 5 and has been pretty much the same dude he has always been. Some guys don't get better... they stagnate. That is Zay Jones and that is why this contract is much worse than Ced Wilson's.

Percentage of the cap doesn't really matter. Your WR room is now crowded to the brim with mediocre(and overpaid) talent and you have massive holes all over your roster to fill. It's just a terrible way to build a team and gives credence to the idea that the Jags are going to struggle to improve in a meaningful way.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong and it all works out, but if the goal was to give TLaw a bunch of weapons to utilize in his second season.... I can't say I am excited for him.

And Zay didn’t show anything down the stretch for the Raiders? In their last five games (regular season), he led the team in targets, tied for 1st in receptions and had the most receiving yards. When he finally got a chance, he produced. 

The Jags aren’t rolling into the season with that receiving core. They will add at least two more via the Draft. Shenault likely gets dealt and wouldn’t shock me if Marvin Jones was let go at some point. Either way, both aren’t in the plans after this season. Only Kirk, Zay and Agnew would be under contract for 2023 if that was the case.

13 hours ago, ACO said:

Greatest Show on Turf Part Deux: Electric Boogaloo. 

Sucks for Lawrence. I keep an eye on the Jaguars as another team I like, but it's annoying how inept this franchise has been for a while now. And Trent Baalke running the show is pretty demoralizing even as a second rate spectator. 

I liked Zay Jones coming out, and he still holds the record for the most receptions in a collegiate season. Coming out of ECU he's had a decent career, but he hasn't really panned out on two squads. I wonder if the Jaguars even asked Allen Robinson to come back since it never hurts to ask. If so he probably shut the door in their face, but at least you could see him getting overpaid. Kirk and Jones though? Aww hell naw. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe