49ers sign LB Oren Burks

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

2 years $5 mil per Fowler

Sounds like a key backup/special teamer role

So, does one of Al-Shair or Greenlaw get moved?

Yeah, this 100% a special teams move. 

I don't like the idea of paying yet another Linebacker (even if it is for special teams), so I'd 100% look to move Al-Shair or Greenlaw but I'm also not sure how comfortable the team is moving one of them. I've basically advocated for moving one of them all off season 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't like the idea of paying yet another Linebacker (even if it is for special teams), so I'd 100% look to move Al-Shair or Greenlaw but I'm also not sure how comfortable the team is moving one of them. I've basically advocated for moving one of them all off season 

With how bad our ST was i welcome any change on that front. For the whole Al-Shaair/Greenlaw thing i think you have to move one this season if you get even a decent offer. No way you will be able to pay both and while its great to have them you just can't keep them long term.

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

With how bad our ST was i welcome any change on that front. For the whole Al-Shaair/Greenlaw thing i think you have to move one this season if you get even a decent eoffer. No way you will be able to pay both and while its great to have them you just can't keep them long term.

Exactly my thought. Make a small football move for something you might like, even if it doesn't have the greatest chance of working out. 

I've mentioned it before, but I'd certainly see about someone like Chaisson from the Jags...I'd kick the tires on Shenault as an offensive weapon type as well. Call Mikey over in Miami and find out if he wants one of them for Igbinoghene who can't even be active most game days. I'd prefer those type of moves then just generating like a 5th round pick (though I wouldn't be mad at getting the day 3 pick either) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Burks is a talented & athletic special teamer, but playing on defense just hasn't clicked for him . He came out of Vanderbilt, having played Safety, ILB and OLB and the Packers loved his athleticism and envisioned him as a 3 down ILB with coverage capabilities. He's plenty bright enough to handle the job...but for some reason he's just never put it all together mentally as defender. Gets lost too often. OCs targeted him in passing game and he didn't rise to the occasion often enough. Packers even tried him outside in a pass rush role - so he's had a wealth of experience in different roles  - and maybe your coaches can get more out of him.
Solid citizen, good team mate, plays hard, ST player.  Good luck

• Like 7