San Fran will most likely trade out of #1 (or #2).

JustPlainNasty

56 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Seems like this is the case with every draft class. There’s about 12 rSophs and juniors that look the part but as soon as the spotlight hits them they wither. 

The problem is guys like Mike Miller look at the condensed time, and look at the tools, and project this just huge amount of production/progression.  And it rarely happens, because the team wins, so the coach doesn't really want change.  Add on that lots of these QB's play in a pass happy system (Mayfield, Rudolph) that makes it hard to judge their arm and what they really are capable.  Then add in the lack of teams running a power formation anymore (PSU could have easily beat MSU and OSU had they had a I-formation in the books because they failed to convert so many 3rd & 1, 3rd & 2) and you don't get to see the drop and footwork of the QB's. 

Then through the pre-draft system they aren't under pressure, so you get to see this rehearsed drop from center and you can actually see some of them counting as they drop.  This is my beef with the combine that I wish they could change up how it's done.  I would love to see a C-G with DT rusher on short drops.  You get a better idea of all 4 players abilities.  Longer drops I would like to see OT-TE with a DE/OLB and the QB.  To test their arms, control, and the WR, I would like to see some drills with a LB/S and CB doing bracket coverage, a picket fence throw, etc.  Just give some more 'in game' situations.  

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

draft Trace McSorely

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *takes breath* OOOOOOO...

sorry, I'm done. I get what your sayin here War, but I'm mad enough that McJumpball is on my college team...I don't want his name even mentioned on my pro one. 

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *takes breath* OOOOOOO...

sorry, I'm done. I get what your sayin here War, but I'm mad enough that McJumpball is on my college team...I don't want his name even mentioned on my pro one. 

Well I'm a PSU "fan" (graduated, but CBB and UConn mean much more to me) too, and I meant that more as a dis to Mayfield than anything else.

Yeah....this QB class is ALOT more disappointing than I thought it was going to be.    Im honestly not sure there is a QB I would take in the first round.    Then again, I said the same thing about last years QB class and DeShaun Watson surely looked the part, so I could be wrong.   

If we are picking 26-32, I could probably live with a QB depending who it is, but no one excites me.    I get that in the late first, most of the QBs that excite people are long gone,  but in alot of cases, you'll have somewhat safe guys with somewhat limited upside (Andy Dalton) or youll have guys who have huge upside but need alot of work (Derek Carr).   This year, I dont really see that.    For instance, I dont think Baker Mayfield is safe, nor do I feel he has great upside.    I see mid round talent who will be overdrafted.   

23 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yeah....this QB class is ALOT more disappointing than I thought it was going to be.    Im honestly not sure there is a QB I would take in the first round.    Then again, I said the same thing about last years QB class and DeShaun Watson surely looked the part, so I could be wrong.   

If we are picking 26-32, I could probably live with a QB depending who it is, but no one excites me.    I get that in the late first, most of the QBs that excite people are long gone,  but in alot of cases, you'll have somewhat safe guys with somewhat limited upside (Andy Dalton) or youll have guys who have huge upside but need alot of work (Derek Carr).   This year, I dont really see that.    For instance, I dont think Baker Mayfield is safe, nor do I feel he has great upside.    I see mid round talent who will be overdrafted.   

I was convinced we were going to take one next year, but now I'm not so sure.  Given the way Ben played the other night and the fact that they seem to like Landry and Dobbs for the time being, it might not happen at all.  

We are built for the SB now, so I wouldn't mind loading up on other positions of need and see how far we can get with those 3.   Of course, if Ben gets hurt or retires, I'll be changing my tune in a hurry.  

8 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

I was convinced we were going to take one next year, but now I'm not so sure.  Given the way Ben played the other night and the fact that they seem to like Landry and Dobbs for the time being, it might not happen at all.  

We are built for the SB now, so I wouldn't mind loading up on other positions of need and see how far we can get with those 3.   Of course, if Ben gets hurt or retires, I'll be changing my tune in a hurry.  

I see them going the route of bridge QB for if Ben retired.  If Ben retired this offseason we could have a plethora of decent QB's to pick from.  Smith, Taylor, Bradford/Keenum (IIRC) and the generic surprise cuts.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I see them going the route of bridge QB for if Ben retired.  If Ben retired this offseason we could have a plethora of decent QB's to pick from.  Smith, Taylor, Bradford/Keenum (IIRC) and the generic surprise cuts.

Could definitely see that.  I'm higher on LJ than many on here.  (after being very DOWN on him the first 3 years)  Honestly, wouldn't surprise me if they rolled with Landry for a season before doing that.

Just now, August4th said:

would you guys feel comfortable in the steelers trading a high pick for for brissett ? and see what he can do for a yr or two as the starter(assuming ben retires soon)

I was impressed with Brissett.  Haven't watch him a ton, but my initial knee-jerk reaction is:  not a first rounder, but yes, I'd definitely consider it.  

On 11/7/2017 at 9:10 PM, JLambert58 said:

I can't imagine the Steelers FO giving up anything like three 1s or that type of deal for one pick unless they LOVED the guy.  JPN, who do you like best out of this years' class?  Who would be worth making that kind of sacrifice for?

I don't recall what was given up by the Eagles & Rams in 2016 to get up that far.  Obviously they didn't have as far to go.  I could see them jumping up like 10 spots, a la Polamalu, but probably not all the way.  

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Easily the highest floor is Josh Rosen and he's absolutely a Top 5 pick in just about any class. Yeah there are attitude concerns but he seems like a perfectionist if anything to me. A kid that is capable of doing his job really well and learning the necessary skills to be successful better than anybody, like a machine. He's been like that since he started college. Tells me he's driven and puts in the work. 

I do have some slight concerns about Darnold, but do like his ability. I wouldn't be against him staying in school another year. As big as he's played in those big games, I get some impression that the enormity of everything might have caught up with him some. I just think he could sharpen his knives some more and be better prepared to read and understand things, rather than react. 

I wasn't nearly as high on Josh Allen as everybody tried to hype him up to. There were definite concerns that needed to be addressed (accuracy and wildness mainly) Despite his struggles I did like some things much more that I saw on him this year. Im still working on him. His physical tools are what everyone would like to have. He has a lot of value and should go in top 10 of most drafts. Maybe not day 1 ready but neither was Mahomes. 

Baker Mayfield is definitely not anything close to Trace McSorley. There should be definite concerns about Mayfield antics and off field stuff, however I see him doing Phillip Rivers like stuff on the field, he's fiery and competitive (with the exception of the grabbing himself). I don't love that or the good old boy thing, but it doesn't hurt when it comes to competition. Baker Mayfield has a quality arm, Trace McSorley does not. I worry some about Mayfield'ds height and stepping up into the pocket but I have seen him climb inside some. He can make throws from all angles and makes a lot of good decisions. Trace McSorley has a very questionable arm and makes a lot of questionable concerning throws and reads. The one thing Trace has that compares to Mayfield is the fiery competitiveness. 

Lamar Jackson for me still needs to add on some weight to make me comfortable with him being a qb in the pros and lasting. His running ability is unlike anything we have seen in some time. I think of Gale Sayers more so than Michael Vick, he's pretty amazing in the open field, not just with acceleration but his movements. He has a good arm and his release is quicker and shorter than I tend to give him credit for. I think I get caught up in a Randall Cunningham/ Robert Griffin mindset when im watching him. His game is very raw yet it seems, but he is amazing with what he can do. I'd like to see him stay and work on his game and add some more thickness. 

Not a fan of Mason Rudolph, very stiff. Accuracy is a concern. Looks a lot like an Oklahoma State quarterback. I had higher hopes for him coming into the season but I dont see anything more. I still need to work on all these guys so I don't want to write anybody off just yet. 

As for the Steelers...  If Ben leaves Im not against them making a move if there is a guy they like. There seems to be some interesting options developing though within the league. Hell, Josh McCown could play with this team and get to the playoffs.  I am a fan of Oklahoma TE- Mark Andrews. Love to find a great safety as well. Also Rutgers DE/OLB Kemoko Turray is high on my radar. 

I think this draft class will really be a good one for us, assuming Ben comes back. There are some quality safeties and tight ends coming out. Those are our biggest needs. We just really need Ben to come back and maybe do a team friendly extension so we can keep Bell and the band together. If Ben doesn't come back we could be in a dicey situation. Better hope Dobbs improves with some seasoning.

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think this draft class will really be a good one for us, assuming Ben comes back. There are some quality safeties and tight ends coming out. Those are our biggest needs. We just really need Ben to come back and maybe do a team friendly extension so we can keep Bell and the band together. If Ben doesn't come back we could be in a dicey situation. Better hope Dobbs improves with some seasoning.

Goederrt is pretty awesome from South Dakota St. but I've always liked Andrews. Goederrt should be a star. 

Oregon's Tyree Robinson is very intriguing to me in regards to safety. 

Archived