Ravens Bring Back Michael Pierce 3-year 16.5M Deal

baltimoreRebel

4 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I believe he missed 8 games. Hopefully it works out. The price is right on this. Love the deal. 

Absolutely love the contract. Once we hear details, might only be on books for 2 years. 29 entering the season and might be rejuvenated. Still one of the better NT in league. 

Options to move Williams to DE in our 3-4 and they both can play DT in a nickel look

love it 

15 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

Would rather have Goldman but to be honest after Smith screwed us it is what it is at this point… 

Me too, but Goldman guarantee is more money (unless I’m wrong and I’ll eat my words) 

This gives us DT depth to not go DT early in draft. Also we should still have money to add pass rusher or O Line 

Pierce only played in 8 games total for the Vikings over two years. He opted out in 2020. So not a lot of wear and tear on him since leaving the Ravens. I think it's fine. You don't really want the nose tackle being an every-down player anyways. With his surprising ability to be a factor in disrupting the pocket the line will be solid. Don't think this does anything to change potential draft plans - Jordan Davis could still be in the works - but it at least gets another quality option in the rotation.

At least I hope there's a an actual rotation that isn't forced by injuries to the starters. Come on Macdonald don't let me down. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Allows us to not force DT in round 1

Don't need to force it, but also pretty good complement to Davis were we to get him at 14 IMO.  This deal is more than modest enough to justify Pierce being very much a rotational tackle. 

Ravens averaged 2.1 DT/NTs per play last season. Health obviously plays a huge amount of this, but something like (2021 Ravens snap count numbers in parens)...

Madubuike 50% (44.49%)
Pierce 40% (N/A)
Davis 40% (N/A)
Washington 20% (26.93%)
Isaiah Mack 20% (2.85%)
Wolf / Campbell / Other ~50% (56.71% for Campbell)

Puts you at 2.1 again. Obviously could be a big swing based on what happens with Campbell and/or Wolf. 

The dream would be for the number to get back to the 2019 level of 1.75***, which would mean we're running tons of Dime late in the game ahead big

*** Excludes Jihad Ward, who lined up as an inside rusher in Dime packages a fair amount, if he were included my guess is that it might be closer to 1.9 or 2 flat if his edge snaps are corrctly backed out

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Pierce only played in 8 games total for the Vikings over two years. He opted out in 2020. So not a lot of wear and tear on him since leaving the Ravens. I think it's fine

Its also been 3 years since he's been good so am super wary of him and this deal

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Its also been 3 years since he's been good so am super wary of him and this deal

Eh, given the Covid absence, this is sort of the equivalent of saying "it's been 8-years since team X has won a gold medal." 

And by most metrics, he was pretty good when he did play last year (career high in sacks despite limited games, strong pressure %, good PFF grades, etc.)

• 1 month later...