Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Thank you.

But....we franchised him.  Which means if he is signed by another team, we get two first round picks.

That didn't happen.  

So what is the official process?  Do we remove the tag, sign him to the deal and then ship him to Vegas?  If we sign him to the deal, are we obligated to pay any guaranteed money?

Or does he get traded to Vegas while on the tag and they have to do the new deal?

I'm curious.  I thought if someone was franchised and was offered by another team, the original team could match the offer and retain the player, or the player leaves and 2 firsts go to team.

Well it’s likely because the player isn’t going to sign 

1 minute ago, wgbeethree said:

I think the distinction is that they traded him (which obviously nets you whatever you negotiate) and then he signed an extension with the Raiders vs. the Packers declining to match an offer sheet (which would net you the two firsts).

Okay, so....

We traded him while he was under the franchise tag?  I didn't know that was possible.

And by doing that, he is now technically under the franchise tag with Vegas?  And they will just negotiate the new deal and be done with it?  (long shot, but if he is still on the franchise tag, could some one else sign him to a better offer and Vegas receives 2 first round picks?)

I'm still trying to understand how we didn't get that extra first round pick.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Well it’s likely because the player isn’t going to sign 

This joggs my memory.  Signing.

We franchised him.  But he didn't sign it, right?  Once he signs it, he is locked in.  That's why franchised players don't sign those things until much later in the year.

Once they are signed to that tag, then the 2 first round picks come into play?

Just now, vegas492 said:

This joggs my memory.  Signing.

We franchised him.  But he didn't sign it, right?  Once he signs it, he is locked in.  That's why franchised players don't sign those things until much later in the year.

Once they are signed to that tag, then the 2 first round picks come into play?

Yeah he hasn’t signed anything. He had until like June something. Meaning GB owns his rights but Adams could talk to other teams and get a deal.

If he signs with a team… GB either matches or gets the 2 1st. Like no team wanted to give up 2 1st and the highest non QB contract. So Raiders explored their options… Adams was the best so they got close to that 2 1st mark.

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Yeah he hasn’t signed anything. He had until like June something. Meaning GB owns his rights but Adams could talk to other teams and get a deal.

If he signs with a team… GB either matches or gets the 2 1st. Like no team wanted to give up 2 1st and the highest non QB contract. So Raiders explored their options… Adams was the best so they got close to that 2 1st mark.

So the key here was 'Vante not signing that franchise offer, right?

Because that makes sense.  As does the other part of your explanation.  Thank you.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Thank you.

But....we franchised him.  Which means if he is signed by another team, we get two first round picks.

That didn't happen.  

So what is the official process?  Do we remove the tag, sign him to the deal and then ship him to Vegas?  If we sign him to the deal, are we obligated to pay any guaranteed money?

Or does he get traded to Vegas while on the tag and they have to do the new deal?

I'm curious.  I thought if someone was franchised and was offered by another team, the original team could match the offer and retain the player, or the player leaves and 2 firsts go to team.

That is correct! I would bet Adams  and his agent worked it out with Green Bay to negotiate a trade with Vegas because he didn't want to be here. Green Bay obliged and Vegas and Green Bay agreed on compensation. 

Green Bay holds out for 2 - 1sts, Vegas says no, Adams doesn't sign the deal and Green Bay is screwed. We did extremely well given the situation. 

You can bet Green Bay knew Adams was dug in his position as well. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

So the key here was 'Vante not signing that franchise offer, right?

Because that makes sense.  As does the other part of your explanation.  Thank you.

I think the hold up was no team was going to sign Adams with the tag… period end of statement. So it was this weird place for GB, either sit on a disgruntled WRs and lose out on picks and cap or take the best offer right now while there are FAs and other trades to be had.

So it was likely was the raiders going… look we aren’t giving you 2 1st but we can get close. Let’s just make the deal and GB had the choice… be stuck with an even more pissed off Adams or just take the best deal and regroup fast.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That didn't happen.  

The process is: Player signs tender, making him legally under contract to team A, team A then trades him to team B, team B inks the player to a new deal.

The "Two First Round Picks" thing is in case the Raiders sign him to an offer sheet, which the Packers would have Right of First Refusal (i.e. they can match the offer to retain him).  This is exactly the same as the process with signing restricted free agents, it's just much rarer because two first round picks is a lot.

A first round pick in 2022 and 2023 is considered exactly the same value as a 1st and a 2nd round pick in 2022 per conventional draft value wisdom, so the reason the Raiders offered a trade instead of signing Davante to the offer sheet is that this removes the chance that the Packers would match the offer meaning they don't get Davante.

5 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Because he's still pretty good? We have oft-injured Cobb coming off 28 catches and Amari Rodgers couldn't even crack the rotation. These are the slots people are supposedly comfortable with.

Beasley had a Y/R of 8.5. yards and a catch% of 73.2. 

Cobb had a Y/R of 13.4 yard and a catch% of 71.8. 

Cobb is a year younger than Beasley. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You need to stop with these facts. Feeling are more important! 😁

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That would matter a lot more if they were on similar volume and had similar durability.

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

That would matter a lot more if they were on similar volume and had similar durability.

Beasley isn't even a full time starter, and his volume plummeted in the second half due to having subpar durability. Beasley has never had a 1000 yard season. 

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Beasley isn't even a full time starter, and his volume plummeted in the second half due to having subpar durability. Beasley has never had a 1000 yard season. 

Last year he played more games than Cobb has in six years and has more catches in each of the last two years than Cobb has had since 2014.

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Last year he played more games than Cobb has in six years and has more catches in each of the last two years than Cobb has had since 2014.

We know Cobb isn't going anywhere and neither is Amari Rodgers. Beasley is not in play for us. 

• Like 1